Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: It's Official: 'Android Pay' Coming to Challenge Apple Pay

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default It's Official: 'Android Pay' Coming to Challenge Apple Pay

Details are still sketchy and forthcoming, but the most important morsel of information was just dropped by Google in Barcelona, Spain today for the start of Mobile World Congress 2015.

Google’s Sundar Pichai revealed that Android Pay will be Google's newest mobile payments initiative and it's designed to go for the jugular on Apple Pay, the Cupertino, California-based tech giants red-hot mobile money platform.

Making up for the shortcomings of Google Wallet, this time, according to Darrell Etherington of TechCrunch, Google will be "mostly leaving the apps themselves to developers, and Android Pay is intended primarily as a developer tool made available via API, rather than a centralized app like Apple Pay, for instance."

In short, Google is relying heavily on developers to make this platform happen. Android Pay will let users store payment info locally and will make it "available securely" to third-party developer apps (via API). We don't yet know the details of how the platform will integrate overall into the world of Android at large or if/how multiple apps will play nicely with Android Play. But the service is coming, nonetheless.

There is no timeframe for launch yet, but additional information will likely be provided to Android's developer community in May at Google's I/O developer conference.

Source: TechCrunch

Green Apple
    Thanks

And... in the process, it seems Google misses the point entirely of what makes Apple Pay work so well and why it's garnered so much adoption so quickly.

Thanks

Originality please. Maybe one day Android.

The more the merrier so we can get more NFC pinpads in stores to use, but i would be concerned about google's plan to create an API and give third party apps access. I feel like a little malicious code or some other kind of security breach on the part of the third party dev could put my info at risk.

when it comes to information this senssitive, I am very happy with Apple's walled garden and overprotectionism.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    The more the merrier so we can get more NFC pinpads in stores to use, but i would be concerned about google's plan to create an API and give third party apps access. I feel like a little malicious code or some other kind of security breach on the part of the third party dev could put my info at risk.

when it comes to information this senssitive, I am very happy with Apple's walled garden and overprotectionism.
    Are you insane? It is your RIGHT to have the CHOICE of which malware robs you blind with identity theft!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbaba For This Useful Post:

NSXrebel (2015-03-03)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

I love this. Where are all the Android fanbois now? I thought Apple copies Android? How can it be?

Lets hope that Google can get this to the rest of the world quickly, Apple appear to have stalled so far

I hope this works out for them... Though it sends like a rushed effort to compete with Apple. That typically doesn't work out well for the end user. Apple takes its time to get this stuff done right.

Google Wallet 2.0

Why is it that these bums at google couldn't get this working or care about getting this working until apple came along and was successful? So much for innovating I guess. Google apparently hires lots of smart people. I guess they're just not that smart. Either that or no one at google ever sees the big picture.
    Hmm...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

NSXrebel (2015-03-03)

Android Pay? Samsung Pay? How original....

Samsung Pay is not even encrypted, uses the same magnetic stripe technology as plastic.