Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony Set to Begin Shipping its SmartEyeglass Wearable Starting March 10

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sony Set to Begin Shipping its SmartEyeglass Wearable Starting March 10

Despite Google Glass being an unspoken failure, the unfortunate news for Google didn’t stop Sony from moving ahead with its own face-attached augmented reality device. Those of you who are interested early adopters can now place an order for their own set of “SmartEyeglass Developer Edition” eyewear for delivery in March. Given the Sony-like designation, the company’s new wearable, which was revealed last fall, looks very similar to that of an early pair of active 3D glasses.

The glasses which weigh in at 77 grams pack a 3-megapixel camera as well as a compliment of positioning and environmental sensors including an accelerometer, gyroscope, compass and brightness sensor. The computation is largely handled by a Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone with text and images projected onto lenses over both eyes for a 3D view. Sony claims the lenses are just 3 millimeters thick with 85% transmittance. According to Sony, the display module uses proprietary “hologram optics” technology. The company mentioned the following in a release:

Holographic waveguide technology entails the propagation of image light that is output from the optical engine, using holographic optical elements embedded in both sides of a glass plate. The light is propagated through the extremely thin (1 mm) glass plate and then delivered to the eyes.
    Sony’s technology includes a tethered control pod, unlike Google’s Glass. The disc-shaped controller includes a battery that will power the SmartEyeglass for up to 150 minutes along with a speaker, microphone, NFC chip and touch sensor. As expected, Sony will be releasing an official version of the software development kit (SDK) for the device soon.

The SED-E1 SmartEyeglass Developer Edition is available for pre-order in the UK and is expected to expand to Japan and the US on March 10th. Those who are interested will be set back roughly $840.

Wearables seem to be a hot trend in today's digital world but with the failure of Google Glass, its unlikely Sony will gain traction with this device either. The fact that Apple has expressed zero interest in this particular technology should also indicate how it is perceived in terms of having a chance to succeed in the market.

Source: PC Mag

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

So fugly and useless looking.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

jsuddu0109 (2015-02-26)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    Sony’s technology includes a tethered control pod, unlike Google’s Glass. The disc-shaped controller includes a battery that will power the SmartEyeglass for up to 150 minutes
    Who knew it was possible to make an even worse version of Glass? And the looks aren't any better.

Thanks

Hideous.

Sony's version of birth control or a bukkake shield

I wouldn’t mind if these were safety glasses.

Terrible. Wouldn't wear them if they were magic. Which they are not.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cwproctor For This Useful Post:

jsuddu0109 (2015-02-26)

I wouldn't wear them if they paid me to. No way I'm going to purchase them. They look absolutely hideous, and the tethered control pod is just stupid. I could whip up a better battery solution in my basement.