Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 15 year old ari wienstien outsmarts apple by jailbreaking iPhone.

Default 15 year old ari wienstien outsmarts apple by jailbreaking iPhone.

Not entirely sure how to go with this, other then this young modder caught the eye of foxnews.

They report... you decide...

Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com
    Last edited by boe_dye; 2009-07-13 at 07:17 PM.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Not sure why he would go public with that, he's endearing apple and on top of that if apple does win their copyright infringement suit he maybe first on the list.

He was on the cover of the wall street journal last week im pretty sure..

theres alot of things that I am not entirely sure about what I think of this.

In many cases, it seems almost rash and arrogant to be the "spokesman" so to speak for developing jailbreaking.

Now maybe he is and who am I to argue, but I have to wonder how they ever came across him.

What did he do that made him stand out from dev's like Saurik and the like?

I do doubt however that Apple would "make an example out of him". He is way to young, and it would be WAAAY bad P.R.

They aren't that stupid. In fact I can't recall them ever going after the little guy so to speak. The main reason they have patents on the Dock and want to protect against jailbreaking is because it's better to have something and never use it versus needing something and not having it...

One of those "It might come in handy one day" deals...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

he named a buncha crap that happens on the iphone without jailbreaking lol. what a poor example of what kind of people we have out there...

"email, while instant messaging, and record video"

sounds normal, then sounds like saurik's cycorder lol.

is he really part of the chronic team? whata hobo for stepping forward. enjoy it, use it, tell your friends. why would u step forward to media?
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

sounds like he just wanted attention. really wasnt upfront about anything.

Yea man no mention of winterboard hehe.......I'd like to tweet to Geohot or Dev_team and ask them if the really know that kid. Man he's young.

@Boe Dye nicely written response I agree thought about the bad PR thing very true.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PCeasar For This Useful Post:

boe_dye (2009-07-19)

Did dev-team say anything about this?

Thanks

He didmention that the functions were items missing from teh OLD iphones. I imagine he plainly only mentioned things that are available on teh new 3GS to avoid the problems aforementioned. He clearly omitted mentioning Winterboard and unlocking.

Why go to the media? While he may not endaert himself to Apple, I bet he gets job offers and is set for a career. As a parent of teens myself (my youngest is this Ari kid's age) worrying about getting into college and finding employment is a great concern in today's economy. They are looking at this as PR and exposure for the kid's future. This said- I hope hes either got the blessing of the Dev team or that they kick him off for going so public.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

I am guessing his family knows someone at FoxNews...why else would they give this kid the time of day. Notice they/he did not say he actually wrote the jailbreak program, just that he "jailbroke" his phone. We all have done that!

He certainly did not say anything that Apple did not know already. I like that the comparison to modding a car (or anything else that you BUY and OWN). Ultimately this is the argument that I don't think Apple can refute. Sure, we may void our warranty by modding our phones...that is our choice to make: because it is OUR PHONE!
    Last edited by kwickone; 2009-07-14 at 04:48 PM.

He said he works with the Chronic Dev team and Iphone dev team. Pretty young, i think , but im sure we will find out if he is or not soon enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

I have asked a couple people who deal directly with and speak daily to the Chronic Dev Team and to my surprise they say they have never heard of this kid. Odd.
    Perhaps they are glad the heat is heading his way, who knows/

Edit, so it turns out the person I was speaking to was unaware the "Ari" and "AriX" were the same person.lmao
    Seems these young lad is legit, the real deal. I stand ((sitting feeling dumb)) corrected.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-07-25 at 09:41 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

One issue that could arise from this is actually exposing the dev team, which may be exactly what apple is trying to do or wanting to happen.
    If the Dev Team simply sits back and lets this mouthpiece have his moment then things will most likely quiet down and they can get ack to what they do best.

I think he's full of crap...

Like kwickone said
    Notice they/he did not say he actually wrote the jailbreak program, just that he "jailbroke" his phone. We all have done that!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    I think he's full of crap...

Like kwickone said
    ^+1....

Thanks

'scuse me/ sumpin stinkz herz

Thanks

^Wow, a bunch of people we know in that article. I wonder????????
    Perhaps the person I was speaking to just wasn't willing to admit it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

Is he not the kid that found the exploit, the one where the dev team were asking people to thank him on twitter, I cant think of his nickname right now, but it could be.

Could it be Oranav

From the dev teams blog:

Once again, thanks to @Oranav for finding the new injection vector that allowed us to transform yellowsn0w

It's only a wild guess so no need to shoot me down if I'm wrong
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 2009-07-19 at 01:49 AM.

perhaps i should call up cnn and tell them that i am sound engineer cause i jailbroke my phone and wrote my own sounds for it...

I'll betcha it's like that article that I posted sometime ago as a gag about the father who thinks his son is some master hacker cause he is playing with linux and wants use AMD chips.

Perhaps his father was watching over his sons shoulder and said "hey that looks cool, i'm going to call the news".

as far as him being an major dev, it's hard to say. in my experience most "hackers" enjoy the anonymity of their screen name as opposed to having their faces posted out all over the world.

I know I would prefer to be known as boe_dye in the computer world, and not *************....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast