Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Receiving sms/text message display number

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Receiving sms/text message display number
    Ive seen this asked before but I cant seem to find the thread.

basically my contacts are stored in Uk format on my phone, synced from iTunes
    i.e 01234 567890
    however when i receive a text, i dont get the name of the contact show on the screen i get +44 1234 567890

anyone know how i can fix this ?
    Thanks

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Check the bottom of the Unlock F.A.Q.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This only changes the display format when dialing numbers
    the problem is, in the uk texts are sent as +44 7945 123566 format
    and on the iPhone if the number coming in dosnt exactly match a number in your address book then the lookup will fail and will just show the phone number,
    i assume other phones get roudn this by stripping the country code off and replacing it with 0 before doing a lookup on the address book
    i have made a workaround by adding another field next to each contact with phone number +44 7935 123456(for texts) and one for 07935 123456(for calls)

Thanks

i had the same problem. are your texts coming from out of country? because i'm in the Hawaii but i receive text from Asia and that how it showed up at first. this is how i fixed it...i added that number to the contact in my iphone as a second mobile or home #. for example you have 44 1234 567890 as a mobile # for Jenny now add +44 1234 567890 for the 2nd mobile #. this way your phone will recognize that # is Jenny who's texting you. hope you don't have too many contacts that you have to do this to.

oops! wasn't even paying attention. basically what ScottDrummer said.
    Last edited by nxovkin; 2007-09-19 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nxovkin For This Useful Post:

ScottDrummer (2007-09-19)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    yeah this is what I had to do, although i did it in osx address book and synced the iphone via iTunes.
    My texts are currently uk to uk. bit of a missing feature in the iphone i guess, as a 'typical' phone will prolly analyse the number striping the +44 and finding a match in the contacts list on the phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone slavipz's Avatar
    Thanks

I have downloaded and installed XMLSpear so to be able to editABPhoneFormats.plist but when i try to open the .plist files it asks me for the encoding of the file, however i have tried all of the encodings but will all of them it just shows $%^%$^$%#$%@#%#$%#$, any solution ?

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I just realised how to fix this. Not that i made the fix or anything but if you add the iunlock repository in installer and install the "Phone # to name fix" that will sort it out.
    when you install it'll ask you how many digits in your shortest number, so for us UK iphone users select 10 and it should be all good.

Yah but wat do you do if you have a 1.12?