Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes 9 upgrade --DO THIS FIRST

Default iTunes 9 upgrade --DO THIS FIRST
    Before upgrading to iTunes 9

As you know there has been some issues after upgrading to Itunes 9 (iphonebrowser, iFunbox and a few others seem to be broken after upgrade). Seems like it does something to USB connections..

So if you are going to upgrade to try out version 9, do this FIRST...

Make copy of your "CUsers\*USERDIRECTORY*\Music\iTunes" Directory!!! (I run WIN 7 RTM). I do not know where the directory is stored on a MAC..

The new version of iTunes will rewrite the file "iTunes Library.itl" (and possibly other files in that directory). If you try to uninstall then reinstall the 8.2 version, it will tell you that file is incompatible with the newer version. You will lose all your music and ringtone listings in iTunes (the files will not be deleted, only the listings for them). Even if you do a "System Restore" to a previous date, this file will not be changed back to the 8.2 version.

I also had incompatibility issues with Quicktime after I uninstalled iTunes...I am not sure if this was because I tried a System Restore first though.

What I did was to uninstall Itunes 9 AND Quicktime (not sure what version I was using). I then reinstalled Quicktime then iTunes 8.2. Then copy the "CUsers\*USERDIRECTORY*\Music\iTunes" back over.

This may save a lot of headaches if you plan to revert back to 8.2 from 9....

Thanks

Also, anyone planning to upgrade to iTunes 9, should make a backup of the iPhone software updates (or iPod) because it seems that iTunes 9 deletes these. I found out the hard way :@.

Yeah I wish I knew about iFunBox being broken BEFORE installing iTunes 9...
    iPhone 4- I'll start theming again

Thanks

I wish I would have done this but oh well I don't really use any of the program's listed so I should be fine.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So it will effect anything that used the USB like PDAnet?
    If I have helped you please hit the Thanks button.