Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH iTunes 9 working

Default SSH iTunes 9 working
    The new iTunes 9 update comes with many improvements, but the loss of SSH comes too. The release of iPhone Explorer overcomes this issue though. It is the only way to SSH your iPhone with the update right now that I know of. It is also both Mac and Windows compatible. Just install it and use "Real iPhone Root Directory."

Download iPhone Explorer from iPhone Explorer - A USB iPhone browser for Mac and PC.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SirTimothy1 For This Useful Post:

A_DuB187 (2009-09-12)

Thanks

Thank you for sharing that I had no idea!
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have itunes 9 and use WinSCP to SSH. I am having no problems. I have not ever used Real iPhone Root Directory but will try it out I am leaving town and have a notebook that I teather when I am TDY. I will have to try this out to make sure it works also.
    If I have helped you please hit the Thanks button.

How is it possible to use WinSCP with iTunes 9 installed? Could you post instructions please?
    I enabled SSH on phone, started iTunnel and then got error connection in winSCP. Perhaps do you use it in wifi?

Can you change folder/file permissions in iPhone Explorer?

Quote Originally Posted by oldhouse View Post
    How is it possible to use WinSCP with iTunes 9 installed? Could you post instructions please?
    I enabled SSH on phone, started iTunnel and then got error connection in winSCP. Perhaps do you use it in wifi?
    you are correct, usinf wifi to SSH is the only way if ur using any normal SSH program such as Cyberduck or WinSCP etc. I have not used this iPhone Explorer, but im guessing it works with EDGE wich WinSCP does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Taji View Post
    you are correct, usinf wifi to SSH is the only way if ur using any normal SSH program such as Cyberduck or WinSCP etc. I have not used this iPhone Explorer, but im guessing it works with EDGE wich WinSCP does not.
    No, iphone explorer works through usb cable, as it used to work winscp together with itunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhouse View Post
    No, iphone explorer works through usb cable, as it used to work winscp together with itunnel.
    I said "using normal SSH program" not using iphone explorer as ive never used it (aso said in my post).. you was trying to use WinSCP, when I used that on my old Vista Desktop I had to be on wifi or it wouldnt connect. Not sure what iTunnel is, but from some posts im assuming it allows USB connection between your pc and iphone? I dont know, but like I said, if your just using a normal SSH program you need to be on wifi to do it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So it will work if you are trying to SSH with WIFI not with any program that uses USB to connect. Is that correct because I can use winscp with it no problem. I have a notebook and want to update but am TDY and do not want to mess it up so i can not SSH. I guess I will have to wait.
    If I have helped you please hit the Thanks button.

Can someone explain the meaning of this post??

I have iTunes 9, and a 3GS running 3.0 and I still can use FileZilla to SSH into my iPhone via my wireless home network.

What is this crap about losing SSH with iTunes 9??????
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

Having read the whole post it appears that SSH via a USB cable is not possible without this program.

I've never actually tried via a cable so I wouldn't know.

Presumably there are actually some people who don't have WiFi, strange, I know, but there are some very strange people out there!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, I am getting a .Net Framework "unhandled exception". I am wondering if maybe this does not work on 64-bit.

My setup is Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, iTunes 9 64bit.

For the comments regarding WiFi vs USB exploring, I prefer USB, as I don't have WiFi on at all times (mostly due to Battery saving)....but yes, Wifi still works fine.
    kwickone I.T.H.

Do you have the latest .Net Framework?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Do you have the latest .Net Framework?
    Well, I have what came with Windows 7. I would hope that is the latest...but you never know with Microsoft
    kwickone I.T.H.

Win 7 comes with3.5 SP1 so unless it needs 4.0 which is still Beta....

I use 32 bit so don't know - maybe it is an incompatibility with 64 bit.

Thanks

Can't you SSH with WinSCP anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Having read the whole post it appears that SSH via a USB cable is not possible without this program.

I've never actually tried via a cable so I wouldn't know.

Presumably there are actually some people who don't have WiFi, strange, I know, but there are some very strange people out there!
    Seriously?! I don't believe you...
    Last edited by angiepangie; 2009-09-21 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Actually I don't see what is strange if I want to have less radiations at home and I don't need a wifi connection...
    Anyway yes, this thread is about having SSH to work with USB cable, which is much more convenient when you are away from home without a wifi connection and just usb cable with you.

Thanks

Plus.. there is an update to iphonebrowser. Now supports iTunes 9

I try to have as much radiation at home as possible - it cuts down on the heating bill

I don't think I've ever wanted to SSH on to my phone so badly it can't wait 'til I get home...

^ missing the point much? It's not really about simply SSH-ing into the iPhone but more about being able to browse your phone with an application like DiskAid or iPhone Browser, thru USB, which is faster than WiFi. It's also something that has been recently disabled by Apple, so yes, we should care, even if you can still SSH / SFTP via wifi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast