Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help installing SSH

Default Help installing SSH
    tried just about every link from every different site including here and this is what I get every time

d-ls-computer:~ dl$ cd phonedmg/imarz
    d-ls-computer:~/phonedmg/imarz dl$ ./iPhoneMacSSHInstall.sh
    This shell script will install and enable a SSH server on your iPhone.
    This script was created by Dallas Brown (http://www.kdbdallas.com)
    This script was based off of Nate True's (http://cre.ations.net/blog) Windows script

Special thanks to all of the #iphone dev team.

--------PHASE 1: Getting files off your iPhone---------

iPhoneInterface v0.3.4 built on Jul 25 2007

Waiting for phone... established.
    iPhone state: Activated
    type "help" for help
    iPhone:/# /usr/sbin/: No such file or directory
    iPhone:/# fileref: 1
    iPhone:/# /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/: No such file or directory
    iPhone:/# fileref: 1
    iPhone:/#

--------PHASE 2: Uploading files and reconfiguring your iPhone---------

type "help" for help
    iPhone:/# iPhone:/# /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/: No such file or directory
    iPhone:/# iPhone:/# /bin/: No such file or directory
    iPhone:/# iPhone:/# iPhone:/# iPhone:/# iPhone:/# iPhone:/etc/# iPhone:/etc/# iPhone:/etc/init.d/# iPhone:/etc/init.d/# /usr/bin/: No such file or directory
    iPhone:/etc/init.d/# iPhone:/etc/init.d/# iPhone:/etc/init.d/# /usr/lib/: No such file or directory
    iPhone:/etc/init.d/# iPhone:/etc/init.d/# iPhone:/etc/init.d/# iPhone:/etc/dropbear/# iPhone:/etc/dropbear/# iPhone:/etc/dropbear/#
    --------PHASE 3: Restarting your iPhone---------

Press and hold the Power button on your iPhone until it shows the 'slide to turn off' red slider.
    Slide it, wait for the phone to turn off, and press the power button to turn it on again.

Press Enter to continue...

--------PHASE 4: Putting init framework into place---------

mv: rename com.apple.update.plist.hackinit to com.apple.update.plist: No such file or directory

type "help" for help
    iPhone:/# Problem with AFCFileRefWrite: 11
    iPhone:/# Problem with AFCFileRefOpen: 11
    iPhone:/# Problem with AFCFileRefOpen: 11
    iPhone:/#
    --------PHASE 5: Restarting your iPhone, again---------

Restart your phone once more. After that, you're done!

Press Enter to continue...

--------PHASE 6: Clean up----------

rm: com.apple.update.plist: No such file or directory

type "help" for help
    iPhone:/# iPhone:/#

---------DONE!--------

Test connecting to your iPhone using ssh to see if this worked
    ex: ssh -l root [IP Address]

Remember the root password is: dottie

Press Enter to Jail your iPhone or Ctrl-C to keep it free from jail^C
    d-ls-computer:~/phonedmg/imarz dl$ ssh -l root 10.0.1.197
    ssh: connect to host 10.0.1.197 port 22: Connection refused
    d-ls-computer:~/phonedmg/imarz dl$

Help

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

do you have everything from the install kit in imarz?

have you broken out of jail before doing this?

I stepped through the SSH wiki without any errors... everything working great. I can't ssh into the iPhone though. Just hangs and eventually timesout. I made sure that the firewall is off.... any thoughts?

So I went back through, from ground zero to installing SSH. Everything working perfectly until I hit the getfile "/usr/sbin/update /phonedmg/sshkit/update" -- guess what, there isn't an "update" file in the sshkit.zip package... there is an update.sh, much like there is a dropbear.sh, but there IS NOT an 'update' file much like there is a 'dropbear' file.

I re-downloaded the sshkit.zip file, no luck. What's up??

Okay, so I went ahead and did a system restore, to REALLY set myself back to ground zero and went through each step to install i-Activator, JailBreak the phone and install iPHUC. All without issue, sure enough the 'update' file was there, so follow the WIKI for SSH also went on without error/issue... right up until I try to connect.

This is what I see:

MacBook:~ webguy$ ssh -vvl root 192.168.2.25
    OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
    debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to 192.168.2.25 [192.168.2.25] port 22.

And then it eventually just times out.
    Last edited by iPhoneWriter; 2007-08-17 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    - iPhoneWriter.com

Okay, so I finally figured out what was going on. To review, although I was able to do the SSH install without error, I couldn't connect... the connection attempt would just time out. So, I re-read the WIKI's, consulted the forums, did some Googling and tried again. Same result.

So, not being one to give up and taking it somewhat personally at this point, I looked for (and tried) alternate method's. Different combinations of Restoring my Apple iPhone, along with ./jailbreak vs. iFunastic vs. iActivator, and all variations of step-by-step and "easy" installs. Long story short, each method that worked without error (successfully) end with the same result of being unable to connect... the connection attempt would just time out.

I pressed on, and I am glad I did. As luck would have it, on yet another iTunes->Restore for my Apple iPhone, I decided to try *not* synching the iPhone after the restoration, basically keeping it as close to the "out of the box" product as possible. The iPhone was activated, but I didn't let it synch and that made all the difference. Something about eh synching of the data *before* installing SSH was the culprit behind being unable to connect.

The end result? Well, after that last iTunes->Restore, the SSH installation process went without a hitch and I was able to successfully SSH into the iPhone. Given I was already able to ./jailbreak and iPHUC, being able to SSH opened up the flood gates and my Apple iPhone is now fully tweaked.

Some notes I discovered along the way, in hopes that all of this information will help someone else.
    The ModMyI iPhone Skinner rocks. Use the file it produces with (a .IPB file) along with Install IPB to easily and fully customize the look of the Apple iPhone.
    The Install IPB application works best with the iPhone *after* the iPhone has been "freed" using iFuntastic. It doesn't seem to work right using ./jailbreak or iActivator.
    Whatever iPhone Skinner doesn't change, iFuntastic can (like the mail alert sound or battery cons, etc.)
    iFuntastic cannot be used to install new applications.
    There are several "quick and easy" install programs for SSH. They all seem to work best with iActivator vs. iFuntastic. Ultimately, I prefer the package put together by BlueDonkey, which does not require using iActivator or iFuntastic or anything first. Using it *immediately* after the "clean' iTunes-Restore was the ideal combination for me (iFuntastic, iActivator and iPHUC were all installed, I just didn't use any of them. BlueDonkey's package has it all covered.)
    The ModMyI WIKI's are awesome, but you have got to follow them precisely. Take your time and focus Danielson.
    Once SSH is installed and you are able to successfully SSH into your iPhone, everything else is a cakewalk.
    Installing new applications works best with iActivator, iPHUC and SSH *but* using SCP to copy the application to the iPhone instead of iPHUC (it takes fewer steps.)

A huge thanks to everyone who offered assistance along the way. Every little bit helped and ultimately got me to the goodness I am enjoying now. I hope this collection of tidbits steers someone else in the right direction along the way. It feels good when the kid gloves come off!
    - iPhoneWriter.com