Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bes time to buy a new macbook?

Default Bes time to buy a new macbook?
    Am looking to but the new titanium mac book (the cheaper one) in about 2-3 months.

I am not going to buy it before about 2 months from now and was wondering if it is worth waiting longer than that to the summer for the next one to come out or the price to come down....?

Is there any speculation regarding a possible price drop in the macbooks anytime?

Ty

Thanks

Titanium =! Aluminum...

No speculation as to a price drop; make sure to use the student discount if there's any way you can. Not sure when a new one would be released; maybe in June, but I haven't heard anything...
    Respect your elders.

Thanks

look:

Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

its due a refresh in the summer by the looks of it, but with the news of new product launches, snow leopard, the fact that the aluminium was such a massive upgrade etc etc. i wouldnt be surprised if we see no upgrade on the macbook until the end of the year/early next year.

however, if you go out and buy one, then they release a new one, you can sell your one for not far off what you originally paid and then pay a tad extra to buy the new one. Apple products, although expensive, hold their value extremely well.

The old powerbooks are still selling on ebay for the price of an average laptop.

And +1 on the student discount, i used my friends and got %75 off the apple care + around 200+ off the rest of the package.

I also originally bought the 2.0 aluminium macbook, but returned it and paid the extra for the illuminous keyboard - it really is worth the upgrade alone i feel.

And if you get upgraded ram at point of sale it is cheaper than after the macbooks used because you trade in the band new ram thats already in the machine.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

4. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (2009-05-30)

Thanks

Now is the best time. I purchased a white macbook and macbook air recently.Last year it was a powerbook 17 that i am using right now. Prices are great so don't hesitate.

I would reccommend the student discount. Im waiting for that and/or a refresh...

Hi all, i have plan to buy macbook 13 but i still have a few guestion, can anyone tell me?
    1) is that true that i don't need anti virus for apple mac?
    2) i have printer (HP) can i connect easyly to macbook?
    is that macbook beter that windows?
    thanks before

^Anti-virus isnt as needed as with Windows. Yes your printer will work.

Mac vs PC is a personal preference. I like Mac much better, but others will argue against.

Thanks

Hi, if you buy a Macbook you will be able to run Windows on a partition of the Harddrive and OSX on the other side. The issue with this are you willing to pay for the 1299 Mac to run Windows on partition OR are you willing to pay less to run Windows on a 499 laptop. OSX word processor is Text Edit which is not compatible with Microsoft so you would have to buy Microsoft Office 08 for Mac for additional 75-150 which is an emulator for compatibility for Windows program Suite. My opinion is that OSX corners the market for stability and reliability thats what Apple has going for it and worth every penny.

Thanks

^Not really...

They corner the market for ease of use, specific capbilities, innovation and trendiness, as they have since day 1. When used properly, Windows/other machines are just as stable and reliable as any computer, it just takes a little more work to make them so.
    Respect your elders.

Bump. I'm also curious as to whether now is a good time.I need a new laptop, and so far the new MacBook has been my best option.

Also, does anyone have any experience buying refurbished macbooks?

Thanks in advance

my opinion >> I would not to buy the refurbished one. Spend the few extra dollars and get a brand new one. I wouldn't wait either, if your waiting for the next best thing, you'll always be waiting. Apple has something new around every corner.

True; Apple is always updating...I'd just hate to get one now and there be a new one in a couple months. Although I haven't read anything about a new one coming anytime soon.

Thanks for the advice, would you recommend getting the apple care plan? It runs at $218...that's a pretty penny, but it is worth it?

Thanks

I would highly recommend finding a friend or making a friend who is entitled to the student discount.

Apple care becomes around 75% cheaper when using a student discount and the machine itself will be discounted to not far off refurbed prices aswell, saving allot of $$$

I would also recommend just buying one now. The current machines are good for snow leopard and that is the major update for the next year or so so go for it.

Was randomly looking at powerbooks earlier. They are going on ebay in the UK for over 400 - powerbooks were released in 2002?! How many 7 year old PC laptops would be worth so much nowadays?!

And the guy with the whole microsoft office thing. You dont need a seperate partition on your hard drive. You can run windows alongside os x using parallels and use any of your favourite windows programmes. Or you could use the microsoft office suite for os x, or pages which also has office compatibility.

Text edit is the equivelant of windows notepad, nothing more.

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would wait about a month if I was going to buy a new mac.
    Well that is assuming that this year will be like the past two years where they give a free 200$ ipod and free 100$ printer on top of the student discount that you can get.
    If you already have an ipod you just sell it brand now for like 25$ cheaper than what it cost in the store and you still make a good amount of money.

Thanks

If your looking for a Macbook then a refurb is fine and get Apple Care along with it.Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    I would highly recommend finding a friend or making a friend who is entitled to the student discount.

Apple care becomes around 75% cheaper when using a student discount and the machine itself will be discounted to not far off refurbed prices aswell, saving allot of $$$

I would also recommend just buying one now. The current machines are good for snow leopard and that is the major update for the next year or so so go for it.

Was randomly looking at powerbooks earlier. They are going on ebay in the UK for over 400 - powerbooks were released in 2002?! How many 7 year old PC laptops would be worth so much nowadays?!

And the guy with the whole microsoft office thing. You dont need a seperate partition on your hard drive. You can run windows alongside os x using parallels and use any of your favourite windows programmes. Or you could use the microsoft office suite for os x, or pages which also has office compatibility.

Text edit is the equivelant of windows notepad, nothing more.
    Thanks for the advice, man. I'm actually in University, and WITH my educational discount, the apple care plan is $218. Without it, it's $299...that's why I'm trying to see if it's worth the money since it's such a considerable cost.

Thanks

The Universities have a tiered discount system, some get more than others.

My friend goes to Uni and he came in store with me and we used his student card for my purchase - i got 75% off of Apple Care, was 200 i paid 50.

Suck it up, Sucker

Just a little update with this thread; if you check the iPod News forum, you will see that cash got a tip that the Back to School Sale (June through August) will be an 8 GB iPod Touch and a $100 Canon printer given away for the sale. Just a rumor, but June is quickly approaching...

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

you do get a touch,for free but its a rebate,I was just there,hoping to be a proud owner of the white macbook...
    The plan is to learn obj-c and cocca.I have some solid ideas for some apps,and I;m going to give it a go...
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

There have been a few Macbook/MBP rumors for WWDC. Wait till the keynote is over and then make your decision...