Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Beware of future updates from apple!!!

  1. #21
    iPhoneaholic reddawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 71 Times in 59 Posts

    You can count me in too. Should we be on guard for new iTunes versions? Could Apple sneak a mini update to disable Cydia apps just by syncing? I'm not taking any chances installing any new versions of iTunes.

    The only thing I am confident on is that unlocking is excempt from DMCA violations. The Supreme Court passed a law back in June 2008 concerning that unlocking does not violate DMCA laws. See my previous post in

    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...ml#post3338351

    I am hopeing that since jailbreaking is a necessary part of unlocking our iPhones that it will not be considered illegal. As for installing application from Cydia, I wouldn't have to do this if Apple incorporated the features that we should have had in the first place like (clip & paste, MMS, Themes, video recorder, blocking calls / SMS, etc, etc).

    After all this time, it's funny that Apple choose now to say that jailbreaking & unlocking is illegal. What it really comes down to is money and greed, not pirated software or circumventing DMCA. Apple makes a lot of money through the App Store, especially when you consider the volume. Apple is pissed that revenue from applications installed through Cydia are going directly to the developers and not into their hands.

    It should be our right to unlock our iPhones and install legally purchased applications of our choice that is not found in the App Store. Here's to EFF. Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2009-02-20 at 11:00 AM.

  2. #22
    ranting is encouraged on this topic

    as for itunes versions

    i think that from now on we should be very cautious of what we download from apple pertaining to the iphone

    if they do release anything anytime soon if we are going to update itunes at least keep a backup of the current version

    i know i am now keeping tabbs on all future releases and i will keep a store of all previous versions of firmware, itunes and leopard ...... we all know what they tried to sneak into leo in the last update (for noobs==>major dfu crippler)
    Last edited by JStraitiff; 2009-02-20 at 11:37 AM.

  3. #23
    1) Anyone who blindly updates without paying attention to what it entails get's what they deserve, i.e. a safari web browser update with an iTunes update

    2) None of your accusations have any references or sources. It is all speculation at best.

    To sit down and say that Apple hatched a this grand Hegelian scheme to allow developers to do all this work and then turn around and sue them is preposterous.

    (or would it be Machiavellian)

    Either way, the question still does remain that if Apple does get their way, will it be stand or surrender.

    Obviously sights like MMi will be target, as well as Saurik and the like. It would really be up to the owners of the site for them to decide if they would want to pursue defense.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

  4. #24
    So should Dell tell me what I can and can't run on my PC? Their logic if flawed.

  5. #25
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ca3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    yes, not to mention apple needs to changde some thing now that the n97 and stuff are being released

  6. #26
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm willing to donate and help in any way

  7. #27
    i would definetly donate, i appreciatte all the time the developers have put in to make my iphone something greater to look at and use everday

  8. #28
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    The plan:

    1) sue all of the jailbreak software developers. ( including: saurik, muscle nerd, planet being, the entire dev team.)
    2) sue all of the software developers who have published an application for the jailbroken devices. (including myself)
    3) release a software update that will cripple all of our progress with the iphone. making us start over all new just as if it were the initial release of the iphone and we will have to start all over.
    1. Uh-huh
    2. Sure
    3. Unlikely

    Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    what does this mean for you? it means that we will have to watch out and inspect all of the future updates released by apple before loading them onto our devices. (there have been incidents in the past resulting in companies completely wiping out hacked devices remotely.)
    This has always been the case. Where have you been?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  9. #29
    Isn't the whole point of making jailbreaking illegal for profit? Cydia hosts hundreds or free applications which affects appstore because developers can make those same applications and make money for it and therefore apple as well. I think this, and along with cracked applications, is the main reason why they are making jailbreaking illegal. Any thoughts?

  10. #30
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cooper City, FL
    Posts
    275
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    I'm unemployed and I'd donate.

    Man, **** Apple. If it weren't for the hackers and jailbreaking I wouldn't even own an iPhone. So those very things they are trying to prevent are the causes for people paying for the product.

    Wouldn't it almost make sense for them to support it in that sense?

  11. #31
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Deviatorz View Post
    Isn't the whole point of making jailbreaking illegal for profit? Cydia hosts hundreds or free applications which affects appstore because developers can make those same applications and make money for it and therefore apple as well. I think this, and along with cracked applications, is the main reason why they are making jailbreaking illegal. Any thoughts?
    I think there's some confusion here. Apple isn't "making" jailbreaking illegal, jailbreaking IS illegal under the DMCA. Apple is simply publicly declaring it for the first time.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  12. #32
    so they say...

    but there is question if the DMCA is even valid

    the eff is trying to knock it down

  13. #33
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    so they say...

    but there is question if the DMCA is even valid

    the eff is trying to knock it down
    The only people "questioning" it, are the ones who want to get around it.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  14. #34
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    What DMCA stand for ? BTW 20 , 50 or even $100 US i would donate, i learn alot from here...

  15. #35
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    The only people "questioning" it, are the ones who want to get around it.
    Anybody can claim anything they want ... and usually win if they throw enough money at it (think Simpson ). But as I've said many times, just because Apple says it's illegal does NOT MAKE IT SO!!!

    In the US, current applicability of any law is decided by the courts. Until then, the 'law' has not been tested.

    Most of us as 'good law-abiding citizens' just way, what the heck, we must obey. But that's really the wrong way. We as citizens should really 'test' every law.

    Make the courts confirm each and every law conforms to the boundaries of our founding fathers. This will ensure our true democratic freedoms we've fought so hard for.

  16. #36
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    And again the confusion continues, or some people don't read before responding. Apple does not make law, they have declared jailbreaking illegal because under the DMCA, it is. Apple didn't make the DMCA, they are simply trying to enforce it.

    We should test every law? Sound good, I'm going to pop off and murder my landlord. I can always use the excuse, I just wanted to test if I'd be arrested. I'm sure they'll let me go. Laws are made because the law makers know they are going to be broken, and then the punishment can justifiably be applied.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  17. #37
    What's Jailbreak? thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,535
    Thanks
    3,596
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

    OK.... I just got up a nuff nerve to jailbreak my phone and now this.... I would be glad to donate also... even if I don't end up jailbreaking it sir!

    I have been on computers for a long long long time! There has always been hackers and pirates... it will never end period.... not to mention the people that get kicks out of making ones life miserable with viruses.... were talking windows now... not mac

    Computer viruses are illegal to write but how many of them come out each month if your using a PC? Look at what people have to do with their PC's to protect them today....

    So if people jailbreak their phone they are not going to check each person in the world to see if your phone has been hacked at.... the world is full of bad guys that hurt people... I don't think the courts need people that jailbreak their phones keeping the court rooms full.....

    We are all educated on this now... so everyone will be careful before updating the firmware until the coast is clear.... if they lock up the phone with an update someone will learn and someone might get a bricked phone but the word will get out right away not to update it until it is ok just like what happens every time there is an update right now...

    And if they come out with something to stop the jailbreaking.... once again no matter what people will still get through..... some may back down because of all of the hard work to break their coding but there are guys that live for this kind of stuff.... jailbreaking will never end.... pirating will never end nor will viruses.....

    Once again I will donate if I jailbreak or don't jailbreak and will sign a petition as well if needed... )
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 2009-02-20 at 11:51 PM.

  18. #38
    Sound good, I'm going to pop off and murder my landlord
    you dont need to do that..... that law has already been tested

  19. #39
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    And again the confusion continues, or some people don't read before responding. Apple does not make law, they have declared jailbreaking illegal because under the DMCA, it is. Apple didn't make the DMCA, they are simply trying to enforce it.

    We should test every law? Sound good, I'm going to pop off and murder my landlord. I can always use the excuse, I just wanted to test if I'd be arrested. I'm sure they'll let me go. Laws are made because the law makers know they are going to be broken, and then the punishment can justifiably be applied.
    That's funny .... murder? Hahaha. Have you forgotten? That law has already been tested as with many many many others. Can you say that about the DMCA? I don't think so, especially when you consider the changing electronic / network / etc environment. What was true is the past ..... is frequently not true today.

    So, all this Microsoft anti-trust billions was wasted? Hmmm. Sure glad somebody decided to 'test' their monopolist tendencies and the laws they used to enforce their rules. And there's more to come Now Apple is going to experience the people in action. It's about time.
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-02-21 at 12:50 AM.

  20. #40
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    So, all this Microsoft anti-trust billions was wasted? Hmmm. Sure glad somebody decided to 'test' their monopolist tendencies and the laws they used to enforce their rules. And there's more to come Now Apple is going to experience the people in action. It's about time.
    That wasn't testing the law, it was using the law to bring Microsoft to account for their actions. Hardly the same thing.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •