Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: terminal password permission denied

Default terminal password permission denied
    I have finally managed to get ssh working after truing many methods. the problem was with my ip address. for some reason the ip address given on my iphone was 1 digit wrong, the last number read 102 and worked when i tried 101. Weird!!! Now i get a password error! the exact error can be seen in the attached .png image.

Can anyone help?!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -picture-1.png  

Have you changed the password? If not try these (in order):

Password #1: dottie

If that doesn't work try...

Password #2: alpine

Report back to help others.

This has not worked. i guess the password must have been changed, possibly by the supplier here in dubai?! I will have to check this out, at cost i guess? thanks for your help any way.

Before you do try some obvious options:

admin
    root
    password
    psswd

...for starters...

Is there away to change a forgotten iphone root password, buy getting into the iphone and replacing the passwd file in /usr/bin, or any other method for changing a root password that has been forgotten?

Dunno...could try... :•)

more like ... :-(

cheers for the cheerie face!!

guess i need some serious help

Try: rm /Users/your.os.x.user/.ssh/known_hosts

Then try to SSH into the phone.

Thanks

in mobile terminal type passwd...you should be able to change password...

terminal on my macbook pro or on the iphone. on the macbook it needs your existing password to change to a new password, which does not help.

Is there a way to change the root password when you do not know what the password is? And i have tried dotie, alpine, admin, passwd, absolutely everything?

Please can someone help. Each time i get a step closer to unlocking something unusual pops up.

Thanks in advance :-)
    Last edited by johncam; 2007-11-05 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

john in mobile terminal on the iphone you should be able to run passwd and change it without the existing password...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mkurasz For This Useful Post:

johncam (2007-11-06)

Quote Originally Posted by jjgsxr883 View Post
    in mobile terminal type passwd...you should be able to change password...
    Never knew you could do that. Nice tip, thx.

Quote Originally Posted by mkurasz View Post
    john in mobile terminal on the iphone you should be able to run passwd and change it without the existing password...
    Thanks. i have managed to change the password this way. However when i go to use the terminal on my MacBook it doesn't recognise the password. I have attached the terminal window.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -picture-1.png  

Strange. Executing the passwrd command allowed me to change mine w/o issue. Maybe try a second time then restart the iPhone.

Are there any settings on my MacBook that i need to check in system preferences - sharing and services/firewall settings? Or any other system preferences set ups?

still no luck. I have been very patient with this phone and thanks to you guys i have come some of the way to having a phone again. But still the root password is a real annoying issue!!! i have set up a new passwd using vt terminal on the phone but still when i go to use the terminal on my macbook it does not recognise my passwd.

This is so f...ing annoying and it means i cant downgrade the baseband so that i can then unlock and have a fully functioning iphone again. What can i do next? Any ideas anyone on how to sort my password/terminal issue out?
    Last edited by johncam; 2007-11-07 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

well it seems lots of people are having problems with SSH..

i cant get into mine as well

keeps saying permission denied

any word on why this is happening so much to so many people?

Nothing as yet. But hopefully someone out there will have a fix for this.
    Is yours a password issue or is it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by johncam View Post
    I have finally managed to get ssh working after truing many methods. the problem was with my ip address. for some reason the ip address given on my iphone was 1 digit wrong, the last number read 102 and worked when i tried 101. Weird!!! Now i get a password error! the exact error can be seen in the attached .png image.

Can anyone help?!!
    can you explain this ip conflict? wondering if perhaps gthat has something to do with it. how can your phone be giving you the wrong ip address?

when i use the ip address that it shows me in the settings of 192.168.1.102 in i get a timed out error when using terminal. when i type in the address with .101 instead of .102 at the end terminal goes through the motions and i then get stuck at the password stage. Something is not quite right I think?

Can you shed any light on this issue?

Thanks

just want to make sure i have this right.

the ip address you're using, where did you get it? was it:

settings > wi-fi > your wif-fi network > dhcp > ip address listed on top line

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast