Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Gold Watch Rumored to Bring in Most of Apple Watch Revenue

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple's Gold Watch Rumored to Bring in Most of Apple Watch Revenue

The Wall Street Journal recently noted that Apple has ordered 5-6 million Apple Watches before the confirmed launch in April. It even specified that out of the 5-6 million orders, half of it will be the entry-level Apple Watch Sport, a third of the shipments will be the mid-tier Apple Watch, while the remaining number will be for the special limited edition of the wearable device. Although the number is not as high as the other models, keep in mind that it is still approximately 850,000- 1 million.

The Apple Watch Edition is the most expensive of all the models and will be in gold. So you can imagine how much more expensive this model will be and even with just 850,000 to 1 million units, Apple will be making a lot of money off the gold version of the watch. According to Daring Fireball’s John Gruber, Apple will be making the majority of their Apple Watch revenue from the special edition of the device.

So as a business — if the WSJ’s sources are correct, and if Apple is correctly predicting demand — Apple Watch revenue will be dominated by the gold Edition units, accounting for double or more of the revenue from all the other models combined. The Edition models would thus do to the Apple Watch lineup as a whole what the iPhone, iPad, and Macintosh do to the entire phone, tablet, and PC industries, respectively: achieve a decided majority of the profits with a decided minority of the unit sales.
    Many previous reports have noted that the gold Apple Watch will cost as much as $4,000 or more. As for the entry level Sport model it is said to cost $349, and pricing for the other models have not been confirmed yet. Apple will apparently up their Apple Watch production units by the second quarter of this year.

Source: Daring Fireball

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

i can't bring myself to believe that a $4000+ apple watch (first gen, first batch) is going to sell very well. if I were rich I still wouldn't spend that money on a piece of jewelry that will be outdated tech by the same time next year. I think the price has been exaggerated or it could be possible that I just don't realize how desirable this watch really is.
    I just want the cheap one myself.