Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iMac will not boot...stuck on grey screen with question mark folder

Exclamation iMac will not boot...stuck on grey screen with question mark folder
    Hello all, I've been having an issue with my iMac ever since I put Windows 7 on a boot camp partition (BAD IDEA). I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 I believe. Since today when I restart my computer I've had to hold the option key down to bring up the two operating systems. If I didn't do this it would show me the grey question mark folder. The problem now is, when I hold down the option key during boot up it just shows me the mouse cursor, but never brings up the two HDD images to try and boot from. I have tried to reset the PRAM multiple times with no success.

What can I do? I would like to get some files off it before I do a clean wipe and get rid of Windows. Should I use the Snow Leopard install disc to do some sort of repair? I don't have my disc anymore and would have to borrow one from a friend. Please help.

Thank you!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would first start up from the 10.6 installer disc and repair permissions. If that doesn't work. Use Disk Warrior. Boot from it and rebuild the directory. If that does not work put head in hands and cry.

ok guys here is a little update as of what's going on:

Last night, since I couldnt do ANYTHING with my iMac I decided to get dirty and take her apart. Everything went smoothly and I got to the hard drive and extracted it. I took the HDD to a friends house with a few extra SATA ports on his PC. We plugged it in and booted up his Computer (He has MacDrive 8 installed). But when my HDD was plugged into his PC, it wouldn't boot up. It was stuck on the main black screen showing him all the drives that were loading on his machine and mine was the last one it was getting stuck on. It was not showing up.

Now my next question is what can I do next? I need to get some files off this thing before I either wipe it clean somehow or get a new one. Should I find someone with a MacPro that I can put it in and try to run a disk repair on it?

Also, Where can I buy a new Mac HDD similar to this one to put back in the iMac? I also want to buy a new Superdrive...is there a online retailer that sells Mac parts seperate?

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks

well...all u had to do really is boot up holding the option key and select your harddrive....all it is , is probably u did something with bootcamp or something and the computer doesnt kno what drive to boot from...but booting up like i said holding down the option key b4 u turn it on lets u select what drive to boot from

then u can run a disk repair
    Last edited by z3r01; 2010-05-04 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I already tried that...it did nothing. All it did was bring up a mouse cursor and nothing else. I tried it multiple times with no luck

Thanks

ouch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Are you able to even get into OSX? If so have OSX verify startup drive. I can't think off the top of my head where it is located at the moment cause I am not on my Mac or around it.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

If that doesn't work, you'll have to reinstall Snow Leopard. If you use Boot Camp for the first time, that's a bad idea since you don't have the update-to-date version that is Windows 7 compatible. So next time, use XP or Vista, update Boot Camp on Windows, and then install Windows 7.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!