Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPhone to Support 4G?

Default New iPhone to Support 4G?

For a while now there has been a battle of new wireless technologies mainly between LTE (4G) and Wimax. recently Sprint has been the first to broadcast the new 4G signal, but is only available in the baltimore area. Sprint claims that they will be offering it in other areas soon too.

Features of 4G:

• Average download speeds of 2-4 Mbps
    • High network capacity
    • All in one ip only solution.
    • even though 4G is being broadcasted it still supports any device using 2G-4G

Now that Sprint has started the trend the real questions are:

1) When will AT&T follow suit and broadcast 4G
    2) Will the new iPhone coming in june have support for 4G

Sprint 4G Mobile Broadband

More Info ON LTE

3GPP
    Last edited by JStraitiff; 2009-04-16 at 08:38 AM.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

While i have major doubts that AT&T will begin rolling out 4G any time soon, I do believe that it is possible that the new iphone may indeed be capable of supporting it. I figure AT&T is still at least a couple of years away from playing with 4G, even on a limited level, but I also figure that Apple might...just might, have enough foresight to include the capability of supporting it, figuring that we will likely still be using the same (soon to be released) iphone. Or they could do us like they are doing current 2G owners now...it will only work on the 3G or newer, not on the 2G(AKA MMS) Mother F^&*ing A$$h*les... (Whoops. Sorry, back to subject)

Who knows, if Apple is smart they will push AT&T to begin the upgrade sooner as a condition of any possible exclusivity contract extension, in order to help stave off any future competition. After all, you don't want to be selling the coolest phone on the planet, when it can only be used on the slooowwweeessst network out there. I can't tell you how many times i here people say they will only use Verizon because of the coverage, and fast speeds.

I won't be holding my breath.

Maybe new coming iphone will have support for 4G,but i think most of gsm operators will not be ready&have technical 4G infrastructure before 2010 or 2011.
    On the other hand,a data rate will be-i hope- at least 100 Mbps.It will also supports IPv6 & will be based on packet switching only.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yeah, right. I doubt Apple will build the new iPhone to handle 4G. Why would they? When 4G rolls around, the people with the 3rd gen iPhone won't have much reason to upgrade since their old phone will be as fast as the 4th or 5th iPhone that would be coming out at that time. Remember that 3G and GPS were the main selling points of the iPhone 3G and that many people upgraded their iPhones for the 3G. ;] Apple likes $$$.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.