Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Getting Macbook pro need some help

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Getting Macbook pro need some help
    Ok so to start I have never used any computer other than windows xp/7

So can somebody give me general ideas such as:
    -How to create folders xD
    -How to reorganize the bottom dock
    -Oh and if I want to download Java,flash and those important stuff do they work on mac??? Cuz I dunno if flash works on mac or java lol.
    -How to turn it off xD
    Most of them will be solved when I get it but right now im just very curious
    -Any other tips are welcome

P.S. does any mouse work with the laptop or do I have to get the apple mouse (the one w/no buttons)

Thank you in advance.

Thanks

Welcome to the Mac World.

-Creating folders is the same thing as Windows. Right - click and click New folder.
    -To reorganize icons on the dock, click, hold, and drag one of the icons and place in a new location. You can remove or add applications and folders to the dock.
    -Java and Flash are available for Mac. However, Flash performs crappy with some flash videos to due Adobe's lazy coding. Java works fine.
    Click on the Apple icon on the top-left and click Shut down. The MBP comes with a Power button to turn on/off.
    -All mice should work with this Apple product.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Dude i think im really messed those stuff on my desktop such as firefox, how do i move them or delete them cuz i already downloaded firefox vlc etc.

It only tells me eject D= and i cant copy or cut them

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

OSX apps are downloaded as .dmg files. These are mounted as drives. Take the app that is within them and put them where you want. Say put firefox in your applications folder. If you want to "uninstall" an app just put it in the trash. After you have drag and dropped the app in the application folder just eject the dmg that the app was downloaded as.

If i am way off I am sorry but I can't see the image you posted because I am on a corp internet and it blocks a lot of image hosting sites.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

1.Nice man I got it, but now there is another big problem for me... As far as I know I don't think Daemon tools works for mac, so I have 2 files .cue and .bin and I can not open these I saw Toast 10 but it is far too expensive and I downloaded Burn which burns files on CD, but before I burn my files I just want to know is there an application that can open them such as daemon tools.

And I don't have boot camp cuz im too afraid of messing it up

2.My mac came with 2 CDS one is application and another is installer I think, do you know what they are for???

Thanks

The Installer Disc is used to install Mac OS X, restore backup data, repair disk, reset passwords, and much more. Application Disc is used to install iLife applications.

I use Stuffit Expander to open .cue and .bin files. It's free.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

I suggest getting littlesnitch too; well worth the cost. For some reason every time you want to open something with stuffit it wants to send info back to base.

Littlesnitch is annoy at first but eventually you get it fine tuned.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

I also just got a MacBook Pro so all of this is new to me as well because all of my life (except for when I was 4 years old when we had a mac at my house which was around 1986 but I think it my dad got it in 1984 because CPU'S were hell'a expensive back then) I have used a windows based system. So I'm in the same boat as you.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

Thanks

Lol i never knew that apple was even made before 2000 xD

@Cerote, man I wish I can get paid stuff but I cant, I already bought iPad and Macbook pro this summer I think my parents have had enough

So anyone know how to install Boot camp???

ok, get your windows install disk. Then go to spotlight search (the magnifier in the upper right) and type "boot camp" and the click on the boot camp assistant icon. Follow the simple steps and you're golden!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -help-you.jpg  

also I would install clicktoflash in safari. makes browsing much better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    ok, get your windows install disk. Then go to spotlight search (the magnifier in the upper right) and type "boot camp" and the click on the boot camp assistant icon. Follow the simple steps and you're golden!
    You could just go to Applications > Utilities then click on Boot Camp Assistant.

You may want to print out the Boot Camp Instructions.

I wanted to get him actuated with the great search features of OS X as well. Get netnewswire if you like RSS feeds as well.

And about the mouse, I use this one and really like it http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-p...e/devices/5743 you can even program the extra buttons to do OS X things like exposé and spaces, dashboard, and other things.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 2010-07-23 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks

Yeah, you may want a mouse especially for Mac gaming and Bootcamp.

The mouse I have is Logitech® Bluetooth® MX™ Revolution Laser Mouse from the Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution.

Thanks

Thanks all I think I understand ALMOST everything except something so complicated and hard that I think in my 1000 years left I will never understand. Its:

WTF is an expose and spaces and wtf do they do and how do I set them up?

I <3 pictures it explains more so post pics about those I want to see what spaces would change and wtf is an expose or however you spell that.

Thanks

Expose allows to view all windows of running applications. You can configure the keys to view what type of window while in Expose & Spaces. Active Screen corners allow you to move your cursor to a assigned corner of the screen and active Expose & Spaces. Spaces organizes your windows in groups for Expose. You can add more groups and assign applications to the group you want to be in. You can configure them in System Preferences.

Here's a picture during Expose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -screen-shot-2010-07-25-12.39.01-am.png  

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^^^^^ In addition to what iPod noted, for the expose, you can assign either the top left/right or bottom left/right to certain actions when placing your cursor in those corners. For example, I have my MBP set in Expose for the bottom left corner to show my desktop when the cursor is placed in the bottom left corner and I have my bottom right corner to show existing open programs/pages when I move my cursor to the bottom right corner.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

since you have a MBP, you should try putting 4 fingers on the trackpad and sliding them up (you should see a clean desktop) then do it again to return to where you were. Then slide them down to get a view of all the open windows.

Thanks

You can also use F3 (Fn + F3 if Feature key has been configured differently), F9, F10, F11 (Fn + F9/10/11 if Feature key has been configured differently) to access Expose & Spaces. Like Tiger92 said, you can access them by sliding 4 fingers down on the touchpad. To see the desktop, slide 4 fingers up while not in Expose & Spaces.

Thanks

Thanks all very helpful tips =]

Now just a question, do you guys plug in your charger while playing?

I do that everytime but would that mess up the battery and makes it lower? (E.G. from 10 hours to 8 hours)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast