Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Rumor Mill Working On Overdrive?

What's Jailbreak? thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

Default iPhone Rumor Mill Working On Overdrive?
    Throw Apple fans a bone, and they'll expect that a filet mignon and porterhouse are on the way.

That's the lesson learned from Apple's demonstration last week of the iPhone 3.0 software for third-party application developers. Coders, reporters and countless gadget gurus following online drooled over the new features.

Copy-and-paste, multimedia messaging, push notifications, global search and the ability to tether the iPhone's 3G connection to a computer to access the Internet all have been frequently requested additions. What more could we ask for from a free update?

More!

But instead of getting the usual lists of tech writers' wish lists, we're getting hints dug from Apple's development software, and a sack full of rumors allegedly plucked from Apple and AT&T employers.

Fair warning: We can't confirm these rumors, nor do we have the tech savvy (or patience) to read through thousands of lines of code. We expect to have more concrete info in the summertime. But we know some of you can't wait -- if the hundreds of pirated downloads of the iPhone 3.0 software are any indication. So we've broken down some of the more visible rumors.

Video recording was notably absent from Apple's 3.0 presentation. But enterprising code monkeys have scraped Apple's development software with a fine-toothed comb and found ...

... a menu referencing video uploading to MobileMe.

The discovery is rather perplexing considering that "Diggnation" host Kevin Rose, who has had a fairly strong track record on Apple rumors recently, said the next software update would not add video to the iPhone due to technical barriers with the hardware.

The obvious remedy then is a new iPhone with a video camera. That's exactly what Apple Insider, a blog with an army of reliable tipsters within Apple, says is on the way, based on tips from unnamed sources. The blog has been a driving force in the rumor machine.

The Boy Genius Report also has had its ear to the ground. Someone "pretty high up in AT&T" (again, unnamed) tells the blog that a new iPhone will surface in the middle of June. Rumors suggest it will be even faster (possibly supporting AT&T's even speedier, 7.2 megabit-per-second 3G data connection). And conventional wisdom leads us to believe it will be thinner and have a longer-lasting battery.

A new iPhone wouldn't be a huge shock. Apple released the original and the 3G models during the summertime, about a year apart. And now the fact that AT&T will begin selling the iPhone 3G without a contract on Thursday for $599 lends credence to the idea: It's better to get rid of remaining stock with a new release looming.

The iPhone probably won't be the only Apple hardware getting an upgrade soon. Retailers are no longer stocking the company's Bluetooth headset, one Apple Store manager said. He stopped short of speculating on whether a new version was imminent.

And we could get some drastically different products, if the iPhone 3.0 software code provides any clue. The code makes mention not only of new versions of the iPhone and iPod Touch, but also of hardware called the "iFPGA" and the "iProd." Bloggers speculate that those could be references to the long-rumored Apple Tablet, a computer that's part iPod and part laptop. With the growing popularity of consumer netbooks, who knows?

Steve Jobs did say in October, "We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk." Maybe they've figured it out during his absence.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...ne-rumors.html

Had to add to this as I am excited if this is all true and excited for the 3.0 update but if they bring out a new iphone in June and if they are right it will be slimmer (oh boy will have to buy new cases again LOL) and a nice addition... longer lasting battery... thats great!

7.2 megabit-per-second 3G data connection? I can't even get 3G yet..... but Apple is full of surprises all of the time!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 2009-03-25 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (2009-04-03)

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

sounds like good stuff bring it on. i will be in line again at the store

a new phone every year would be great since the iphone is the only phone in the past 6 or 7 years that i have been able to use that long without getting bored with it.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

wow great write up . ima be first in line at the att store

this is a great post for myself to offer some thoughts opinions. understand that I have no insider knowledge, but, i am basing my guesses off of apples rumors, competitors moves, etc.

Apple has positioned itself as a category killer. It killed the Mp3 market, killed the portable video player market, and it killed the phone market. Some may disagree, but they would be wrong. The iPhone alone has sent companies scrambling. Not only did it beat all smart phones, it also beat all non-smart phones. Both of my parents have iPhones and they find them easier to use then the base model Samsungs/Razrs we had on Tmobile.

The industry copied the iphone look, when that didnt work, they started working on the software. Now, in all honesty, the industry is catching up, and for the first time in years there is an iPhone alternative or two. So, if you want to know where Apple is going with its summer product releases, you have to wonder "How will they top themselves?"

My main guesses for this are:

Integrated video Chat: a task that neither older iphone is even remotely capable of, due to processor limitations and poor battery life. This will send every competitor back to the drawing board.

Multi-processor power: Anyone with a 3g will note that Google Maps absolutely has a heart attack when its locating itself and loading maps. It was built with cheap components, and ****** design. Multi-core will give the iPhone what it needs to do all of these tasks.

Larger battery, heavier phone: The new one will be heavier due to larger battery design. I for one have absolutely no problem with this.

Competitve camera: the iPhone has been ridiculed for its crappy camera compared to other products. it also makes the iPhone useless for photo-journalism, and weak for blogging. it doesnt suprise me that they didnt upgrade the camera on the 3g, as the processor could not handle the file sizes in a responsive way.

hardware keyboard/controls: I believe Apple knows its shortcomings. The keyboard will not replace its onscreen counterparts, but will be an addition. Expect a cool slide transition from landscape to real keyboard. Also, expect the keyboard to potentially be useable for gaming in some fashion, one area that keeps the platform from being a serious gaming model.

Faster internet speeds: expect 7.2 capable speeds on the newer iPhone product. It will allow larger picture file handling, video calling, etc. Also expect more on network transfer from the iTunes store of videos, etc. Also Youtube HD wouldnt be unreasonable.

In summation, the iPhone 3g was nothing more then the iPhone 2g with a few bolt-on performance parts. The new product will be a more risky, expensive, and complicated machine that Apple knows we will buy, because we want more. Ill be in line with everyone else that day.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2009-04-03 at 05:01 PM.

t
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage Battle View Post

Integrated video Chat: a task that neither older iphone is even remotely capable of, due to processor limitations and poor battery life. This will send every competitor back to the drawing board.
    I've had video callinng for the past 6 yrears - I've used it twice just to see what it's like. A gimick, nothing more. IMHO

Multi-processor power: Anyone with a 3g will note that Google Maps absolutely has a heart attack when its locating itself and loading maps. It was built with cheap components, and shitty design. Multi-core will give the iPhone what it needs to do all of these tasks.
    Not sure what network you're on but Google Maps works fine on T-Mobile in the UK - It's certainly not hampered by processing power.
    But Multi core is a possibility.

Larger battery, heavier phone: The new one will be heavier due to larger battery design. I for one have absolutely no problem with this.
    A larger capacity battery would be nice - but not at the expense of weight.

Competitve camera: the iPhone has been ridiculed for its crappy camera compared to other products. it also makes the iPhone useless for photo-journalism, and weak for blogging. it doesnt suprise me that they didnt upgrade the camera on the 3g, as the processor could not handle the file sizes in a responsive way.
    A better camera is almost certain - although I'm quite happy with the existing one it does seem dated compared to others that are available, I would be surprised if Apple don't update it but certainly not something that I would upgrade for.

hardware keyboard/controls: I believe Apple knows its shortcomings. The keyboard will not replace its onscreen counterparts, but will be an addition. Expect a cool slide transition from landscape to real keyboard. Also, expect the keyboard to potentially be useable for gaming in some fashion, one area that keeps the platform from being a serious gaming model.
    Hardware controls are something that would put me, and many others, off the iPhone. The form factor is one thing most people like about it.

Faster internet speeds: expect 7.2 capable speeds on the newer iPhone product. It will allow larger picture file handling, video calling, etc. Also expect more on network transfer from the iTunes store of videos, etc. Also Youtube HD wouldnt be unreasonable.
    In the UK I am trying an O2 SIM (the official carrier) in my iPhone and it is appallingly slow compared to T-Mobile.
    Speeds depend as much on the the network as on the phone. Not sure what it's like on AT&T but I doubt if increasing the phone's speed will affect most people's speeds as the networks have yet to catch up. It will probably have 7.2 capacity - but why stop there and not go full 14.4?

An OLED / bigger display, removable storage, larger capacity and one or two other things might also make also make it into the mix but I can't think of anything that will make me rush out and get one. I am happy with my 3G and FW3.0 will make it even better
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Larger display is not a possibility. There are 25,000 apps that would have to be recoded for a different resolution and the App Store would have to be altered to sense what model phone your on and it would just get messy. LED display would be sweet... brighter screen with less power usage. I think the capacity will grow to a 16gb or a 32gb model but no option for removable storage. This goes against Apple's business plan. If you could just stick in a microSD card then you wouldn't rush out to buy the extra capacity iPod/iPhone the next time it comes out.

A larger screen is a possibility - just not very likely due to the reasons you have stated.
    You're probably also right on storage but I can dream can't I?

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

IMO a larger screen could make the iPhone too big. It is a pretty good size right now, any bigger and it would be just too big. The last thing we need is the iPhone to turn into the Sidekick size-wise. Also, I think Apple is pretty set on the whole design; between the home button, side buttons, screen size, and no keys, I think they are keeping this design for times to come...

I think you are probably right - although there is room to make the screen wider without changing the form factor - but, doe to the number of programs written for the existing screen size i doubt if it will happen.