Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple drops Iphone2 2G support.

well remember it's not like your phone is going to cut off and not work any more, you just can't update and as far as support for future apps, there are plenty around that are supported, and if it bothers you enough and your 2g is in good shape do what i did sell it and take the $$$ to put down on a newer model, a 4G or a cheap 3Gs ( the price will drop when the 4g's are out)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sigz View Post
    Kids?

Oh and btw "kid", maybe it's time for YOU to update your 3G device, so you can be current with technology.
    I've got a 32GB 3GS, so I upgraded quite a while ago.

I'm just saying those with a 2G iphone should not expect constant free updates. Those phones are severely limited in RAM, and there's only so much they can handle. You got up to 3.1.3, stick with that until you can afford to upgrade

Apple shouldn't waste their time supporting the 2G; they need to spend their time improving my 3GS and Ipad, and working on the next Iphone
    To live, you have to lie

I think he was referring to the fact your Device and Firmware is still showing 3G 2.2
    You might like to update that. (or you might not...)
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    How many cell phones even get a firmware update? How many Android handsets even have 2.1, 3 months after it was released?

Name me a 3-year old handset that still gets regular updates? The original Iphone got massive updates from the 1.0 software, and everyone who has one should be grateful for that.

The original Iphone can hardly handle 3.0+ updates.

It's time to upgrade, kids.
    When I pay over $500 for a phone, i don't expect it to be dropped from the support chain in just three years...period. It would be one thing if the apps that do not require the newer hardware would all continue to work with no problems, but we all know that will not be the case. New games which will be fully capable of running on the 2G's hardware, will be 4.0 or later compatible only in a short amount of time. And that is complete bull$hit in my opinion! And just for the record, I am using a new 3GS, but that's not the point. Instead of my son being able to use my 2G the way he should, it will now become a very expensive ipod touch, and Apple is essentially forcing me to upgrade and commit to another two year contract in order to use the features I bought the original for...new features aside.

I think Apple is becoming a "victim," here, of their own success. The points are well taken that most handheld devices don't get much support beyond their "cycle," but I also see the point that this is such a well-designed piece of tech that people's expectations run a bit higher.

Just my two cents...

any bets on whether the G4 iPhone will have a removable battery? All these unsupported iPhone 2Gs will eventually be DOA when their batteries start recharging. Then they really WILL be "bricks!" LOL (actually, that's more sad than funny)

Maybe they will let customers turn them in for credit on the new phones, but i doubt it. You can't even turn in a battery-dead iPhone to a women's shelter.

Just saw on the Gizmodo reports the "prototype" did not have a removable battery. bummer.
    Last edited by quicknight; 2010-04-23 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added quotes, new ideai; update to new idea

Now that Android works on the 2G , I'm pretty sure someone can get 4.0 onto the 2G ...

Strange logic there!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

ya.. i dont think so dude

is that real ? hope it is !
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eysn1VCInk[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Noor_ar View Post
    Now that Android works on the 2G , I'm pretty sure someone can get 4.0 onto the 2G ...
    Damn, you would think it could be possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Noor_ar View Post
    but would you want to? it's designed for a faster processor, right? would't it be pretty slow?

multitasking would be nice, tho'

Quote Originally Posted by quicknight View Post
    but would you want to? it's designed for a faster processor, right? would't it be pretty slow?

multitasking would be nice, tho'
    I don't know if I'd want to. I'd tell you I'd rather check it out and try it.

Some people think 3.1.3 slows down the 2G... Yet, I've had zero issues to date with speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigz View Post
    I don't know if I'd want to. I'd tell you I'd rather check it out and try it.

Some people think 3.1.3 slows down the 2G... Yet, I've had zero issues to date with speed.
    Aha! A fellow 2G. Are yo contract or prepaid? ATT or Tmobile?

Jailbroken? Unlocked? Pwnage? Blackra1n? Redsn0w? Blacksn0w?

I ask for several reasons. With all the "developers" out there, it's hard to know which was is best to go. Me? I'm redsn0w JB/UL, but I'm having issues with the BT radio right now. Also, I'd like to take a stab at the Android installation, but I'm afraid that I will get hung up, not having the right hack to begin with.

TO BRING THIS POST BACK TO THE TOPIC, I have had some issues with speed and I think it's because of SLOWER, inferior processors as I've certainly notices decreased speeds after downgrading from a 2nd gen iPod Touch to the iPhone 2G. But your point makes me think that maybe I just have the wrong hack?

The iPT has a faster processor than the iPhone so what do you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    The iPT has a faster processor than the iPhone so what do you expect?
    Well, now that I know this information, I guess it's a no-brainer. Interesting signature line, btw. I guess my 5 minutes are up...

Then apple should offer a fair trade in value for iPhone2G owners. Exchange your 2G for a 3G and pay a $100 difference. That would be the respective thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by quicknight View Post
    Aha! A fellow 2G. Are yo contract or prepaid? ATT or Tmobile?

Jailbroken? Unlocked? Pwnage? Blackra1n? Redsn0w? Blacksn0w?

I ask for several reasons. With all the "developers" out there, it's hard to know which was is best to go. Me? I'm redsn0w JB/UL, but I'm having issues with the BT radio right now. Also, I'd like to take a stab at the Android installation, but I'm afraid that I will get hung up, not having the right hack to begin with.

TO BRING THIS POST BACK TO THE TOPIC, I have had some issues with speed and I think it's because of SLOWER, inferior processors as I've certainly notices decreased speeds after downgrading from a 2nd gen iPod Touch to the iPhone 2G. But your point makes me think that maybe I just have the wrong hack?
    Prepaid ATT, Jailbroken/Unlocked through RedSnow.

My 2G has been perfect since the day I got it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

......there is always a way, the majority of technology is hackable, otherwise i'll just run android on my first gen lol
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12