Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Yahoo Announces Password-Free Logins and Technology for Encrypted Emails

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Yahoo Announces Password-Free Logins and Technology for Encrypted Emails

Yahoo recently announced its view on the future of password security by sharing news of a service that removes the password altogether. The company plans to deliver a one-time key every time a user needs to log in to their account with a “send my password” button displayed instead of the password text box, all of which comes in the form of an on-demand service. The search giant detailed instructions on how you can turn the service on, which has now been made available to US customers. The company outlined the following steps for the matter:

1) Sign in to your Yahoo.com account.
    2) Click on your name at the top right corner to go to your account information page.
    3) Select "Security" in the left bar.
    4) Click on the slider for "On-demand passwords" to opt-in.
    5) Enter your phone number and Yahoo will send you a verification code.
    6) Enter the code and voila!
    For those of you didn’t know, Yahoo isn’t the only tech company that is looking to simplify the account sign-in process. Twitter is presumably launching a Digits service that will allow users to log in to their accounts via a unique code which will be sent to the phone number associated with their accounts.

Yahoo also ended up showcasing an end-to-end encryption plugin which is being developed for Yahoo Mail in collaboration with Google. The whole purpose of this is to make the experience more user-friendly. As of right now, the encryption service hasn’t been made available to users. The company plans to launch it sometime before the end of this year but hasn’t given any specific date so we’ll just have to wait and see.

What do you think of the approach to passwords? Share your thoughts below!

Source: Yahoo (Tumblr) via iMore, The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Default Good and not Good!
    This is good and not good. How about I am oversea, , or I am in a building where I dont have phone service therefore I cannot receive text messages, but I need to read an email?

Thanks

This isn't simpler at all unless you forget your password all the time.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I much prefer Google's two factor authentication. However, a native email encryption solution would be amazing. I just hope they use something open-source and not proprietary so we know there aren't any back doors.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!