Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chinese Government Seizes the Advancement of a Proposed Anti-Terror Legislation

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Chinese Government Seizes the Advancement of a Proposed Anti-Terror Legislation

China’s central government recently seized the advancement of a proposed anti-terror legislation that would have forced technology companies doing business in the country to do the following: install backdoors in their products that the government could access, provide keys for any encrypted communications services and require data for Chinese users to remain in China. The White House Cybersecurity Coordinator, Michael Daniel, said the following regarding the matter earlier this week:

They have decided to suspend the third reading of that particular law, which has sort of put that on hiatus for the moment. We did see that as something that was bad not just for U.S. business but for the global economy as a whole, and it was something we felt was very important to communicate very clearly to them.
    Had China pressed forward on the matter, it could have put Apple in an impossible position since its one of Apple’s most important markets but CEO Tim Cook has firmly opposed any attempts to violate the privacy of Apple’s customers. Although there are “rumors of us keeping backdoors and providing data to third parties” Cook said to have told Chinese internet regulator, Lu Wei, that the company has “never had any backdoors and never will.” Furthermore, Cook maintained his statement firmly at the White House’s Summit on Cybersecurity and Consumer Protection held last month at Stanford University. He had the following to say regarding the matter:

If those of us in positions of responsibility fail to do everything in our power to protect the right of privacy, we risk something far more valuable than money. We risk our way of life. [Personal privacy is especially important] "in a world in which that information can make the difference between life and death.
    Despite China’s change of plans regarding the matter, a similar set of Chinese government regulations that was aimed at companies competing for large-scale infrastructure projects continues to remain intact. These guidelines call not only for backdoors but even go as far as the Chinese government requesting that companies who sell their software or hardware are required to turn over their source code that would have to be reviewed prior to any acceptance.

It looks like Apple was able to dodge a rough situation in this case.

Source: Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

...the company has 'never had any backdoors and never will.'
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out; whether the Chinese government will back down, or whether Apple will be forced to change their mind on the backdoor issue in order to continue to do business in "one of Apple's most important markets."

"Despite China’s change of plans regarding the matter...It looks like Apple was able to dodge a rough situation in this case."
    This was how it was played out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfzio View Post
    "Despite China’s change of plans regarding the matter...It looks like Apple was able to dodge a rough situation in this case."
    This was how it was played out.
    Yes, I read that part of the article. But there was another relevant point made, noting the stay may be temporary:

They have decided to suspend the third reading of that particular law, which has sort of put that on hiatus for the moment.
    (emphasis added)

Meaning, the Chinese government may decide to revisit the issue; and if their eventual decision is that backdoors must be present, it could have a substantially negative effect on Apple: Either the company will have to comply, and make a liar of Tim, or they will not and bow out of the Chinese market. That was the point I was trying to make.

With any luck, the White House will be able to influence the government in favor of Apple and other U.S. companies who do business in China now.

Quote Originally Posted by pulsecub View Post

With any luck, the White House will be able to influence the government in favor of Apple and other U.S. companies who do business in China now.
    Bah hahahahahahahaha!!!!! Did April Fool's Day come early this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    Bah hahahahahahahaha!!!!! Did April Fool's Day come early this year?
    Such a useless contribution to the conversation...

Privacy rights are a sign of a free society. In America they're a basic human right. If America doesn't put its foot down and demand privacy I'm afraid the entire world will simple march over their citizens in their quest for absolute power.

If I was to create a totalitarian system the first thing I would do is deny my citizens privacy, take over healthcare, and take away their guns. This is exactly what Hitler did in Austria. The NSA, Obamacare, gun control - there are scary times ahead on this planet if we can't turn America around.

Tim Cook is doing his part, it seems. Apple needs to be willing to pull sales out of China completely before giving in to the Chinese government. It's not like Apple's hurting for cash. Apple still has factories there, but that's pumping billions of Yen into China's economy - China couldn't stop Apple's factories even if it wanted to. Advantage: Apple.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 2015-03-16 at 07:02 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I am a U.S. citizen I would love to wave American flag and shout 'Merica! But I know what is going on outside of U.S.
    You guys do know China is communist country right?
    There really is no private property and do not give a crap about U.S. defined "Basic Human Rights" in communist country.
    You guys also realize this is the country that drove tanks over student protests at Tiananman Square, how much do you think they care about Basic Human Rights again?
    This is a country that closed its boarders for decades so economic sanction will do nothing to them.
    You guys do know U.S. owes Trillions to China right? You read it right Trillions with a T and plural, billions is nothing compare to trillions.
    Here is a quick search U.S. Debt - How Much China Owns
    If you want to do business with communist country like China, you better play by their rules.

This is temporary victory, the law did not change the policy did not change just that the government is not enforcing it... Yet! China will enforce this it is just matter of time, they will not allow foreign government/corporation to influence policy.
    You know when they do Apple will have to fold, the market in China is just too big for Apple to give up on.
    Even if by remote possibility Apple is willing to give up China that means global sales for Apple will decrease significantly, other phone manufacturer *cough*Samsung *cough* would not have a problem picking up this piece of the pie.
    Apple stock value would drop possibly causing a panic sales of AAPL...
    Tim is doing what is expected of him, byotch about it as much as he can eventually he will give in.
    Last edited by unison999; 2015-03-17 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Tim Cook is doing his part, it seems. Apple needs to be willing to pull sales out of China completely before giving in to the Chinese government. It's not like Apple's hurting for cash. Apple still has factories there, but that's pumping billions of Yen into China's economy - China couldn't stop Apple's factories even if it wanted to. Advantage: Apple.
    No, the advantage is not to Apple. Apple is, rather, at the mercy of what the Chinese government decides; and it will be a true test of Apple's (and Tim Cook's) conviction should the Chinese government decide to revisit the issue and demand those backdoors: Will Apple give in at that point in order to preserve the market, or will they opt to forego the Chinese market for those devices which will require the backdoors? Should they decide the latter, the next question would be will they dump all their Chinese suppliers and move manufacturing somewhere more amenable?

It's the old adage about putting your money where your mouth is, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Even if by remote possibility Apple is willing to give up China that means global sales for Apple will decrease significantly, other phone manufacturer *cough*Samsung *cough* would not have a problem picking up this piece of the pie.
    You're absolutely right about China's position as a Communist nation, and about how much money the U.S. owes them. It puts us (as a nation both politically and as an economic power) in a delicate place. Our only option really, is negotiations, which is why I hope the White House's efforts are eventually successful.

One thing I do want to counter in your argument is the assertion that Samsung would not have a problem with installing backdoors; it's not their OS -- it's Google's, and Google has already shown how much spine (or lack thereof) they have when it comes to the Chinese government's demands. Google will capitulate, especially if Apple holds their ground. Why? Because it would leave Android as the dominate phone OS in the Chinese market, and that would make all of Google's hardware partners very happy, and quite flush with cash.

Sadly, should the Chinese demand those backdoors, I think Apple would have no choice; they would have to give in.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You're absolutely right about China's position as a Communist nation, and about how much money the U.S. owes them. It puts us (as a nation both politically and as an economic power) in a delicate place. Our only option really, is negotiations, which is why I hope the White House's efforts are eventually successful.

One thing I do want to counter in your argument is the assertion that Samsung would not have a problem with installing backdoors; it's not their OS -- it's Google's, and Google has already shown how much spine (or lack thereof) they have when it comes to the Chinese government's demands. Google will capitulate, especially if Apple holds their ground. Why? Because it would leave Android as the dominate phone OS in the Chinese market, and that would make all of Google's hardware partners very happy, and quite flush with cash.

Sadly, should the Chinese demand those backdoors, I think Apple would have no choice; they would have to give in.
    Even if Google will not budge on the creating backdoor for all those smartphones sold in China (highly unlikely), Samsung have alternative.
    Samsung already have their own Operating System (Tizen) not just relying on Android, that is the one they have full access and can even give source code to China government if it is required. Hell maybe this will give them a push to improve on their own OS.
    Last edited by unison999; 2015-03-17 at 11:37 PM.

Samsung already have their own Operating System (Tizen) not just relying on Android, that is the one they have full access and can even give source code to China government if it is required. Hell maybe this will give them a push to improve on their own OS.
    Somehow, I don't think they would do that. Not too long ago, they had developed a different front-end and apps for Android -- I believe it was called "Web Book," or something similar -- but then Google cracked down and forced them to abandon it in favor of the stock front-end and standard Android Apps (GMail, Google Maps, etc...). If they were willing to scrap that much development in order to continue using Android, I cannot imagine them investing more heavily in Tizen (especially given what historically sells an OS are the applications it runs, not the OS itself) only to build out an infrastructure as well as an ecology to support it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Somehow, I don't think they would do that. Not too long ago, they had developed a different front-end and apps for Android -- I believe it was called "Web Book," or something similar -- but then Google cracked down and forced them to abandon it in favor of the stock front-end and standard Android Apps (GMail, Google Maps, etc...). If they were willing to scrap that much development in order to continue using Android, I cannot imagine them investing more heavily in Tizen (especially given what historically sells an OS are the applications it runs, not the OS itself) only to build out an infrastructure as well as an ecology to support it.
    But it can either be used as a weapon to make Google to create the backdoor, or actually utilize it because Google will not comply.
    This China market is just too big to give up on, especially when there is no domestic competition in mobile OS yet. If Apple do not comply and neither will Google and neither will Samsung... Someone in China just might create something to pick up on this market, then they are all screwed.

Someone in China just might create something to pick up on this market, then they are all screwed.
    The Chinese government has already demonstrated they will create their own; remember the version of Linux they put together with the Mac-like front end? I can easily see them creating a phone OS of their own, and using a company like Meizu to create the hardware to run it.

Thanks
    Such a useless contribution to the conversation...
    so was your reply to bigbaba. just like myself, you couldn't leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by DALFE5 View Post
    so was your reply to bigbaba. just like myself, you couldn't leave it alone.
    It would appear reading comprehension is not your strong suit, or else you would've noticed a rather productive exchange of ideas going on around your inanity...

Thanks
    It would appear reading comprehension is not your strong suit, or else you would've noticed a rather productive exchange of ideas going on around your inanity...
    so the inanity replies you make are special because you're a Díkč xīpán

Quote Originally Posted by DALFE5 View Post
    so the inanity replies you make are special because you're a Díkč xīpán
    I believe the word you're looking for is "inane," not "inanity; I see that grammar is not your strong suit either. And if you'd actually read the replies I've made to others, you'd see they're hardly "inane;" but perhaps vocabulary is yet another of your weak spots?