Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: msnbc sez: New Palm Pre gives iPhone a run for it's money!

Default msnbc sez: New Palm Pre gives iPhone a run for it's money!
    Now personally, I am of a mind anymore that whether you choose to go with a Pre, a Bold, an HTC whatever, an Android, or an iPhone, that they all have pros and cons. Anymore the trend has been and is eventually going to be a pocket computer in everyones pocket.

And eventually still, that smartphones are going to be commodities just like a washer and dryer, and that ultimately your choice is going to come down to which color you like the best.

However, with every new kid on the block it is always slated to be the "killer" of whatever is currently the peoples favorite and choice.

Of course much of this rivalry is often times based on jealousy that you can't have what your neighbor has so you have to find ways to hate what the other guy has.

Ultimately, my final choice of having a device anymore is entirely based on the support community behind it. Sure you can have a Bold that has a click keyboard, and perhaps a Pre that can run multiple apps at once, or a Windows Mobile device that still looks like windows 95 and you have to purchase third party software just to close your applications.

So without further ado, I give you MSNBC.com and their review of the palm pre!

Review: Palm Pre's software helps it beat iPhone - Wireless- msnbc.com
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

That will definately be my next phone. or maybe something similar running WebOS. I've had iPhone since the first gen, and frankly, I'm pretty bored of it, and so is everyone else I know that isn't an Apple fanboi.

I won't be going with a new iPhone since I just got the 3G last year, and the new one doesn't really offer that many more new features to justify the upgrade. A2DP? Wow, thanks, it only took 2 years and the release of the Pre for that to come out.

Anyway, I'm tired of using a phone that needs to be jailbroken to add some proper functionality. Not to mention it can't even handle a lot of third party Cydia apps without slowing it down or crashing.

You complain about functionality and at the same time mention you're next phone is one that doesn't even have an alarm clock.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

This means WAR!
    Currently addicted to Modern Warfare 2! add me on PSN: A_Mexican_guy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to soto806 For This Useful Post:

ZXMustang (2009-06-07)

People who have used the Pre seem to like it but none of the iPhones 'faults' became apparent until lots of people started using it.

WebOS does seem promising but I'm not sure about the hardware - one of the things I like about the iPhone is the fact that it doesn't have a keyboard and is very finger friendly - the size of the screen really helps.

I hope the Pre is a success - if it isn't, I think Palm will go under, but if it doesn't even have an alarm clock, what else will be missing. Time will tell.

I am no Apple fanboy - I have used Symbian and many WM devices and the original iPhone didn't rate a second look. When the 3G came out I liked what I saw and it is by far the best device I have ever owned - for me it's almost perfect.

I will have no hesitation in changing devices if something better comes along but I'm not (yet?) convinced the Pre is it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    You complain about functionality and at the same time mention you're next phone is one that doesn't even have an alarm clock.
    I'm pretty confident it will have it by the time it gets released.

Thanks

I played with it, and while it was cool, it still won't replace my "boring" iPhone 3G. I saw on the news that one guy that help make the pre say "you can do things on the pre that can't on the iPhone like if your listening to music on the iPhone , you have to close the music just to open instant message and text. On the pre you can have 10 apps open at the same time" ummm I can do that on the iphone with the exception of 10 apps open....but WTF wants to have 10 apps open

^ Ummm lots of people do. You're obviously not used to multitasking. It's ok, one day you will have to do more than one thing at once.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Read this... haha. Basically craps all over the Pre and says why

Pre Is Not Competing with the iPhone - Columns by PC Magazine

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Read the review....looks pretty cool in concept. I think the key to its success or failure will be the number of developers willing to write apps for it. It is pretty hard to beat the AppStore and the jailbroken apps for the iPhone. The sheer number of apps (yes a lot of them are wastes of space) is truly amazing.

And I DO need multitasking BIG TIME!

Here's something the Pre can do better than the iPhone:

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/4990760?pg=embed&sec=]Palm Pre Cuts the Cheese on Vimeo[/ame]

^ that's sweet!

i dunno...

the iphone has a pretty sharp edge... we're going to need a comparison test for this :-)

Now look... In all honesty, yes backgrounding is nice. And while I would like certain things to background, it's really not all that important in the end.

I would rather do one thing extremely well as opposed to multiple things half assed. One of my biggest gripes with the windows mobile devices was that when you X out of anything, it didn't actually close the application. It minimized it.

Unfortunately no one told you this, and conventional wisdom of people who had been using Windows for years said that "X" means close, not minimize...

The only way to actually close the app was to open up the task manager and free up memory. which meant you had to open up another application and if you had too many things opened then you would have to reboot anyways cause the thing moved so damn slow.

It wasn't until i started hanging out at A Developers and loading up custom ROMS that allowed things like "X" means close. Before that you had to "pay" to actually have a program that would close your apps...

So in my experience and understanding, Apple probably saw this as ruining the experience. They probably figured that it would be better to just say "when you push the one button on the screen, close the application entirely instead of having people forget what they have running and bogging down the system and eventually having to reboot... Like you would in a Windows Mobile Device."

They had to make a decision at the time, and I believe at the time it was the right one...

Of course now that Apple set the standard regarding mobile phones, everyone wants to copy what Apple did. Blackberry with the Bold and Palm with the Pre. However they said, "well let's just do the things that Apple couldn't or wouldn't do in the first place".

Not everyone who picks up an iPhone is as intelligent as we are to understand that running multiple apps on a device that has very little memory is ultimately going to crash it.

And remember... First and foremost... it is a PHONE. Not an iPod... So I think also that Apple chose to focus more on a communications device first, and a gameboy/drum machine/zen garden/fart maker/twitter device second.

Either way, give it time, and there will be things that people will be complaining about with the Pre too, and suddenly the iPhones will look like the saviour. Or maybe Nokia will come back into fasion, or perhaps Motorolla they haven't been doing much lately...
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Here's something the Pre can do better than the iPhone:

Palm Pre Cuts the Cheese on Vimeo
    Haha You gave two reasons with one post. All I see is the little Lego with the question marks, something the Pre won't see soon.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    Haha You gave two reasons with one post. All I see is the little Lego with the question marks, something the Pre won't see soon.
    The iPhone's lack of flash is the best feature it's ever had and ever will. The die flash dies is the day I'll be happy with the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    And remember... First and foremost... it is a PHONE. Not an iPod... So I think also that Apple chose to focus more on a communications device first, and a gameboy/drum machine/zen garden/fart maker/twitter device second.
    Really? Why come out in different hard drive sizes? They do that with iPods I believe. Also why no MMS? No landscape SMS? No full Bluetooth? In my opinion they just created a platform to install Apps on with some phone features and some iPod features. The desing is slick, but it lacks substance. The jailbreaking community is testament to that.

The only thing Apple focuses on most is their Appstore and how to foil Jailbreaking. Oh, and marketing.

Ah yeah but of course, Papa Steve knows best right

Oh btw, does anyone know if you can make your song titles scroll on the iPhone? It's really annoying not being able to fully see what the hell I'm listening to.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The iPhone's lack of flash is the best feature it's ever had and ever will. The die flash dies is the day I'll be happy with the internet.
    You mean "the day flash dies"?

Honestly, I don't mind not having Flash. I would like to have it because every now and then there's a video I want to see or something I want to do with Flash, but the iPhone is still the best without it.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like to clear few things up as well even though the iPhone doesn't do background apps it still runs a few apps in the background like Ipod, Mail safari and phone those all run in the background.

Also I agree I don't need flash I just hate it when sometimes a video is not on youtube and it won't play just wish this could be supported more but more so by just eliminating Flash from the internet all together.

The pre is cool but missing a lot of features some features that the iphone got a lot of heat for yet people don't seem to be speaking up about it on the Pre ... No Video Recording for example

Anyway iPhone imo is still the greatest phone on the market, Best Touch device, best browser, best user interface, so much support behind it they update it like crazy. All the things people were complaining about no MMS, landscape, copy paste, ect is all coming to the iphone now even turn by turn gps which will be awesome. I even love the fat of push notification not draining my battery while still getting my notification this will be fantastic not having to leave beejive draining my phone. With the new speed of the phone to things will open instantly. I am really happy I own the 2G iphone and now just considering the 3G S as I really want GPS, bigger hard drive (32 gig) bluetooth, mms, faster speeds, loving the magnometer for maps this is a big feature for me personally and video recording and just 3.0 firmware in general i am going to go crazy for it this iphone imo is only missing a front camera which i wanted really badly.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bengo View Post
    Oh btw, does anyone know if you can make your song titles scroll on the iPhone? It's really annoying not being able to fully see what the hell I'm listening to.
    Scrolling song titles? How cute. The new iPhone will actually tell you what song is currently playing.

Quote Originally Posted by €hR!$ View Post
    You mean "the day flash dies"?

Honestly, I don't mind not having Flash. I would like to have it because every now and then there's a video I want to see or something I want to do with Flash, but the iPhone is still the best without it.
    I think die flash die is much better

There is an app that allows you to view flv files on your iphone - been arround for a while iMobileCinema - Any videos, in iPhone Safari.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast