Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Open SSH Question

Question Open SSH Question
    So I have been on here everyday learning from you all and reading a lot of info. I have been able to use SSH on my iPhone to transfer ringtones and other items. My question is this. I have a friend in another state and he wants me to do some stuff to his iPhone can I connect to his phone wirelessly? if he is on wifi, and I have his ip Address can I connect to him?

Thanks

this is just a guess, but yes...

if in his wireless router he opened port 22 to the internal IP of his iPhone and then sFTP to his public IP - i don't see why not? or setup his iPhone as DMZ, but that would really expose him

has anyone else tried this?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ben8jam For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (2007-09-18)

ok thank you

i dont think you would be able to connect cuz he is pretty far away the wifi cannot reach that far. but i could be wrong
    i LOVE apple.

SO you have to be on the same network? I did not know if it was like doing something over an FTP...... do it all the time across state, and international lines.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

No I do not think you have to be on the same network. What ben8jam said was correct, connect to his public IP address which he can forward port 22 to that iPhone internal IP address.

Rippey

iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrrippey View Post
    No I do not think you have to be on the same network. What ben8jam said was correct, connect to his public IP address which he can forward port 22 to that iPhone internal IP address.

Rippey
    you will need to configure his router to fwd port 22 through to the pubilc IP, then you should be able to connect from your 'puter to his public IP with SFTP
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable