Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's New Miniature MacBook Announced With All-new Technology Built Into it

Default Apple's New Miniature MacBook Announced With All-new Technology Built Into it

Apple unveiled a new MacBook lineup on Monday with all-new looks and thinner design, it also comes in some cool new colors – silver, space gray, and gold!

The new MacBook is 24% thinner than even the previous generation MacBook Air:

With the thinness comes additional improvements in portability. The machine is now just 2 pounds and 13.1mm thin at its thickest point. Meanwhile, it still comes with an incredibly detailed 12-inch retina display with a resolution of 2304x1440 with a larger aperture that gives the display 30% more power efficiency.

Apple notes that the new MacBook is the world's more energy-efficient notebook, and comes with some all-new battery technology with terraced, contoured battery packs that fill the space inside of the all-new all-aluminum uni-body. The new battery technology gives users all-day usage with 35% more battery capacity than previous models:

The new design gives the MacBook an edge-to-edge keyboard with a brand new butterfly key technology, which virtually eliminates key wobble and gives users a stiffer keyboard with a thinner profile up to 40% thinner than previous keyboards. The keyboard includes back-lighting with individual LEDs under each key for notable difference in lighting performance:

Moreover, the new MacBook gets a completely re-vamped track pad with all-new force touch technology and improvements to the stiffness of the track pad. The new force-touch gives the new track pad some all-new gestures that the user can take advantage of:

Since the new Macbook is so thin, it needed some improvements to the ports. Apple is doing away with all of the huge ports on the side of the device and giving it a new USB-C technology standard, which the company notes has been a huge collaborative effort among many manufacturing companies to create. The new standard makes this port multi-purpose for power, video in/out, USB, and much more at just one-third of the size of regular USB:

The new MacBook comes with an all-new incredibly dense logic board that makes more room inside of the uni-body for the new larger batteries. The new logic board does completely away with an internal fan, so this means no more loud airplane noises when a flash video starts playing. This also means that the MacBook could get warm, but it'll be more like an iPad in terms of heat.

Apple notes the machines come With Intel Core M 14nm processors that consume just 5 watts of energy. Below, you can see the specs that come with the machines, which will be available starting April 10th.

For $1299, you get a 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor with Intel HD Graphics 5300 and 8GB of memory with 256GB of solid state storage:

For $1599, you get a 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor with Intel HD Graphics 5300 and 8GB of memory with 512GB of solid state storage:

Stay tuned as we continue to update you on Monday's 'Spring Forward' announcements!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kickerman65's Avatar
    Thanks

So they only included one USB-C port and didn't give us any regular USB ports at all? Seems like a step backwards to me. I don't want a usb adapter for something as simple as a flash drive. Like they couldn't have squeezed one regular USB port in their new design! Geeze.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kickerman65 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (2015-03-10)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    So they only included one USB-C port and didn't give us any regular USB ports at all? Seems like a step backwards to me. I don't want a usb adapter for something as simple as a flash drive. Like they couldn't have squeezed one regular USB port in their new design! Geeze.
    I didn't watch the keynote on this, however I went to the apple website and hit the compare button. I selected this notebook to compare with the 13" macbook air. Seems like the 13" macbook air has better specs, for $300 cheaper minus the retina display. I am in the market for a new macbook, I currently have a 13" macbook pro. I was thinking of upgrading to a 15" macbook pro. I guess I'll wait and check these out in store.
    useful? hit the thanks button!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

1 brand new connector...(Woohoo another new connector port)
    No more that 8GB memory....
    1.2 Dual Core....

Yeah it's clear that Apple is way more interested in making products for the Kim Kardashisans of the world than people who want good functional computers and devices.

Makes sense though, plenty more mindless drones to sell to than just the usual Apple sheep.

Putting a 1000% markup on the amount of actual Gold used for the Apple Watch is also laughable.

And here I was holding for today before replacing my old Macbook. Not anymore.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (2015-03-10)

What a ripoff. I love Apple products, but not the prices. There is no place for a smaller notebook with one or two "shiny" new add-ons that hold very little value. Too bad.

I was hoping against all hope that the 12" would introduce something like the lenovo yoga 3 pro 360° hinge for seamless use as either a tablet or laptop - maybe dual boot iOS and OSX. Something a little innovative.

Sadly disappointing, I feel like in the laptop department no one can get away from the flip phone era with clam shell designs that do little else. Now they are so thin, why can't we have some kind of butterfly type design that reveals a keyboard if not being used as a tablet and most of all, give us some capability for iOS/OSX so I don't have to have more than one device.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to crunchingnumbers For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (2015-03-10)

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    1 brand new connector...(Woohoo another new connector port)
    No more that 8GB memory....
    1.2 Dual Core....

Yeah it's clear that Apple is way more interested in making products for the Kim Kardashisans of the world than people who want good functional computers and devices.

Makes sense though, plenty more mindless drones to sell to than just the usual Apple sheep.

Putting a 1000% markup on the amount of actual Gold used for the Apple Watch is also laughable.

And here I was holding for today before replacing my old Macbook. Not anymore.

has any of the air series ever offered more than 8gb? have you asked yourself who the targeted demographics are for this device? ill give you a hint its not for the pro photogs and videophiles who need a stronger machine.

think about it, for a college student or someone who doesnt need a lot of computing power but needs to be mobile, this serves as the perfect device.

if you are serious about replacing your old macbook, then there are definitely other choices, probably in the likes of a 13" macbook pro with retina starts at the same price as the one you are crying about.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drigo1178 For This Useful Post:

NSXrebel (2015-03-10)

Quote Originally Posted by crunchingnumbers View Post
    I was hoping against all hope that the 12" would introduce something like the lenovo yoga 3 pro 360° hinge for seamless use as either a tablet or laptop - maybe dual boot iOS and OSX. Something a little innovative.

Sadly disappointing, I feel like in the laptop department no one can get away from the flip phone era with clam shell designs that do little else. Now they are so thin, why can't we have some kind of butterfly type design that reveals a keyboard if not being used as a tablet and most of all, give us some capability for iOS/OSX so I don't have to have more than one device.
    i was actually on the same boat, but not yoga, but more surface. I got a sp3 for my gf and i seriously love using it. i keep considering buying one, but like osx more. Problem i have with the surface is that touchscreen is really only applicable to the "Metro" cased applications. for somethings it works well, but not for all apps. So im sure apple is struggling with this a little as the touchscreen doesnt really add much value from a user standpoint but at the moment is more for d!ck swinging, and they will launch it when they have more things ready to go or more application devs ready to back it.

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    USB C isnt backwards...

announced almost 2 years ago.

http://www.usb.org/press/USB-IF_Pres...1203_Final.pdf

“
    Intel is
    excited to see the development of the new thin Type
    -
    C connector as it will enable
    an entirely new super thin class of devices from phones to
    tablets, to 2
    -
    in
    -
    1s, to laptops to
    desktops and a multitude of other more specific usage devices
    ” said Alex Peleg, Vice
    President, Platform Engineering Group. “This new industry standards
    -
    based thin connector
    delivering data, power and video is the only c
    onnector one will need across all devices

Thumbs down "The machine is ... 13.1mm thin..." WTF?
    What the f*ck is the meaning of "The machine is ... 13.1mm thin...". Do you have 12 year olds as editors??

This should not be a forum for propaganda, but for discussion of specs. and features, etc. Correct sentence is "The machine is ... 13.1mm THICK...".

Quote Originally Posted by drigo1178 View Post
    has any of the air series ever offered more than 8gb? have you asked yourself who the targeted demographics are for this device? ill give you a hint its not for the pro photogs and videophiles who need a stronger machine.

think about it, for a college student or someone who doesnt need a lot of computing power but needs to be mobile, this serves as the perfect device.

if you are serious about replacing your old macbook, then there are definitely other choices, probably in the likes of a 13" macbook pro with retina starts at the same price as the one you are crying about.
    As usual, you get the whiny babies that will complain about anything and everything Apple. If this doesn't suit your needs, get a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. I do photography and film, so this new MacBook is definitely not for me. Some neat stuff with the fanless system, new keyboard, force touch, and battery improvement. The color choices are nice too without having to look tacky. In the future I would like to upgrade my 15" Retina MacBook Pro to Space Gray if it becomes available. One cable docking would also be cool.

And... only 1 (ONE, one, uno) port??? And a pretty non-standard one at that? I think I will keep my 2012 13" MBA for a while, and maybe then switch off Mac (already hate every OS after 10.8).

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    What the f*ck is the meaning of "The machine is ... 13.1mm thin...". Do you have 12 year olds as editors??

This should not be a forum for propaganda, but for discussion of specs. and features, etc. Correct sentence is "The machine is ... 13.1mm THICK...".
    Anthony has been a great contributor to the modmyi team. Why don't you give him kudos for making the article in a rush? The world needs to hear about the news! I'm sure you would be making mistakes typing hundreds of articles. Everyone is a critic these days.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miketurbo123 For This Useful Post:

jsuddu0109 (2015-03-16), novadam (2015-03-10), SpiderManAPV (2015-03-10)