Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Boot Camp Assistant No Longer Supports Windows 7 on the New MacBook & MacBook Pro

Default Boot Camp Assistant No Longer Supports Windows 7 in the New MacBook & MacBook Pro

Boot Camp Assistant, the tool that comes on Macs to allow you to install Windows as a dual-boot operating system at start-up, has received some limiting changes in the latest version of the software that comes bundled with the new 2015 MacBooks and MacBook Pros that will have some second-guessing their choice to purchase the machines.

Apple's online support page, as first spotted by 9to5Mac shows via charts that Windows 7 is no longer supported and that Boot Camp Assistant on these new notebooks will only work for installations of Windows 8 and later.

This is upsetting news for many, as Windows 7 is still a very widely-used operating system. Windows 8 was largely disliked due to the changes to the start menu that make the operating system more tablet-friendly than desktop friendly, and although Microsoft tried their best to make Windows 8's start menu better in Windows 8.1, many still prefer the Windows 7 layout. Windows 10, Microsoft's next major update for Windows, helps improve the Start Menu further for users.

That's not to say that you can't run Windows 7 on these machines at all, however. Just because Boot Camp Assistant won't support Windows 7, doesn't mean you can't run a virtual machine via VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop. These are popular solutions to running other operating systems on Mac computers and work relatively well for multiple-operating system needs.

Sources: Apple via 9to5Mac

The real problem here is that I and others fully intended to use our Windows 7 license to install the free update to Windows 10. This totally screws up that idea.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Apple have to go out of their way to make Windows 7 not work? I mean there isn't much difference in the installers or even the core OS (7 = NT Kernel 6.1, where as 8 is 6.2, and 8.1 is 6.3, and also 10 is 6.4.) In other words each release is a service pack on steroids that also includes cosmetics updates.

My guess is that they will no longer provide official drivers for Windows 7 and earlier. But even that shouldn't really be a road block as most drivers out there for Windows 7 and 8 are identical in my experience.

I really don't get why Apple has to keep pushing this ideology that taking away options is some how a good things, that they alone should decide what is best for all...

It makes sense in part because Windows 8 and later are the only of the Windows operating systems that support the retina display resolution and Apple is trying to do away with legacy so users stay up to date.

It's only the MacBook and Pro. I can understand some people being irked.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Apple have to go out of their way to make Windows 7 not work? I mean there isn't much difference in the installers or even the core OS (7 = NT Kernel 6.1, where as 8 is 6.2, and 8.1 is 6.3, and also 10 is 6.4.) In other words each release is a service pack on steroids that also includes cosmetics updates.

My guess is that they will no longer provide official drivers for Windows 7 and earlier. But even that shouldn't really be a road block as most drivers out there for Windows 7 and 8 are identical in my experience.

I really don't get why Apple has to keep pushing this ideology that taking away options is some how a good things, that they alone should decide what is best for all...

Windows 8 is actually fairly stable, I use it instead of 8.1, I got the media center upgrade for 10 bucks, it's 100 bucks for 8.1. But if windows eight will run in a MacBook Pro, it is most likely Windows 7 will continue to run even without official drivers, you might even be able to use Windows 8 drivers for some of it if you install them manually, you can take the appropriate driver out of the Boot Camp driver package and install it singularly. You can also use the Windows update and that usually finds all of the necessary drivers for the device as well

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    The real problem here is that I and others fully intended to use our Windows 7 license to install the free update to Windows 10. This totally screws up that idea.
    You don't need Bootcamp to install Windows on a Mac. It just makes it easier.

You can manually install the OS and drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It makes sense in part because Windows 8 and later are the only of the Windows operating systems that support the retina display resolution and Apple is trying to do away with legacy so users stay up to date.
    What? Every version of Windows supports any resolution the drivers support. I had a windows XP machine hooked to a 4k TV dith a good nvidia card.