Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to make sure i stay at firmware 1.0.2

Default How to make sure i stay at firmware 1.0.2
    I have an iPhone in transit that i purchased a week or so ago.

I am planning to use the following tutorial to unlock the phone given i have an iMac :

http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.ph...e_Modding_OS_X

How can i make sure of the following :

1) What version of the firmware i have on the phone ?
    2) How do i make sure i stay at v1.0.2 when i plug the phone into the computer ?
    3) I have iTunes v7.4.1 currently......should i stay on this version from now on and not upgrade to v7.4.2 ??

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

I would stay at 7.4.1 for now. To stay with 1.0.2, you'll need to hope a little bit. There is ways around it, we will update when the new firmware comes out.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks.

Is there no way to stop the firmware updating at the moment ?

Thanks

Sure there is, you just press no. The issue is, you DO need to be running 1.0.2 to do the unlock properly. More info when we see exactly what the new firmware alters.

Thanks

Anytime.

iPhone? More like MyPhone catriple's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey all. Is there any way to back out of the Unlock if you didnt install the unlock software with 1.0.2? I have done dozens of phones, but have about 10 that I didnt realize I didnt update before running the unlock.app. Suggestions? I already restored them all and tried rerunning them all but I get "No Service" when I insert the T-mobile sim!?

Yes I do realize that the tut says in many places that you have to be running the 1.0.2 firmware. Yes, I should have updated. Im stuck now with these phones and hate to return and take a $400 hit for restocking!

Any advice would help!

Assuming i have v1.0.2 on the phone then i will be fine ?

If I have a lower version e.g. 1.0.1 how can i get it to 1.0.2 ? or just wait till there is a fix for the new firmware.

Apologies for all the questions.......just trying to work out what the best thing to do is....have a go at unlocking it when it arrives or just wait for an unlock for v1.1.1.

Thanks

Until I get a full Wiki up, here's the basic instructions.

http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/1.0...one_unlock_fix

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

catriple (2007-09-25)

iPhone? More like MyPhone catriple's Avatar
    Thanks

poetic_folly... you're my hero of the day...I have been stressing out over returning these things!

question.. how do I SSH in to run mkdir /Unlock... Terminal or Cyberduck? Cant I just SSH in with Cyberduck and add a folder named unlock in the / directory?

I need some more direction on this one... if you can help! of course a tut would be even better!
    Last edited by catriple; 2007-09-25 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"Supposed" that Apple just released a newer version of firmware today, say 1.0.3. If I connect a virgin iPhone (bought 2 weeks ago, may be 1.0.1, 1.0.2, not sure) to my Mac and click "Restore and Update", will iTunes download 1.0.3 and update my iPhone to 1.0.3?

If so, how can I prevent this? Can I ask iTunes to do "Restore and Update" by using a 1.0.2 firmware stored on my Mac (i.e., update locally without going online)?

Thanks in advance

I asked the same question, but it got lost in the thread.

""Supposed" that Apple just released a newer version of firmware today, say 1.0.3. If I connect a virgin iPhone (bought 2 weeks ago, may be 1.0.1, 1.0.2, not sure) to my Mac and click "Restore and Update", will iTunes download 1.0.3 and update my iPhone to 1.0.3?

If so, how can I prevent this? Can I ask iTunes to do "Restore and Update" by using a 1.0.2 firmware stored on my Mac (i.e., update locally without going online)?"

Save a copy of the 1.02 download from Apple, it just might come in handy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catriple View Post
    Cant I just SSH in with Cyberduck and add a folder named unlock in the / directory?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by suiduck View Post
    "Supposed" that Apple just released a newer version of firmware today, say 1.0.3. If I connect a virgin iPhone (bought 2 weeks ago, may be 1.0.1, 1.0.2, not sure) to my Mac and click "Restore and Update", will iTunes download 1.0.3 and update my iPhone to 1.0.3?

If so, how can I prevent this? Can I ask iTunes to do "Restore and Update" by using a 1.0.2 firmware stored on my Mac (i.e., update locally without going online)?

Thanks in advance
    I'd do like CyberGreg says, and make sure you have a copy of the 1.0.2 firmware. We are working on a way to have the phone flashed with THAT firmware instead of the newer one.

Hi-

I have the same concerns as the original OP. I have a refurb iPhone that is in transit and will be here on Saturday.

I am willing to wait a few days before activating to see if the new firmware will be hacked, but if not I am hoping that I can get the phone to 1.0.2 and use the current unlock process...I don't buy Apple's statement that irrepairable damage is done to the phone by a software unlock...

I saved a copy of the 1.0.2 firmware on my iMac, downloaded all the apps required, and made .pdfs of the current modmyi unlock guide just in case this site is somehow shut down by legal action in the next week or one of the apps becomes unavailable (I know it's a remote chance but I don't want to have to pay any restocking fees...).

I've been lurking on here the last few days looking at threads and I saw somewhere that there is a way to force iTunes to let you browse for the firmware update file...Can anyone confirm this? I would assume that if this is the case, the all you would need to do is force iTunes to use your 1.0.2 file for an update and then use the guide as usual.

Does anyone know, can you use the current version of iNdependence which fixes YouTube to work with a Wifi connection and the Tmobile T-zones hack at the bottom of the faq? In other words, can the YouTube app use either Wifi or the Mobile connection depending on what is available or is it one or the other?
    Last edited by silentmac; 2007-09-25 at 11:21 PM.

I am in the same situation. I have a refurb 8GB coming on Saturday and I am not sure if it has the required 1.0.2 firmware installed or not. I downloaded said firmware, but I am wondering if there is a way to place the .ipsw on your hard drive and get iTunes to recognize that you have 1.0.2 installed and ready for an iPhone restore/update. That way you can just carry on like you had the/an iPhone plugged in and/or updated previous to receiving it. I placed the file in ~/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw, but noticed that the iPod updates also have a related .signature file which I assume somehow connects the .ipsw to iTunes??? Correct me If i am barking up the wrong tree....

I guess what all of us want to know is: if apple updates the software tomorrow (to 1.0.3 or 1.1, whatever) and it breaks the unlock process, and one acquires an iPhone with 1.0.1 or earlier, what will be the process to update it to 1.0.2? Can we still trick iTunes into using 1.0.2 if we have the file on hand? If so, what is the process? I think we need some clarification from someone that might have more experience with all this. Thanks in advance, this site is absolutely amazing, as are the people in these forums.

Thanks

I have heard you can simply hold down Option while clicking restore and iTunes will give you the option of which file you want to restore with.

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    I have heard you can simply hold down Option while clicking restore and iTunes will give you the option of which file you want to restore with.
    Thanks for the info! Can anybody confirm that this is a workaround?

EDIT: Doesn't seem to work for iPods.
    Last edited by scandals; 2007-09-26 at 07:57 AM.

What's the chances of having the new firmware and doing a restore and picking the 1.0.2/3.14. That will be pretty interesting to try since it should be backward compatable.

It seems that in iTunes, when it detects a phone in restore mode it will try to look for the latest firmware and download it. Great until 1.0.3 comes. From my other thread it seems that when the message appears to upgrade/restore the firmware, hold down the shift key and click the restore button and u will be able to browse to the file u want to use. Hope this helps people...will be trying out soon enough to know for sure if it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast