Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Choosing a SSD for my MacBook Pro need help.

Default Choosing a SSD for my MacBook Pro need help.
    Ok here are the links to the final 2 I have to choose from the only difference I can see is price and random Write speed. Let me know which you would choose for your MacBook pro and why thank you. I also decided to go with the OCZ company they have good warranties and good prices per gig and read/write speeds.
    OCZ Onyx 2:
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/sata-ii/2-5--sata-ii/mainstream-solid-state-drives/ocz-onyx-2-series-sata-ii-2-5--ssd.html
    OCZ Vertez 2:
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/sata-ii/2-5--sata-ii/performance-enterprise-solid-state-drives/ocz-vertex-2-sata-ii-2-5--ssd.html

Thanks

What do you use your Mac for? Let's answer that first before deciding which drive suits you.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

I think you've done a really good research as you have come up with the only solution (currently) for Mac based computers: SandForce driven SSD
    Mac OS is still (!) not supporting TRIM, what a bumper; so only SandForce technology is appropriate at the moment.

From Anandtech (it is in almost all his SSD review summaries):
    "I often get questions from Mac users asking what the best SSD is for OS X. Since Apple still won’t support TRIM you need a very resilient drive under OS X. That path leads you to SandForce. Pick up a Corsair Force, OCZ Vertex 2, G.Skill Phoenix or whatever SF drive tickles your fancy if you want the best of the best in your Mac."

Concerning Onyx 2 and Vertex 2, I will go with the Vertex 2 as the price difference is minimal. The only differences are firmware, cheaper nand and shorter warranty for the Onyx 2.
    You can check the discussion thread on OCZ forum:
    Technical Discussion OCZ Onyx 2 vs Vertex 2