Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Complications" - explanation from posixninja

Thanks

Default "Complications" - explanation from posixninja
    Posixninja updated his blog today explaining what's going on with Greepois0n.
    I suggest you all give this a read before you start making assumptions/accusations about greenpois0n's legitimacy.

Let me start off by saying that these have been some of the wildest and craziest months I could possibly imagine. So many new things have happened; I'm really not sure where to begin. But I think I'll start by clearing up a couple of common questions and misunderstandings.

The one question I get asked the most (other than “when are you going to release?”) is “what is greenposi0n?” Put simply, greenposi0n is a toolkit designed to help discover and exploit new vulnerabilities. Let me repeat that, Greenposi0n itself is NOT an exploit. Most exploits typically have much more boring and technical names, such as “iBoot Environment Variable Overflow” or “usb_control_msg(0x21, 2)”. Tools, on the other hand, are typically given more creative names, like redsn0w, blackra1n, or greenposi0n. Even though most of these tools use the same exploits, each one has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. Redsn0w was designed to be robust and low maintenance by using Apple's own NOR flashing routines, whereas blackra1n was designed to be small, fast, and have a low memory footprint. While both these tools are excellent pieces of software, neither had the flexibility nor advanced capabilities that we were really looking for. Thus greenposi0n was born.

While we do have a GUI designed to allow users to perform a simple jailbreaking, the true power is hidden away in our advanced exploit payload. Once injected into iBoot, greenposi0n inserts many new and powerful commands allowing you to do everything from accessing the AES engine to decrypt firmware keys, hook and call into existing iBoot functions, read and write to blockdevices, including the filesystem (although filesystem is read only right now), and even set breakpoints within iBoot to dump registers and stack information during runtime.

So what about the exploit I mentioned in the last post? It's still there, and turns out it's the exact same exploit Geohot demonstrated in his iPod Touch 3g video a few weeks ago, but since that time, there have been quite a few new developments. By now, I'm sure everyone has seen or heard about the userland “spirit” exploit demonstrated by Comex, and which was used to jailbreak the first iPad. This exploit is by far one of the most impressive pieces of work I think this community has seen in quite some time. The only problem with this method of jailbreaking is it can be easily patched by Apple in the next firmware update. Also, since the exploit being used resides in userland, you're denied access to many of the low level hardware features, including the ability to decrypt firmware keys. iBoot exploits, on the other hand, are much lower level and offer much more freedom to interact directly with the system unrestricted. With the exploit being so much more powerful, we've decided it would be wiser to release the “spirit” exploit first and hold onto the iBoot exploit until the next hardware revision.

Soon after this decision, I quickly set to work porting “spirit” to run on Linux and adding these capabilities into greenposi0n. At the same time, Comex, a number of members from iPhone Dev Team, and Chronic-Dev Team helped by fixing many possible snags and getting Cydia prepared to run on the iPad. It was truly an epic display of cooperation by everyone involved. Everything was progressing smoothly until yesterday. The boy-wonder Geohot threw a wrench in our gears once again after discovering a NEW exploit that pretty much blows everything we've got out of the water. So now we're forced to reconsider our release plans once again. As of today (I can't speak for tomorrow, for all I know everything could change again), both the original exploit I posted about earlier and the new “spirit” exploit are probably going to be held off for a little bit longer to avoid being patched by Apple. Also, today I mentioned on my twitter that I can almost guarantee an exploit for 3.1.3/3.2 (all devices, and all models!) before the end of the month. I would strongly advise everyone to keep a close eye on Geohot's blog for updates in the near future. And if you haven't already, PLEASE backup your SHSHs with either firmware umbrella or using Saurik method.
    entertheninja: Complications

P.S. OMG at the lack of grammar mistakes
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angiepangie For This Useful Post:

DeanBoro (2010-04-11), metaserph (2010-04-12), whereswaldo (2010-04-11)

i always thought greenpoisi0n was the jailbreak, i guess i was wrong
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

I think I would rather have the tools needed to find my own unlock and jailbreak rather then waiting around for someone else to do it. If others had this same attitude noone would go without a jailbroken iPhone

Thanks

^hmmmm, ok?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    ^hmmmm, ok?
    You dont agree..?
    Its like the "Teach a man to fish" saying..
    I dont understand why only a handfull of guys are jailbreaking..

If I knew what the tools were to do it I'd teach myself & prolly find more then 1 fault in the system.. Or not..lol

Thanks

Are you being serious?

Why are only a few people doing it? Because not many people have the necessary skills and of those who do not many want to put the time into a thankless job.

Do you really think it's so simple?

Thanks

Yep completely serious if I knew what tools were needed I'd teach myself and would have no worries about being thanked or not. I take pride in everything I do and that's enough for me. I've "hacked" into many things but never my iPhone....... Yet lol

Prolly take me a good chunk of time but I'd get'er done & no I dont think it would be easy @ all but a good learning experience none the less..
    Last edited by Cid6.7; 2010-04-12 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks

Well, I guess it's a good thing
    You don't know how to do it, because you don't seem to understand why they aren't releasing a jailbreak yet!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cid6.7 View Post
    You dont agree..?
    Its like the "Teach a man to fish" saying..
    I dont understand why only a handfull of guys are jailbreaking..

If I knew what the tools were to do it I'd teach myself & prolly find more then 1 fault in the system.. Or not..lol
    or not...

Thanks

Sure I do why release something early so they can patch the hole as soon as its released causing thousands or hundreds of thousands of "patched" iPhones to that 1 exploit...IF there were more JB'ers who found more exploits it would be harder for them to close them all with a single patched OS..

Plus it would get rid of some of these "begging followers"..lol
    "Where's the damn JB I want it now wah wah wah"..lol

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    or not...
    Yep your prolly right on that one lol but I'd have a hella fun tryin..!
    Last edited by Cid6.7; 2010-04-12 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

thats the spirit, but who knows , you could be the next geohot if you apply yourself

Thanks

LOL just 20 years older !