Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Shows Support for Charlie Hebdo on its French Website after the Recent Attack

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Shows Support for Charlie Hebdo on its French Website after the Recent Attack

After the horrific attack on satirical French magazine, Charlie Hebdo, which left 12 people dead, Apple added a full-width black banner which read “Je suis Charlie” to its official regional website. The banner is the same mark seen on Charlie Hebdo’s own website and on signs carried by crowds which were participating in mass vigils throughout Europe. “Je suis Charlie” is at the same time a result of and call for solidarity.

The recent update is a small but significant one for Apple which recently kicked off of a worldwide promotion which touted visual arts created on its products. For those of you who didn’t already know, Apple is known for its support of media creators, like the company’s “Think Different” ad campaign which included a handful of legendary artists, and the banner represents a show of solidarity not only with the magazine but with creative everywhere.

If you aren’t aware of what’s going on exactly, the Charlie Hebdo attack elicited public outcry from several well-known comedians, journalists and other figures. The attack was seen as an assault against freedom of speech, thought and press.

In the past, the magazine has sparked outrage from the Muslim community for publishing several notorious cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad. Back in 2011, the magazine was bombed after running a satirical cartoon shown which mocked the religious figure. This past week, gunmen raided the Charlie Hebdo offices in Paris and opened fire on the staff during a lunchtime meeting. BBC News reports that four of the magazine’s cartoonists were killed. Two police officers were also gunned down.

Source: Apple.fr via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Apple you need to concern yourself with making products and not taking political/social positions. While satire is an important part of free speech the constant lampooning of religion (regardless of which) and supporting that is bigotry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2015-01-10)

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Apple you need to concern yourself with making products and not taking political/social positions. While satire is an important part of free speech the constant lampooning of religion (regardless of which) and supporting that is bigotry.
    Cartoons are bigotry? Much of my family died in the holocaust, you moron. Free speech is essential in any community wishing to avoid past tragedy like that. Fear to speak out allows our worst moments to repeat themselves. I, for one, applaud Apple's support here.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Cartoons are bigotry? Much of my family died in the holocaust, you moron. Free speech is essential in any community wishing to avoid past tragedy like that. Fear to speak out allows our worst moments to repeat themselves. I, for one, applaud Apple's support here.
    Really? Then why does anybody talking about jews called anti-semetic then?

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Regardless of what that Imam said, the right to free expression DOES extend to insulting the prophet of Islam, same as it allows for insults and criticism of anyone/thing else. Saying it doesn't does not make it true.

Hate speech involves threats. Insults, jokes, and criticism are not hate speech. Apple isn't getting political by supporting the right to free expression. They are promoting their own values, same as they always have. Funny that you have a problem with them promoting this value when they also promote gay rights and other "political" positions. It's not their fault these things have been politicized.
    Last edited by CZroe; 2015-01-11 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks

As far as I'm concerned the people responsible for those cartoons were no heroes, regardless of how evil and nonsensical the terrorists were. The people who ran that magazine knew full well what was going to happen, as there are quotes of them saying as such. Their actions, while not nearly as bad as what the actual perpetrators did, were very irresponsible given this knowledge. While it is perhaps their right to risk their own lives for obscene cartoons (and yes, some of them went beyond simple disagreement or "blasphemy"), it ultimately lead to the deaths of innocent bystanders and people who had a duty to protect them.