Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wanna make sure this will work before I do it! -Going back to previous plan

Cool Wanna make sure this will work before I do it! -Going back to previous plan
    Alright, I have an iPhone within the 30 day period for the new AT&T service that I upgraded to. So yes, I had a previous AT&T account before I got the iPhone.

I talked to a representative on the phone and it sounded to me like this will work. This isn't a new thing or anything, I know people have done it, i just want to make sure.

I will cancel my iPhone plan, go back to a 39.99, 450 minute plan with a 19.99 data plan that gives 200 messages and unlimited Edge. So essentially it's the same exact plan. I will be able to take my iPHone simcard out and put it in my Sony Ericsson w600i, and it should work (according to the woman on the phone, after they switch my service back).

So, with my previous plan (whos contract expires in January ) I will put the simcard back in the iPhone. I'm not sure which message I will get here, but I am assuming that using the known hacks will allow me to use the phone, correct?

Now for some questions:

Will I have to restore my phone?
    Do the terminal methods for using an old SIM work on PPC macs?
    ...Or should I use a program to do it, which are available for PPC?
    Do you think this is worth it for my contract to expire in January?
    If I choose to switch back to an iPhone plan, I will have to sign a new 2-year contract, correct?
    I currently have iTunes 7.3x... will updating to 7.4 after cause any problems?

Thank you very much for reading!!! Any responses of opinion or help would be great.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

You should update to 7.4, yes. The EDGE plan will work fine, although I'm not sure your visual voicemail will work since its not the iphone plan. Yah, its worth it to not have a two year contract, if you're not happy with the service. If you love ATT, it doesnt really matter. Not sure if iNdependence, which would let you run a separate sim in there, works with PPC. Dont have one to test with. You might not even need it, though, are you using the same sim?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

FrogsOblivious (2007-09-13)

Thank you for the response!

Yes, I will be using the same Sim card. When I cancel my iphone contract, the rep. told me to just put my iPhone sim back in my old phone and it should work. So then i'll be switching it back into the iPhone. I figured it might not work though, since it might be ..... uh... 'programmed' to just work on regular phones?

Do you think i'll need it? I guess thatd be nice if i don't. What about the new 1.0.3 firmware coming out? Should I be worried about updating before that?

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Nope and nope.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews