Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Edge settings after Unlocking(iUnlock)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Edge settings after Unlocking(iUnlock)
    i unlocked the iphone version 1.0.2 and i was wondering how to configure the edge settings for tmobile but, under settings| general | network there is no option for 'EDGE.' am i doing something incorrectly?

i think the edge settings in part 4 of the unlock manual are not correct.
    use wap.voicestream.com instead of internet2.voicestream.
    edge works for me that way

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Depends on your plan. With the unlimited internet $19.99 plan, its internet2.voicestream.com. I know, I'm using that right now.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I just set my new phone up following the Jailbreak tutorial to use my iphone on Tmobile(worked perfectly!) and have just configured my EDGE. Here's what worked for me:

1- Purchase Total internet plan on tmobile.com (may take 24 hours to activate, but generally less).

2- Go to "Settings" on your iphone home screen

3- Touch "General"

4- The touch "Network" (You should see EDGE, VPN and Wi-Fi as choices. If you don't see EDGE, your service may not be active yet).

5- Touch EDGE and next to "APN" put "internet2.voicestream.com"

6- Leave Username and Password alone (Mine just has "[email protected]" for Username and Cingular1" for password.

7-Shut off phone and restart. Bingo!

not everyoe for some reason has the EDGE setting choice even available - i am on an old ATT account and EDGE worked fine on my old phone (so it's obviosly active) but the iPhone had NO choice for edge (just wifi and vpn) - however i found another guide at another site that showed you how to manually edit the network prefs file -

unfortunatly, they killed the link that explain how to do that, luckily i had copy and pasted it (the settings only apply to ATT, you'll have to put yor own tmobile settings in, this is just where to go to edit it)

1. don't bother looking for than damn EDGE setting. You have to go old school and edit a file.
    2. ssh into your iphone
    3. cd /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
    3.5. cp preferences.plist preferences.plist.orig
    4. vi preferences.plist
    5. search for "cingular"
    6. This should bring you to a code chunk that has the following
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>wap.cingular</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string>CINGULAR1</string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string>[email protected]</string>
    7. replace wap.cingular with proxy. Delete CINGULAR1 and [email protected]. So it looks like the following
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>proxy</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string></string>
    8. Save. Exit you session. Reboot your iphone.
    9. Enjoy edge on your old AT&T plan

Default More help
    This didn't work for me. I confirmed with att that I have unlimited MMODE and I still cant get an edge connection. Is there any way I can test with my razr that I am actually on the edge network? Is my blue sim card too old?
    Any Ideas???

are you sure you did it right?

i have the blue ATT sim too - mmode unlimited - same legacy ATT account.. this is what you have to do to make edge work - yes, your razr can go online - but you need to setup the wap settings in it too - though i remember it being alot more complicated - you can find those settings by seraching online

try the method above again - it's worked for me and a few other people in our same situation..

Quote Originally Posted by ben8jam View Post
    not everyoe for some reason has the EDGE setting choice even available - i am on an old ATT account and EDGE worked fine on my old phone (so it's obviosly active) but the iPhone had NO choice for edge (just wifi and vpn) - however i found another guide at another site that showed you how to manually edit the network prefs file -

unfortunatly, they killed the link that explain how to do that, luckily i had copy and pasted it (the settings only apply to ATT, you'll have to put yor own tmobile settings in, this is just where to go to edit it)

1. don't bother looking for than damn EDGE setting. You have to go old school and edit a file.
    2. ssh into your iphone
    3. cd /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
    3.5. cp preferences.plist preferences.plist.orig
    4. vi preferences.plist
    5. search for "cingular"
    6. This should bring you to a code chunk that has the following
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>wap.cingular</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string>CINGULAR1</string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string>[email protected]</string>
    7. replace wap.cingular with proxy. Delete CINGULAR1 and [email protected]. So it looks like the following
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>proxy</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string></string>
    8. Save. Exit you session. Reboot your iphone.
    9. Enjoy edge on your old AT&T plan

I'm so glad you saved this! It was EXACTLY what I was looking for. THANK YOU! It works perfectly for me!