Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MacBook Air Hard drive failing and need to get information backed up quickly!

Default MacBook Air Hard drive failing and need to get information backed up quickly!
    I have a friend that asked me to extract data off a Macbook Air hard drive. She spilled juice on the laptop and it stopped working. I took the hard drive out and bought an external enclosure to attach it via USB to another mac computer. Unfortunately it seems like the drive is failing. It is only sometimes showing up as a mounted drive, but is always showing up in disk utility. When I tried to verify and repair the drive using disk utility it failed. She mainly wants me to get the Iphoto library off the drive. When I copy the Iphoto library it gets half way through and gives me error code 36. When I use disk drill to try back up all the files as an image it does not get through and stops. Any suggestions to get these files backed up before this drive completely fails. Thanks.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll be honest. At this point you're playing with fire. Playing too much with a failing drive can cause more issues if you don't know what you're doing, at least in my experience. I would recommend taking it to a computer repair place, especially if you have one that focuses in memory restoration. It's not the most cost effective option, and probably not what you're going for, but if those files are really important that's what I'd do.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (2015-04-20)

Luckily I was able to get the drive to mount and copied all of the data off it before it finally fails. Thanks SpidermanAPV for your response.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cap2587 For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2015-04-20)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cap2587 View Post
    Luckily I was able to get the drive to mount and copied all of the data off it before it finally fails. Thanks SpidermanAPV for your response.
    Glad to be of help and glad you didn't need to shell out the big bucks!

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!