Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Oh crap!!!

Unhappy Oh crap!!!
    In my infinite wisdom, I did exactly what you aren't supposed to do, and changed my master.passwd file to use /bin/bash as my shell without uploading /etc/shells

Now I can't login via ssh or sftp. trying to copy files via scp results in invalid password errors, and trying to run terminal on the phone crashes.

is there *any* way to reset my master.passwd file w/o a hard reset of the phone?

if someone could link me to/make a package that would work with installer and reset the master.passwd file to its default it would be GREATLY apprieciated!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Unplug your phone from your computer. Hold down the Sleep and Menu buttons (for ~25 seconds) until a yellow caution sign appears with the message "Please connect to iTunes." Connect to iTunes. Restore. Curse your infinite wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by idugcoal View Post
    Connect to iTunes. Restore.
    Yeah I know that will fix it. I just don't want to have to re-mod everything.

I've made a package that would work with installer.app, but now I've got to find some way to get it listed in a source/add my web server to the sources list.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

why wouldnt you just use iphuc or something to put the correct files on . . . or is that no longer working

Thanks

"this one time, at band camp"...I scp'd a second copy of binkit to /bin but forgot to make them executable, rebooted the phone, it comes up into a non-fsck'd, read-only single user level, complaining that launchd cant run /bin/sh permission denied (duh). I spent some time trying iphuc, noticed that you can put the phone into restore mode and run iphuc it has a "filecopytophone" command, and a "cmd" command but I couldnt write to / and wasnt sure about syntax...anyways....I restored thru itunes. Now some yahoo is spreading an apple update rumor, so I'm sitting back for a few days before re-modding. good times.

the post I saw regarding an apple update was old, pre 1.0.1, and lame. disregard.
    Last edited by 0solvent; 2007-08-20 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I still use Solaris