Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook Reportedly "Deeply Offended" by BBC's Allegations in Recent Documentary

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Tim Cook Reportedly "Deeply Offended" by BBC's Allegations in Recent Documentary

According to a report from The Telegraph, Apple CEO, Tim Cook, mentioned he was deeply offended by allegations that Apple allows the mistreatment of workers in its supplier factories and mines. For those of you who didn’t know, the accusations were made by the BBC news program, Panorama, which went undercover to work in Chinese factories and Indonesian mines to film a documentary which BBC aired recently. Apple Senior Vice President of Operations, Jeff Williams, recently relayed Tim Cook’s message in an email sent to its UK staff. In the email, both Cook and Williams stated the following:

[We are] deeply offended by the suggestion that Apple would break a promise to the workers in our supply chain or mislead our customers in anyway. Panorama’s report implied that Apple isn’t improving working conditions. Let me tell you, nothing could be further from the truth.
    Williams continued by implying that Apple provided BBC with several facts regarding the company’s commitment to its workers worldwide but this was information which was left out of the documentary. BBC on the other hand claims that Chinese workers were forced to work long hours assembling Apple devices and weren’t given days off even after working 18 days in a row. They also discovered issues with off-hour work meetings, underage workers and other violations with dormitories and ID cards.

We’ll have to see what comes of the issue but one thing to note is that Apple does seem to be trying to improve conditions and the Cupertino California company isn’t the only tech giant in the situation yet the limelight continues to shine on it as opposed to the many others.

Those of you who haven't seen the video can do so below:

Source: The Telegraph
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 2014-12-19 at 06:35 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Interesting video! Not even going to touch it lol. I can rip apart this video.

Not saying Apple is perfect, but you can't compare working conditions from China to the USA when China is a communist/dictatorship country and their people are dictated and told what to do.

As far as the tin mining goes, I bet the soldier we buy at Radio Shack and other places have some type of illegal tin in it. Therefore I guess we should be blamed also?

But in the end the BBC is going to edit this video to show what they want and not the 100% truth and equal sided views.

Im guessing 95% of factories in China are the same, or even worse.

If you think the the political class in the UK are filled with a certain elite demographic of society, the reporters who populate the BBC are even worse. They're so far up their own arse that you should take their reporting with a grain of salt.

Deeply offended? I would rather he was outraged and ordered a full scale investigation into his company's manufacturing partners.

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Deeply offended? I would rather he was outraged and ordered a full scale investigation into his company's manufacturing partners.
    This.
    the correct answer should be;
    Itís terrible that this is happening in our beloved Apple but hopefully Tim will do what he can to stamp it out. Only then do you compare to the others doing the same thing. Two wrongs donít make a right, the people here canít see a wrong at all.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    This.
    the correct answer should be;
    Itís terrible that this is happening in our beloved Apple but hopefully Tim will do what he can to stamp it out. Only then do you compare to the others doing the same thing. Two wrongs donít make a right, the people here canít see a wrong at all.
    I think the difference is that Apple is doing something. Perhaps slowly and perhaps not enough, but it is working to better the lives of its employees. The reason it seems weird to only list Apple it's that no other company is doing anything whatsoever.

I agree with your answer in every part except that it shouldn't be pointed out in others. If the BBC is going to launch an investigation, shouldn't it investigate all parties involved? I know people who will probably see this and go "I can't buy Apple because they treat employees badly so I'll go to Samsung," when in fact Samsung is just as, if not more guilty of this. I'm not saying they shouldn't condemn Apple, just that it needs to be made clear that Apple isn't the only responsible party.

Note: I have NOT watched the documentary so I cannot say for certain that this doesn't happen, but if it does I agree with it whole-heartedly.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I think the difference is that Apple is doing something. Perhaps slowly and perhaps not enough, but it is working to better the lives of its employees. The reason it seems weird to only list Apple it's that no other company is doing anything whatsoever.

I agree with your answer in every part except that it shouldn't be pointed out in others. If the BBC is going to launch an investigation, shouldn't it investigate all parties involved? I know people who will probably see this and go "I can't buy Apple because they treat employees badly so I'll go to Samsung," when in fact Samsung is just as, if not more guilty of this. I'm not saying they shouldn't condemn Apple, just that it needs to be made clear that Apple isn't the only responsible party.

Note: I have NOT watched the documentary so I cannot say for certain that this doesn't happen, but if it does I agree with it whole-heartedly.
    Having watched the video, 1/2 the video is about illegal tin being mined and how it ends up in the supply chain. In short, illegal tin mined from Indonesia and legal tin ends up in the supply chain. There is so many hands that the tin goes through, there is no way to track it. Indonesia accounts for 30% of the world supply of tin soldier. So for all we know, the next time you buy soldier from Radio Shack or Lowes, it could contain illegal mined tin in it.

The people/employees are basically dictated too on what they do and when. But what would you expect from a communist/dictatorship country? Apple can try and help, but they don't own those businesses either though. I would like to see what they edited out also from the video. Bet you they edited out some other information that might be key to show Apple is trying. But yes other companies need to take blame on this too just besides naming Apple as the only one.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-12-21)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

when you expect 65 million iPhones 6 sold this december quarter.
    Apple would be more guilty of pushing workers to produce than any other company.
    That is all I am saying.