Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restored via Itunes, activated, but why didn't I need to unlock again?

Default Restored via Itunes, activated, but why didn't I need to unlock again?
    i noticed a wierd thing... phone got kinda screwy so i performed a full restore via iTunes -

then i ran iNdependence again and did the activation - it worked - i had left my SIM in there and then noticed that it was still unlocked... i never did the 'lockdown' file or 'unlock' file parts of the walkthrough.... anyone have any idea why that is?

also, the first time i did this.. i never went to the Jailbreak section of iNdependence and clicked "Perfom Jailbreak" - yet i was still able to copy files to the phone...

i'm not complaining, just confused...??

------------- an update
    this is kinda odd - so as i stated in my previous post, i did a full restore via iTunes, but left my old sim in there when i did the iNdependence activation - after it was activated (and BEFORE) i did the UnLock procedure, the phone showed "cingular" as the carrier and i was able to make calls - odd...

however, i screwed up on installing an app, so had to do the whole frickn' process over again, so this time i took out my old SIM and put back in the original (non working) ATT sim - did the whole process, right up untill copying over the unlock files, so i thought to try the old SIM again and see what happens, now it doesn't work...

question being, does having your old sim in while phone is activated via Independence DO something special?
    Last edited by ben8jam; 2007-09-19 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

A restore to same firmware doesn't re-lock the phone, depending on the method you used.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews