Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please. Someone. Help Me... I Have Lost Every Icon On My Iphone :(

Default Please. Someone. Help Me... I Have Lost Every Icon On My Iphone :(
    i have a unlocked iphone. i have installer on my iphone (i think i'm running 1.1.1 - i think). anway, i installed a program that will allow me to hide icons that i don't use, for some reason i have managed to hide everything on my iphone apart from my dock - phone, ipod, mail, internet. so i cannot access anything. apart from the dock, my phone is blank. i use a mac, and and i don't know what to do. i can't restore as my iphone as it will restore back to original phone...can anyone tell me what i can do please. any help really needed. please. thank you for your time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

what program did you install?

you should be able to just edit the m68ap.plist file (the new displayorder.plist) and bring them back to visible, out of the special section

maybe also uninstall whatever you installed (either via installer or manually by deleting the folder in the Applications directory)

a general guide for editing display order can be found in this wiki.. http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Dev..._1.1.1_Windows

although there may be a better guide/forum somewhere on here, but essentially its the same thing as bringing the contacts app up
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

i used a program called customised, or something like that ... but when i went about hiding them i must have done something wrong as i have hidden everything on my screen. sms, installer, genreal settings utube, etc.... everything is hidden. so i do not know how to get to installer, or applications, as i cannot access them because my icons have gone. i only have the dock icons. can anyone help please.....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to icklemoley For This Useful Post:

sergioakakobe (2007-11-13)

Yes, restore your phone or find someone local that can help you. I'm not being rude but it doesn't sound like you are capable of fixing the problem yourself.

...however... if you want to try...
    There are plenty of resources available on this site, start in the Guides section. You need to gain access to your phone through SSH or iPHUC. Both of these methods should work on your phone.

What version of iTunes do you have? The reason I ask is you could install Breezy (maybe) and then install a new app that could help you fix your phone.

Good luck

PS Why can't your restore, there are plenty of unlock/jailbreak methods for 1.1.1 phones now?
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 2007-10-30 at 03:46 AM.

do you have pincode on the sim. try to remove ur sim card pincode first.

Default Customize - problems
    Hi,

I got exactly the same problem with Customize - lost every icon, couldn't launch any apps or access the install-uninstall section - basicly my iPhone locked up. I used SSH to delete the Customize app from the iPhone but without success. What I did was I ran the restore process with iNdependence all over again and I now have a working iPhone - without the apps I installed before, naturally. I suggest you do the same and forget about Customize - as for a while. I bet they're working on it, but meanwhile I use Summerboard to mod and the iNdependence to mod and to add files and so on. So get the iNdependence and start working all over again..

-peter

Hey I am experiencing the same issue as Icklemoley and I've read different variations of this issue in/about the forums.

What exactly are my options at this point? Am I able to use Independence to restore my phone (as it was originally came 1.1.1 already) and then Jailbreak and Simunlock it again?

or am I basically screwed... Help would be most appreciated.

Install Dock 2.06 to be able to launch all of your installed apps regardless of whether the icon is hidden or not.

If you can use iNdependence you can simply replace this file and restart your phone.
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/M68AP.plist

Here's the default file for 1.1.1 phones that has "Installer app" on the home screen
    Link
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 2007-10-30 at 06:52 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyberGreg For This Useful Post:

hjel (2007-10-31), Rip (2007-11-07), Tanzer360 (2007-11-04)

Thanks Cybergreg:

Quick question
    Could you tell me how I could install the Dock option you cited as a download? Given that... I don't know my Iphone IP and I have no way of interacting with it now that I have no Apps on my screen.

Also, since my Iphone was 1.1.1 (out of box) and I've now unlocked/jailbroken it... can I still restore it (and then re-unlock and all that again) and if so, do I use iTunes or DFU (from Independence, and redowngrade, reupgrade, etc)

Smile thanks it worked perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
    Install Dock 2.06 to be able to launch all of your installed apps regardless of whether the icon is hidden or not.

If you can use iNdependence you can simply replace this file and restart your phone.

Here's the default file for 1.1.1 phones that has "Installer app" on the home screen
    Link
    i had the same problem and i used your file and it worked perfect

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alo717 View Post
    Thanks Cybergreg:

Quick question
    Could you tell me how I could install the Dock option you cited as a download? Given that... I don't know my Iphone IP and I have no way of interacting with it now that I have no Apps on my screen.

Also, since my Iphone was 1.1.1 (out of box) and I've now unlocked/jailbroken it... can I still restore it (and then re-unlock and all that again) and if so, do I use iTunes or DFU (from Independence, and redowngrade, reupgrade, etc)
    I don't know about the unlocking bit but you can certainly jailbreak again. Independence will allow you to install iphone applications. The easiest way to install Dock, is unfortunately through Installer as it's not a regular app.

Link

Glad I did a search and found this thread. I also used Customize and ended up hiding all but the default icons. I was so pissed at doing that knowing I could hide the Customize app if I wasn't careful but somehow that happened.

I was comtemplating restoring the phone with iTunes and going throught the jailbreak/unlock process again. Thank the gods I did a search first . I downloaded the M68AP.plist file as suggested, and since I'm using Windows, I used WinSCP to upload the file into my iphone. I rebooted the phone and had all my icons back.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Link
    Thanks a lot for this.

Oddly, I installed the file you linked to and t restored my cons to the way there were beofre I began re-ordering them, rather than to the default set!

So I was reading ur post... do u think u can help me? I was having soo much fun installing all this apps with installer and well i got to the part where i was trying to change the way the main screen looks and Dock... I made the mistake of choosing to have only 16 icons on the main list and 0 on the dock and what it did was to move the 4main ones on the bottom to the top and Installer disappeared and so other programs I had installed did 2!!! I certainly dont want to have to put my iphone to its factory condition cuz then Ill be loosing a lot of important stuff that i have and my computer will only sync adress book, music, pics (from pc) and videos but not my important files and other stuff and pics... YEA IM FRUSTRATED WOULD U PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! THANK U SO MUCH

Default get your icons back the simple way...
    Because I am not as computer literate as most of the folks on here, when I accidentally erased all of my icons by attempting to rearrange them using the "customize" application via jailbreakme, I found this simple solution:

1. Connect your iphone to itunes.
    2. Click "restore to factory settings" (don't worry, you will be able to restore the phone to it's pre-jailbreakme state, and then simply re-download jailbreakme.com and install whichever apps you want)
    3. When the process is complete, you will be asked if you would like to restore to your backup iphone settings (or something along those lines)
    4. Choose "yes," and you will be back to where you started before using jailbreakme.com

PROLOGUE:

5. After downloading on jailbreakme.com for the second time, I thought for a moment that the icons may still be gone, but thankfully, they remained in place...I am now putting the essentials back on:

JAILBREAKME.COM (APPsnapp is what you will be prompted to download) WORKS SO AMAZINGLY WELL, THAT I FIND THIS METHOD FASTER, AT LEAST FOR THE COMPUTER ILLITERATE.

PLEASE NOTE I AM WORKING ON WINDOWS, AND CANNOT VOUCH FOR SIMILAR RESULTS WITH A MAC

Hope this helps anyone who was just freaking out as much as I was
    Don't hate on jailbreakme.com just because of this one silly "customize" application bug.

Peace,

VACHZINE
    Last edited by vachzine; 2007-11-11 at 07:13 AM.

thank you so much for that but another question, if I do that it will erase all my pictures taken from the phone plus all my contacts right???

I beleive I am having this same problem. Using 1.1.1 iphone and today all of a sudden all of my icons dissapeared as well as my service bar.

Before this happened I disabled WIFI and SSH on my phone to extend battery life.

Is there ANY way I can connect to my iphone without SSH and replace/delete the files I need or am I screwed?

No idea what to do here.