Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes 3.1 Jailbroken/Unlocked iPhones take heed.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

Default iTunes 3.1 Jailbroken/Unlocked iPhones take heed.
    With Apple's "Rock Out" event coming tomorrow it may mean the release of 3.1 update in iTunes. A post on the Dev-Team Blog link warning jailbroken iPhone users not to get too antsy and click the "Update" button. Could spell doom for further jailbreaking/unlocking.
    Here's what they have to say.

This week Apple will be all over the news with their announcements at Wednesday’s “Let’s Rock” event. But with so many new owners of the iPhone 3GS, and with so many new owners of the iPhone 3G (perhaps sold to them by these new 3GS owners)…now is a good time to send out this general advisory.

If you update to Apple’s new software using the normal iTunes process, you will lose your ultrasn0w unlock. In fact you may lose it permanently, because for most people the baseband firmware cannot be reverted to a previous version (unlike the main application CPU firmware).

But don’t worry…our PwnageTool program lets you update your main firmware without touching your baseband firmware, so you can still have the best of both worlds. But you must be diligent about saying “no” to your iTunes request this week to update your firmware.

So pass the word and don't be Locked out.
    I realize that this may have been posted elsewhere on our forum but I can not stress enough the fact that this new baseband may be the end of jailbreaking/unlocking for some. So wait till the New jailbreak/unlock is released before you update please. It will save us all a ton of greif.
    Last edited by dale1v; 2009-09-13 at 07:58 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

Bolisoimedvedi (2011-02-25), Coral11 (2009-09-10), fatboyvoodo0 (2010-03-11), Jcbzr (2011-01-25), kwickone (2009-09-09), kwine (2009-09-09), lanny (2010-07-24), megga (2010-12-30), oarce12 (2009-09-26), samsoon (2011-03-18), ZXMustang (2009-09-09)

Good stuff man. Fight the power. Screw "the man".

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZXMustang For This Useful Post:

Coral11 (2009-09-10), lanny (2010-07-24), samsoon (2011-03-18)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the heads up....I also visited the Dev Team Blog and one thing it does not mention is just the straight jailbreak...it only mentioned losing the unlock, which does not apply to AT&T users.

I am assuming that it will (or will very likely) hose the jailbreak as well. I will hold off updating until I hear more....but if anyone has any news on the compatibility of the latest jailbreak working on 3.1, please let us know. Maybe someone tested on the 3.1 beta????

Thanks.
    kwickone I.T.H.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kwickone For This Useful Post:

lanny (2010-07-24)

The Dev Team do not work on Betas but I doubt if it will be long before a JB is out.

live.gizmodo.com is not working
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

lanny (2010-07-24)

Thanks

Hopefully we will see a jailbreak soon but you never know. It could be tomorrow or it could be weeks from now there's just no way to tell when we're on the outside trying to look in.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A_DuB187 For This Useful Post:

lanny (2010-07-24)

How it to return at the old adaptation 3. 0. 1

I erred and the file the new software 3. 1
    Last edited by Viktor Brashnarov; 2009-09-13 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Viktor Brashnarov For This Useful Post:

lanny (2010-07-24)

It depends on which device you have and why you want to.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

buduska (2011-06-01), lanny (2010-07-24)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    well I looked but didn't see these messages until after I pressed yes. [email protected]%M!T. I hope there ends up being a way around this. Right now I can only restore the 3.1 update. redsnow starts, but the phone (3GS) never reboots. Ouch!!! I was only jailbroken, not unlocked, now I can be neither. I wish I had seen this earlier. Be warned, SAY NO!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dpackwood For This Useful Post:

lanny (2010-07-24)

i must admit i'd be really annoyed if i couldn't run a jailbroken iphone. i spent a while with a restored and unjailbroken phone waiting for repair, and really missed the additional functionality. i'm back up and running now, and am not going to do anything until feedback and advice tells me of the consequences. So my sympathies Dpackwood - you could always swap your 3GS for a 3G - all you need to do is find someone who doesn't know about jailbreaking, or doesn't believe in it. best of luck cjwj

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cjwj For This Useful Post:

lanny (2010-07-24)

BlackRa1n should be out today for JB - but do NOT use if you want to unlock.

And please don't update to 3.12 yet....
    Last edited by confucious; 2009-10-08 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

20. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

lanny (2010-07-24)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey guys, do you know if there is even going to be a unlock for those who accidentally upgrade their baseband to 5.11.07?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dread33 For This Useful Post:

lanny (2010-07-24)

Unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    With Apple's "Rock Out" event coming tomorrow it may mean the release of 3.1 update in iTunes. A post on the Dev-Team Blog link warning jailbroken iPhone users not to get too antsy and click the "Update" button. Could spell doom for further jailbreaking/unlocking.
    Here's what they have to say.

This week Apple will be all over the news with their announcements at Wednesday’s “Let’s Rock” event. But with so many new owners of the iPhone 3GS, and with so many new owners of the iPhone 3G (perhaps sold to them by these new 3GS owners)…now is a good time to send out this general advisory.

If you update to Apple’s new software using the normal iTunes process, you will lose your ultrasn0w unlock. In fact you may lose it permanently, because for most people the baseband firmware cannot be reverted to a previous version (unlike the main application CPU firmware).

But don’t worry…our PwnageTool program lets you update your main firmware without touching your baseband firmware, so you can still have the best of both worlds. But you must be diligent about saying “no” to your iTunes request this week to update your firmware.

So pass the word and don't be Locked out.
    I realize that this may have been posted elsewhere on our forum but I can not stress enough the fact that this new baseband may be the end of jailbreaking/unlocking for some. So wait till the New jailbreak/unlock is released before you update please. It will save us all a ton of greif.
    Please HELP. Last week, I updated ROCK updates. Since that time, My iPhone will not power on except to see the Apple logo for 3-5 seconds, then dead. I was running 3.1 firmware, and have 9.1.1 iTunes. Anyone know how I can get phone to even turn on? I really appreciate any help!
    Thanks,
    mrhifi
    326-656-7800

unlock iphone 3,1,3,use spirit to jailbreak as normal,in cydia search for fuzzyband,download to iphone,launch the app,and it will query your phone,and if all is ok,you can then use ultrasn0w

Quote Originally Posted by mrhifi View Post
    Please HELP. Last week, I updated ROCK updates. Since that time, My iPhone will not power on except to see the Apple logo for 3-5 seconds, then dead. I was running 3.1 firmware, and have 9.1.1 iTunes. Anyone know how I can get phone to even turn on? I really appreciate any help!
    Thanks,
    mrhifi
    Why oh why, do people still use Rock.

Kaatje has posted how to fix this at Rock corrupted iPhone 3GS (3.1.2)?|TGIL, Inc

27. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

buduska (2011-06-01)

Thanks

I have yet to hear something good about ROCK. I have heard that it fill up ALL remaining memory with it's log, and the best way to cure that, correct me if I am wrong confus, is to REMOVE the rock. Is there really any advantage with ROCK over CYDIA?

iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

I use Rock cause it loads faster than Cydia. If I find something I like on Rock and can't download it, then I use Cydia. Cydia is just to slow for me.

Thanks

I'm kind of new to this arena. Other than "speed" is there really any advantage to rock? At all?