Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ssh failure

Question ssh failure
    i am about to through my iphone in the BIN!!! no matter how many times i restore and start again from scratch i just cant get to SSH to my phone! it does not matter if i Terminal Fugu or cyberduck it times out and really p****s me off. Its a good job i am a patient man! but my patience is running thin. Can some kind and knowledgable person help me to get my iphone up and working? Please!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johncam View Post
    i am about to through my iphone in the BIN!!! no matter how many times i restore and start again from scratch i just cant get to SSH to my phone! it does not matter if i Terminal Fugu or cyberduck it times out and really p****s me off. Its a good job i am a patient man! but my patience is running thin. Can some kind and knowledgable person help me to get my iphone up and working? Please!
    Lots of people are running into exactly the same thing. They are trying, some with success, different methods to restore the function. One downgraded his baseband back to 1.0.2, another created an entirely new User ID on his Mac and re-installed under that ID. I have to think it's a simpler answer, but have yet to find it.

I had trouble connecting to winscp too until I played around with the settings. Try to turn Edge off. If you can't, go to install icon and install Services, that lets u turn Edge, Wifi, Bluetooth and SSH on and off faster.
    Now I can use winscp and putty with Edge off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vincent6396 View Post
    I had trouble connecting to winscp too until I played around with the settings. Try to turn Edge off. If you can't, go to install icon and install Services, that lets u turn Edge, Wifi, Bluetooth and SSH on and off faster.
    Now I can use winscp and putty with Edge off.
    Doesn't work for me. This is nuts, why does making changes to seemingly unrelated systems work for different people. I'm beginning to think 1.1.1 is alot more buggy than I originally anticipated.

i am running on a mac intel dual processor and just cant get ssh to work. Whatever i try ssh using all the various methods it just does not connect. Is there a way of sorting the iphone without ssh? surely this should not be so complicated, why have mac made life so bloody difficult! I have owned macs for many years and cant understand why they have been so wrong in limiting the providers for there fab iphone. Surely selling the phone and letting us as individuals choose the network we prefer is the best way to go!!! We will still buy the phone because its a mac! We are mac addicts, well I am any way and p****d because i cant use it. My iphone might as well be an ipod!!

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

A little more information please? What specifically is occurring?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Smile ssh issue
    After restoring my iphone to 1.0.2 firmware, then installing apptapp then activate using independence then jailbreaking, I then hit the problem of not being able to SSH using cyberduck or another of the applications recommended. It gives me a timed out error.

I have tried many times with no result

I would really appreciate any help, and try whatever.

Cheers

did you try installing openSSH or use the SSH installer in independence?

Default ssh issue
    i have uploaded a screen shot of the error message.

I/O Error: Connection failed
    sftp://root 192.168. etc...:22
    the kex timeout (30000ms) expired
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -timeout.png  

i have tried using just the independence ssh, i have tried using the openssh, and had no luck with either. Am I correct in that it wont work with both independence and open ssh?

John Cam I had the same problem sort of. my understanding is that you have installed installer. try to install an app called services app it lets you turn edge, wifi, and ssh on the fly or off. then turn it one and see that it is on and click the home button to get to the springboard and click the service again to make sure it is still on. plus just as a reminder you need to make sure you're trying to connect via sftp not ftp it's selectable. let me know how it goes

12. The Following User Says Thank You to catmando For This Useful Post:

centurionone (2007-12-01)

thanks i will give this ago and let you know the results.

I had some trouble with SHH ...

The short version is that I re-virginised, updated, activated and jailbroke without clearing out or resetting my 1.0.2 iUnlocked iPhone. This required that I install SSH from Independence *on top of* my existing OpenSSH install. While this worked as far as upgrading, and I did remove and re-install SSH again later, the whole phone was erratic both operationally and SSH connectivity wise. Then I started having SSL problems with iTunes ...

In the end, I ditched all the third party stuff, downgraded to 1.0.2, reset the phone completely and essentially followed poetic_folly's guide from step 2 on. This time, it's been rock solid - with regards to SSH, I only installed the version in Independence.

As far as things that can go wrong with SHH and iPhones that I've seen:

1-Duplicate installs - running OpenSSH and SSH from Independence at the same time doesn't work out. In my case I had two sshd (daemons) running - which one I connected to was a crap shoot. I went back and uninstalled the Independence one, and then figured out how to convince installer app to ignore what it thought was installed, and just overwrite a new OpenSSH.

In the end, although I had only OpenSSH running, it was not running reliably.

2-BSD Subsystem - adding and removing SSH will require the BSD subsystem to be reinstalled. The symptom of that is either SSH not working or seeing the 3.2sh# prompt when terminal connects.

3-The known hosts file, which on OS X is in an invisible folder here:

/Users/yourname/.ssh/known_hosts

This file can get out of sync and, while it can be edited or removed, doing so often causes connectivity problems. Simply, you connect once from an IP/Host, and it records the IP and Key. Next time that host connects from that IP, it wants to use that key again - which is fine if you haven't modified anything. Start changing both SSH and the known hosts file and you can chase your tail trying to connect for some time.

You may want to consider reading poetic_folly's addition to step 1 of the OS X guide (if that's the method you've used), which adds in the step ("Step 3 actually") of resetting the iPhone and reloading a clean 1.0.2 before doing the upgrades and activations.

Following his guide with a clean iPhone made quite a difference for me.

The services app works fine and shows that SSH is on but I still have the same problem trying to connect via SSH. Would it be anything to do with my service provider? I have checked my firewall settings and my ip address is correct but still no joy!! Very frustrating. Thanks again for trying to help.

I am having the exact same problem, still can't figure it out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johncam View Post
    After restoring my iphone to 1.0.2 firmware, then installing apptapp then activate using independence then jailbreaking, I then hit the problem of not being able to SSH using cyberduck or another of the applications recommended. It gives me a timed out error.
    Cheers
    The first time you install SSH, you should always use SSH in the command line to log into the phone, this allows it to generate a pairing key. Takes about 30 to 50 seconds. Once that's done, you can use any method you like.

Trying to connect (the first time) with Cyberduck, Transmit, or whatever won't properly do this.

I've solved my dilemma, after a bunch of hair pulling I started over. I'm not going to say this is an absolute, but it worked for me for 1.1.1. (and this is for OSX, but you windows guys can figure it out)

After jailbreaking, do not install SSH from independence.

1. Quit independence.
    2. Right-click on AppTapp Installer and select "Show Package Contents".
    3. Go to Content -> Resources, and pluck out Installer.app
    4. Using Ifuntastic, put Installer.app in /Applications on the iPhone
    5. Reboot the iPhone
    6. Run Installer and first install BSD Subsystem (1.5) and then OpenSSH
    7. Once installed open up a Terminal window, which will put you in your home folder
    8. type: cd .ssh
    9. type: rm *
    10. type: ssh -l root [iphones ip] and let it generate the pairing key
    11. There is no step 11.

Where I went wrong was listening to someone who said you have to use BSD 2.0 with firmware 1.1.1, and install SSHify.

With these steps I can now, SSH into my phone, use an SFTP client and use VT100 on the iphone itself, without any problems.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2007-10-27 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

johncam (2007-10-27)

Eurisko thank you for this, I have done all the steps that you mentioned and when i get to using the terminal commands i get timed out!!! so still no luck. My iphone is now freshly restored with the new Installer and with BSD, openSSH and community sources installed, but still i cannot ssh to it hence i cant virginize to unlock to get the phone function up and running again. What next I wonder?! thanks again for all your help so far.

ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.102 port 22: Operation timed out
    Yearbook-MacBookPro:~/.ssh jc$

This is the terminal line i get after about 1 min
    Last edited by johncam; 2007-10-27 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone NVMY4N's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    The first time you install SSH, you should always use SSH in the command line to log into the phone, this allows it to generate a pairing key. Takes about 30 to 50 seconds. Once that's done, you can use any method you like.

Trying to connect (the first time) with Cyberduck, Transmit, or whatever won't properly do this.

I've solved my dilemma, after a bunch of hair pulling I started over. I'm not going to say this is an absolute, but it worked for me for 1.1.1. (and this is for OSX, but you windows guys can figure it out)

After jailbreaking, do not install SSH from independence.

1. Quit independence.
    2. Right-click on AppTapp Installer and select "Show Package Contents".
    3. Go to Content -> Resources, and pluck out Installer.app
    4. Using Ifuntastic, put Installer.app in /Applications on the iPhone
    5. Reboot the iPhone
    6. Run Installer and first install BSD Subsystem (1.5) and then OpenSSH
    7. Once installed open up a Terminal window, which will put you in your home folder
    8. type: cd .ssh
    9. type: rm *
    10. type: ssh -l root [iphones ip] and let it generate the pairing key
    11. There is no step 11.

Where I went wrong was listening to someone who said you have to use BSD 2.0 with firmware 1.1.1, and install SSHify.

With these steps I can now, SSH into my phone, use an SFTP client and use VT100 on the iphone itself, without any problems.
    so I open Terminal on the iMac or vt100? Im assuming iMac, since vt100 gives me an error.
    This is dumb so prepare yourself - do I do this wirelessly or do I connect it to the computer
    Last edited by NVMY4N; 2007-10-27 at 07:05 PM.

Transformers Movie Sound Pack for your iPhone-HERE

"300" Movie Sound Pack for your iPhone-HERE

If you are helped, use the button. It's a much better stat than a post count.

Thank you!!! This should def. be bumped, it helped me 100%. (Do the terminal thing after installing ssh and bsd from installer.app)

can some1 please tell me what SSH is and what it does??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast