Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Not Allowing Felons to Work on Campus 2

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Apple Not Allowing Felons to Work on Campus 2

Apple is facing criticism today in the wake of news that it is strictly prohibiting convicted felons from working on its Campus 2 -- the famous so-called Spaceship Campus.

Although Apple isn't the only major corporation to institute a no-felon policy, Apple is certainly take more heat than most.

“There are certain positions where there is some nexus between the crime committed and the position offered. Construction does not appear to be one of those,” State Sen. Mark Leno of San Francisco is quoted today by SFGate. “In this situation, I would strongly suggest that this policy be changed.”

Various Union leaders cited in the report claim that a number of construction workers have lost their jobs at the Apple construction site due to Apple's somewhat controversial policy, a policy that Senator Leno calls “equally surprising and disturbing.”

For now, Apple isn't offering formal comment and won't say if a policy change is being considered.

Source: SFGate

Sounds like Apple bigotry/discrimination to me. Maybe Mr. Cook needs some education in tolerance? He demands tolerance from others when it comes to his proclivities, but I guess tolerance is a one way street?
    Last edited by exNavy; 2015-04-08 at 01:08 AM.
    Hmm...

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

If they don't want criminals working at there building site then so be it. I don't see the problem. The government restricts felons in many ways but they want to point fingers at Apple? If you choose to commit crimes you must live with the consequences.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

Broomhead (2015-04-08)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    If they don't want criminals working at there building site then so be it. I don't see the problem. The government restricts felons in many ways but they want to point fingers at Apple? If you choose to commit crimes you must live with the consequences.
    I'm with you for the most part, but I have to admit that I'm with exnavy on the point that it seems oddly discriminatory for a company becoming known lately as promoting equality and anti-discriminatory.

While I can see not allowing felons some positions, construction is pretty safe in regards to the danger of hiring a felon. Felons are people just as much as anyone else, they just happen to have made poor decisions. Why not provide them with a job and help support a human being with as much right to make a living as anyone else.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Sounds like Apple bigotry/discrimination to me. Maybe Mr. Cook needs some education in tolerance? He demands tolerance from others when it comes to his proclivities, but I guess tolerance is a one way street?
    Well said. There are many ways to be convicted of a felony. Steve Jobs famously used LSD, that's a felony.
    Last edited by kraziebone; 2015-04-08 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I'm with you for the most part, but I have to admit that I'm with exnavy on the point that it seems oddly discriminatory for a company becoming known lately as promoting equality and anti-discriminatory.

While I can see not allowing felons some positions, construction is pretty safe in regards to the danger of hiring a felon. Felons are people just as much as anyone else, they just happen to have made poor decisions. Why not provide them with a job and help support a human being with as much right to make a living as anyone else.
    Nice thoughts there SpidermanAPV... my only response... is if any of you know Apple well enough, "Apple Privacy" is key. I can only wonder if preventing Felons from working on the Apple 2 campus is to prevent any known plans for the building from leaking to an unsafe avenue thru a felon. Not saying they're the only people that might have that knowledge, and definitely no need to jump to conclusions and say felons will endanger Apple but i can see why maybe Apple doesn't want a felon knowing all the details of the buildings construction/ Layout. That's insider stuff.. It does seem slightly prejudiced... but with Apple being such a 'god-like' consumer/ tech entity almost bigger than the gov't (definitely in terms of revenue)....... this part doesn't surprise me. Technology should be secure. and private. and even Apple would want this for HQ... just my thoughts.... ? signing off