Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chinese Government Removes Apple and Other Tech Companies from Approved List of Vendors

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Chinese Government Removes Apple and Other Tech Companies from Approved List of Vendors

The Chinese government has recently blacklisted Apple and several other big name US technology companies from its approved state purchase lists. The move leaves local companies to fill the resulting void according to a recently published report from Reuters. China’s Central Government Procurement Center (CGPC) ended up approving thousands of products made domestically after blacklisting US tech companies due to concerns over Western cyber surveillance operations.

From 2012 to 2014, the CGPC ended up adding more than 2,000 new products to its list which dictates spending by central state ministries, bringing the total to nearly 5,000. This increase was largely due to local vendors as foreign brand presence has fallen over one third over the same period of time.

Others to be removed from the list included Cisco, Intel, McAfee and Citrix Systems. Cisco Systems appears to be one of the companies who was hurt the most as the network hardware firm ended up seeing its share of approved products drop from 60% in 2012 to literally 0% by late 2014.

The publication said that any number of reasons can be attributed to the list change including assurances from domestic firms that their products are more secure than foreign solutions. The new Chinese regulations come on the heels of the news regarding US cyber surveillance activities run by the National Security Agency brought to light by former NSA contractor, Edward Snowden. Just after Apple was involved in allegations regarding a NSA spying program last year, China Central Television aired a report stating that iOS location tracking was “a national security concern.” To help reduce the concerns, Apple moved Chinese users’ iCloud data to servers within China – a move which didn’t help enough.

Apple even ended up going as far as agreeing to subject its consumer products to security audits by the China’s State Internet Information Office. The move was made to persuade Chinese regulators that rumors of software backdoors and third-party data sharing were false but this wasn’t enough to convince Chinese officials either.

We’ll have to see the long-term effects that such a move has on Apple and other US tech companies.

Source: Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I realize they have the largest population, but is China really worth the headache of having to deal with their BS? Were I a corporation, I'd blacklist sales to China unless they sign my license agreement, one specifically worded at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    I realize they have the largest population, but is China really worth the headache of having to deal with their BS? Were I a corporation, I'd blacklist sales to China unless they sign my license agreement, one specifically worded at them.
    Well that's bad business. This blacklist only really applies to government equipment. Cisco was found with backdoors in their products so the government rightfully doesn't want their equipment.