Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: using iphone to connect to Airport Disk?

Default using iphone to connect to Airport Disk?
    Well I have an Airport extreme base station on my home router. Have A USB disk on it and set it up so I can access it over the WAN (anywhere on internet).
    I was thinking that if I can find a way to connect to it via my iphone, I could have access to tons of media beyond my storage capacity on the phone.

Now I know I can AFP into my iphone from my MAc and then do drag and drop form mac to iphone.

Is there a way I can use AFP from my iphone to connect to my AIRport disk over the net so I can then access and play files (movies primarily) on my iphone?

Thanks

iRemoteBuddy
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

where can i find this?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    iRemoteBuddy
    I found a Remote buddy
    but this just acts as a remote control. It doesn't allow me to access things.

There is also iphone remote. This however must be running on your mac making it a webserver. I am thinking more about a scenario of beeing away out of town with my mac laptop and iphone with me, but my network router with usb hardrive with al its media still connected at home. I would want to be able to login to it and access it.
    I can from the laptop using the connect to server command.
    How would I from the iphone if it i s possible?
    Last edited by canadoc; 2007-11-30 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by canadoc View Post
    I found a Remote buddy
    but this just acts as a remote control. It doesn't allow me to access things.

There is also iphone remote. This however must be running on your mac making it a webserver. I am thinking more about a scenario of beeing away out of town with my mac laptop and iphone with me, but my network router with usb hardrive with al its media still connected at home. I would want to be able to login to it and access it.
    I can from the laptop using the connect to server command.
    How would I from the iphone if it i s possible?
    Oh I see. You can certainly access the volume remotely, either through SSH or SFTP, but I think what you're looking for would be to stream the music/videos to your iPhone from your external volume? I know there's a program for that. Let me look for it...
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Even to ssh or sftp to it how would i?
    I can ssh into my phone from my mac but how do you do it in reverse? i would need a client on my phone but the ssh in my phone i think is one way

telekinesis works great on my iMac and allows me full file access to local and networked drives.

Certainly not what you asked for but it does allow similar access into your home network.

Default iphone disk access
    The first thing you will need to do is jailbreak your phone.

this can be done by navigating to jailbreakme.com on your iphone's safari app and then letting the program do all the work. Once installer is downloaded, go ahead and install summerboard with the installer.app if it hasnt already been installed automatically. You will know if it has if the home screen is scrollable, or if there is a new app that says SMBprefs.

Next, google "mobile terminal iphone" it should be stored on googlecode. read the wiki, its the third tab on the page under the link "how to install mobileterminal on..." and then install it via SSH from your mac.

To do this:

Open terminal on your mac.

type the following: ssh -l root your.iphones.ip
    Password: alpine

you will now be into your iphone and can complete the installation of your mobileterminal.app

Now, head back to the installer.app on your phone and download the Unix and SSH packages these are titled "BSD Subsystem" and "Open SSH" respectively.

Now you have a functional SSH client for your phone.

But wait, remote access to my mac via SSH on port 22 is blocked you say? well jinkies, Velma, alright, lets solve this little hiccup. Go to your system preferences on your mac and open up your network preferences. Highlight your device and hit configure. Click appletalk and then check Make AppleTalk Active. APPLY THESE PREFERENCES. now return to your syspref by clicking show all in the top left corner. Now click on sharing. Under services, select Personal File Sharing and Remote Login. Click start, or if the button says stop, leave it alone.

Now you are ready to access your drive from your phone via your computer.

I haven't yet figured out how to ssh directly to the airport drive without it being mounted to a computer but this isnt so bad for right now.

Oh, wait, this only works for a closed network right now… drat… okay, well one more step then…

You need to create an SSH Port Forwarding system, also referred to as a “tunnel”. To do this, you can SSH to your router with the appropriate tunneling specifications. Or if your like me, and have been bricked by your Airport Extreme from doing this, you can access it in the Airport Utility thus:

Double click your router in the airport utility. Now select the “Advanced” tab click port mapping, then the little plus sign.
    Now select Remote Login SSH from the drop down menu, it will fill in some of the boxes, now fill in you’re the ip your airport assigned to your computer.

To find this open up network in sys prefs again, click configure, and select the TCP/IP tab and look for the IP it will probably be like 10.0.1.(19x – 20x) something in that range.

Fill the Private IP address with that number.

Click continue, click done, now click update and wait for Airport to restart.

Congratulations! You have created a port forward for your computer.

You now can access your computer via ssh from anywhere on the internet by:

ssh –l username public.broadcast.ip

your public broadcast ip is generally assigned by your ISP if you connect using DHCP

you can find this number by opening your airport utility, double clicking your drive, selecting airport from the tabs, then summary from the other tabs. It’s the IP Address at the bottom.

So, sweet, access to your machine from anywhere on the net.

But lets say you want to take your computer with you, which you’ll need to do to get this little network drive mapping scheme to work.

Ok, with the drive connected to the airport, you should be able to mount it via ssh from your computer anywhere on the net using a cute little applescript like so:

osascript –e ‘tell app “Finder” to mount volume “smb://your.public.broadcast.ip.” ’

plug that into your terminal, it should mount the drive on your laptop. Cool, so now we’re set.

Reset your Iphone if you haven’t already.

Now open Terminal on your Iphone and SSH to your computer on whatever IP its currently associated with, you can find this by opening Network from syspref hitting config and then TCP/IP and looking at it there. (same as before):

ssh –l username current.local.ip.here
    Password: Password

cd ../../.. or as far up as you can go

note: using the ~/ command will not work as the local folder is not the highest directory on macs

now that your up as high as you can go, type:

cd Volumes

ls –l

now that you can see how things are laid out go ahead and change directory into whatever you need.

If you want to copy some files to your iphone etc, go ahead and:

scp –rp source target

I apologize if this isn’t quite what you were looking for, but it’s a start, it’ll get you most of the way there. I haven’t yet figured out how to SSH directly to the airport drive… in fact, I’m not totally sure its possible. But if you figure it out, please let me know.