Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Beware of future updates from apple!!!

Default Beware of future updates from apple!!!
    we have all read the recent news that apple is claiming jailbreaking illegal, but what you may not have gathered from it is their strategy.

since the beginning of the iphone apple has had all of their software closed source and has not allowed anyone to develop for it. even after the release of the 2.0 software update apple has been very stingy about who developed what application for the device. recently they have announced that jailbreaking is considered illegal and and that running unapproved software on the device is violating a copyright agreement. you may have thought "what are they going to do? it is my phone, i bought it." well that is true but apple is claiming that by running modified versions of their software it is illegal and is punishable even though it may be your personal property. this kind of stinginess has been the view of apple ever since the beginning.

The plan:

1) sue all of the jailbreak software developers. ( including: saurik, muscle nerd, planet being, the entire dev team.)
    2) sue all of the software developers who have published an application for the jailbroken devices. (including myself)
    3) release a software update that will cripple all of our progress with the iphone. making us start over all new just as if it were the initial release of the iphone and we will have to start all over.

for one i would just like to say that the entire goal of the dev team was and still is to break out of apples software jail with out using any of their copyrighted code. (their have been people kicked off of the tem because of this goal being breached.)

what does this mean for you? it means that we will have to watch out and inspect all of the future updates released by apple before loading them onto our devices. (there have been incidents in the past resulting in companies completely wiping out hacked devices remotely.)

the questions:

1) if apple does decide to pursue the team and all of us developers, would you be willing to donate to a defense fund to help get lawyers to fight for them?
    2) (as quoted by cody mccloy at cnn) Since Apple built the iPhone, should they be able to tell you what you can and canít do once youíve bought it? Or are we merely renting this device along with our AT&T service plan?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Absolutely... I would donate !!!

AND ...... We users should fight fire with fire !!! and class-action counter-suit against Apple for artificially crippling our private and personal property.

This iPhone belongs to me and me alone. Apple / AT&T (and anybody else for that matter) can say what they want. But I will do with MY phone exactly what I want to do.

There is NOTHING I own (in my house, car, or anywhere) that I am not free to change or modify in any way I desire. Cars are the classic example of freedom of use .
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-02-19 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks

1) Not announced
    2) Not announced
    3) Uhh, why would they make your life easy?
    To live, you have to lie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to redcard For This Useful Post:

DavC (2009-02-19)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How can they say it's illegal if no profit is being made?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    1) Not announced
    2) Not announced
    3) Uhh, why would they make your life easy?
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR_Yancy View Post
    Exactly. All supposition at the moment -- and probably never happen. But .... we should be prepared

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZR_Yancy View Post
    I suppose that depends how you define profit.
    To live, you have to lie

it doesnt matter if you profit from it there are a whole set of technicalities that they will pull out of their asses

thats ******** if they think they are going to do it. And hell yeah i would donate! And who the hell thinks they can charge $300 for a phone and tell me what i can cant do with it??

absolutely I would donate. I appreciate all your hard work.

Thanks

Yeah if everyone fonts £1 that would be so much cash 4 a decent lawyer. Ps iPhone is NOTHING without you devs.

if everyone that is in this community donated one dollar we could afford to buy apples attorneys right out from underneath them

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

I will keep tabs with what is going on if Apple dares to pursue this I will definitely donate!

Apple will not sue anyone - they know they would lose.

By making silly statements such as 'jailbraking is illegal' they hope to scare people off but they know it is not true.

They might go after people who host cracked apps and I would not be surprised if they asked for cracked apps/the tools to be removed form repositories. They would have every chance of success if they went after those promoting or even using those.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

unfortunately because of that digital millenium act they actually do have somthing

I would not have even looked at iphone , had not been for your developers...

Count me in

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drgopoos View Post
    I would not have even looked at iphone , had not been for your developers...

Count me in
    ditto, had it not been for their efforts I would have stayed with Blackberry. I would donate, yes sir.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ditto, had it not been for their efforts I would have stayed with Blackberry. I would donate, yes sir.
    Gotta chime in and agree as well. I would definitely own a different phone (probably a G1) if Apple had complete and absolute control. First reason: no way, no how, no AT&T. Second reason: all the fun using 3rd party apps

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I would donate what i could..i luv this phone

Thanks

i can tell you this.....

HACKING WILL NEVER STOP

apple go eat your apples..you have tons of money already why sue..greedy apple!
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

theyre not greedy as much as control freaks and arrogant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast