Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Report Claims Samsung Will Copy the Digital Crown on Apple's Upcoming Apple Watch

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Report Claims Samsung Will Copy the Digital Crown on Apple's Upcoming Apple Watch

A recent report from SamMobile claims that Korean-based company Samsung has plans on copying the digital crown on Apple’s upcoming Apple Watch. The Cupertino-based company has previously noted the importance of the digital crown on the unreleased wearable device and already Samsung has plans on copying it. The new Samsung smartwatch is codenamed Obris and is set to hit the market this year as well. SamMobile noted that the device would be unveiled next month at the Mobile World Congress event (MWC).

Obris will apparently also sport a crown-shaped power button just like the Apple Watch, but Samsung won’t be including any specific functionality on it. Instead, “those functions will be delegated to the rotating bezel ring on the top of the watch.” This isn’t the first smartwatch the Korean-based company has released, but this may be their most successful one yet if they decide to copy Apple’s design in some way, shape, or form. We will have to wait and see how successful their new wearable device will be compared to the highly anticipated Apple Watch.

Source: SamMobile

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

This is no surprise that they will copy Apple they have no innovation of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    This is no surprise that they will copy Apple they have no innovation of their own.
    Zzzzzzzzzz

If all it does is toggle the watch off and on, I wouldn't call it a copy. If it does more Apple Watch functions like scrolling, then it's more of a copy.

We'll see.

Using the crown to turn the display on and off is the most logical part of a watch, just because Apple announced the function first doesn't mean that everyone else is copying

Not really planning to spend money on any smartwatch, but if I do, I'll wait for Apple's gen2 watch. If we know anything about Apple, we know it'll not only be better but have more functions and be a lot thinner!

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Using the crown to turn the display on and off is the most logical part of a watch, just because Apple announced the function first doesn't mean that everyone else is copying
    hindsight is 20/20. How many smart watches have been made to date and how many have functional crowns? the moto 360 is the only I can think of. Most smart watches just have buttons, so it's not as logical as you claim. I do agree it's not really copying Apple though. More like copying Moto. If it has similar Apple scroll and zoom functions, then it's copying Apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    hindsight is 20/20. How many smart watches have been made to date and how many have functional crowns? the moto 360 is the only I can think of. Most smart watches just have buttons, so it's not as logical as you claim. I do agree it's not really copying Apple though. More like copying Moto. If it has similar Apple scroll and zoom functions, then it's copying Apple.
    +1

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Traditional watches have always had this feature to operate the watch (time setting, winding), so it is not new or designed by Apple. Why all the fuss over a part that has been integral to the watch since it's inception?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Traditional watches have always had this feature to operate the watch (time setting, winding), so it is not new or designed by Apple. Why all the fuss over a part that has been integral to the watch since it's inception?
    Watch the keynote.