Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is SSH the only way?

Default Is SSH the only way?
    Ive got a Mac and want to use it to mod my iPhone, thing is SSH is unsecure and it would be much simpler to PLUG THE IPHONE IN TO THE COMPUTER! So, can this be done to install apps. Because I thought you could use iPHUC to putfile whatever you wanted in to the /Applications dir.
    "Hey, I thought you said that guy was dead!"
    "No, what I said was he sleeps with the fishes"
    Windows is not a virus, viruses do something.

Why is ssh unsecured? ssh is encrypted, and assuming you changed the default password is very secure, and a proven technology that has been in mainstream for *nix for a long time.

Just an fyi.

Yep but hows about them bruteforcing scripts going around? Also, its much easer to just plug it in and do a few putfiles...

SSH is one of the most secure forms of communication between computers, it's completely encrypted. Any script kiddie hacks you see that claim otherwise are stupid. SSH is very hard to crack, and even if you did that would mean they'd have to be connected to the same Wireless access point as you to get into your iPhone; VERY unlikely.

SSH on the iPhone is by far the easiest way to get 3rd party applications. Unless you feel like chmod'ing till you're sick in the head :P

Good to know that thanks. Just what someone said in another forum. Thing is, I dont have a wireless access point anywhere near me and im not buying a router just to put apps on my iPhone... so when you chmod you can just plug the iPhone in and do it all through there?