Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The 1.0.2 update f'ed my iPhone bad.... real bad.

Angry The 1.0.2 update f'ed my iPhone bad.... real bad.
    I ran the update... it forced a "restore and update" because my hacks.

After restart my iPhone no longer has working audio. When in iPod mode the music is silent... when playing video there is no audio.

I can't use the phone because the earpiece isn't working but oddly enough speakerphone works.

I can go under ringtone selection and playback ringtones with no problem.

I've ran a restore under iTunes a few times. After the restore finishes I'm still left with the same audio problems.

Is there a way to do a FULL factory reset on the iPhone? I'm running out of options and I'm worried I'll have to take it into the Apple Store if I can't get this resolved. Any info would be much appreciated.

no worries, your still within 90 days purchase. Take it back and see if they will service it. Oh yea, and make sure you dont leave trace of any hacks nor mention them.

Silly question, you don't have the switch on the side set to turn the speaker off, do you? I did that once after first setting up my Bluetooth headset, and couldn't figure out why the phone didn't ring anymore...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo For This Useful Post:

luvmyfone (2008-05-25)

haha... no, i wish that was the issue.

the switch on the side doesn't mute the earpeice during calls... it's there to silence the ringer.

but thanks for the tip incase I was overlooking the obvious.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mingistech For This Useful Post:

luvmyfone (2008-05-25)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

did you do anything with the mod for NES sound b4 the update?

iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe that all you have to do is the same thing that you would do for a normal jailbreak setup (hold down on/off and main button for 25 seconds) until the phone says "connect to itunes"...then connect it to itunes. iTunes should then figure out that you are in need of a restore and proceed. if you have already downloaded the restore files and think that they might be hosed, you should probably delete them first.
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable

just for the hell of it load mediaserverd

Yes i was dicking around with the audio on the NES emulator. But I just got all audio back from some suggestions at Apple's Support Forum.

I'm totally surprised but plugging in headphones enabled the iPod audio and after removing them the speakers started working too.

Right after that... all audio is restored. I was only going off the internal speaker for all the audio testing and for some reason after the update it wouldn't work till after the headphone jack was used.

I'm gonna restart it again... and keep my fingers crossed that this audio problem doesn't resurface.

Thankyou everyone that chimed in to help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mingistech For This Useful Post:

themantis16 (2007-08-23)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

lol plugging the headphones in? that's it? hallllarrious

yea i know... i feel like a total ****** for not trying that.

i just had no idea that speaker functionality wouldn't work till the headphones were used.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was some how connected to that damn NES audio.

Just last night i edited the .profile file with the sound/nosound alias

I love these hacks... but, sometimes it's just not worth it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mingistech View Post
    Yes i was dicking around with the audio on the NES emulator. But I just got all audio back from some suggestions at Apple's Support Forum.

I'm totally surprised but plugging in headphones enabled the iPod audio and after removing them the speakers started working too.

Right after that... all audio is restored. I was only going off the internal speaker for all the audio testing and for some reason after the update it wouldn't work till after the headphone jack was used.

I'm gonna restart it again... and keep my fingers crossed that this audio problem doesn't resurface.

Thankyou everyone that chimed in to help.
    lmao!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mingistech View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was some how connected to that damn NES audio.
    I don't think thats the cause. I was having this same issue just the day before the update and never installed NES. My sound, just through the handset, wouldn't work either even after trying to use the headphones. I had to put it on the charger or a minute or two to get it working again.

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    lol plugging the headphones in? that's it? hallllarrious
    Tell me about it sounds hilarious but... I had this same problem earlier, for no apparent reason my sound was lost after I got off a conference call (using the headphones). When I unplugged it lost the sound, could only use speakerphone. Earpiece was dead too. Turned off and on the phone a few times still nothing.

Plugged the headphones back and noticed it was still working in that. Removed them to try again and son of a ***** worked.

Dixit

Well randomness of randomness.

No sounds except ringer. Headphones in and tested the sounds and it worked. Take the headphones out again, and i'll be damned - sound is restored.

I'm betting its a hardware issue and has something to do w/ the connection the headphone creates (the three bands on the plug) with the phone. Perhaps the phone continues playing sounds over the headphones jack b/c it never received the signal that the phones were unplugged.

Plug 'em and unplug em again and when the phone is signaled properly, sounds are played out of the speaker.

Who knows - just glad its not getting boxed up and sent back.

Check to make sure there wasn't anything in the head phone port. I had the same problem and it ended up being a big piece of lent suck in there cause the connects not to connect.

Default I see this a alot.
    I'm privy to seeing a many broken iphones, and this is actually a fairly common incidence. Sometimes the headphone jack doesn't seeem to register that the headphones have been unplugged. Plugging them in and removing them again usually solves the problem. I think it's wholly unrelated to the hacks, or the updates, and may just be a coincidence.

I've seen that problem on completely stock phones.

Also, FYI, the hardware warranty on the phone is 1 year, so as long as you restore the firmware to apple-sanctioned config, they'll fix anything that's not physical damage for a year

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

yes good advice i've seen that too

Default Samething happened on my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogjonx View Post
    Tell me about it sounds hilarious but... I had this same problem earlier, for no apparent reason my sound was lost after I got off a conference call (using the headphones). When I unplugged it lost the sound, could only use speakerphone. Earpiece was dead too. Turned off and on the phone a few times still nothing.

Plugged the headphones back and noticed it was still working in that. Removed them to try again and son of a ***** worked.

Dixit
    i was using my headset for a while listening to my ipod then i unplugged it. Next thing i know i tried making calls and there is no audio except for the speakerphone. I un-installed sme 3rd party apps and was still a problem. I even went to the settings audio menu and it still did not work. Finally, i plugged the headphones and i tried to make a call and it worked! I unplugged it again and it finally gave me some audio. I think it has something to do with the sensor were u plug the headset.