Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Developers Have Until June 1st to Enable 64-bit Support on Existing Apps in App Store

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Developers Have Until June 1st to Enable 64-bit Support on Existing Apps in App Store

Developers were notified by Apple recently that existing App Store applications have to include support for 64-bit on updates starting June 1st of 2015. From now till June, developers have a good six months to prep for the switchover. Although this switch is in June, new apps that get submitted have to have 64-bit support much earlier, starting February 1, 2015. An iOS 8 SDK (software development kit) also needs to be built by the 1st of February when submitting the app.

The Cupertino-based company started notifying developers two months ago, back in October about the 64-bit requirement for new apps. Apple had introduced 64-bit portable computing when the iPhone 5s was released last year. It was noted that the company told developers that they could use the default Xcode setting of ‘Standard architecture’ when building the 64-bit project. Any updates for apps can stay 32-bit until the end of May.

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Too many stupid restrictions thats why Android is looking so good. You can have an app on the store you made for Android v2 and it'll still work and be valid and still allowed to be there.
    Apple on the other hand, if you have an app made for the iPhone4 and IOS7 it will be deleted soon as its not 64bit or IOS8. stupid restrictions.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a2943149 View Post
    Too many stupid restrictions thats why Android is looking so good. You can have an app on the store you made for Android v2 and it'll still work and be valid and still allowed to be there.
    Apple on the other hand, if you have an app made for the iPhone4 and IOS7 it will be deleted soon as its not 64bit or IOS8. stupid restrictions.
    I disagree.

Apple wants to make sure that all applications they offer on their store perform optimally on the latest hardware and OS release. They want to weed out outdated code apps that could potentially have issues on newer hardware and OS releases. This is a far better alternative than going back and having to test all of the outdated apps to make sure they still work, and a far better alternative than having to deal with refund requests that could result.

These requirements also help to cut down on code bloat in the OS. Between OS versions, features and APIs are regularly changed, deprecated, or deleted, which can break compatibility. The "solution" to allowing older apps to remain indefinitely without breaking compatibility would be to never change, deprecate, or delete API features... which is unrealistic in an evolving OS, and contributes to wasted OS resources when things are delayed from deprecation and deletion. (It can also lead to instability when deprecated APIs are used)

I'm all for Apple making sure that apps are kept modern and up to date to remain on the store.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PCYoda For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-12-18)

I may get criticized for this comment, but why are there apps on the app store that aren't updated to iOS 8. I've purchased some that for some reason the app will not work (a bug that the developer is aware of) and several months later is still not fixed and no response from the developer after several emails sent. On one occasion, i was informed the update was submitted to Apple. 3 months later, not update in the App Store and the developer does not respond to any emails. For what its worth, I'd tried asking the developer for a refund. Fat chance I will get a response. If the developer has no intention of updating the app, I would rather receive an email indicating this rather than waiting for the update.

I'm not attacking all developers as I know from reading many posts that not all bugs or updates are simple. All I am asking is for some sort of response as to the progress. I don't think that is a lot to ask.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mgmm1 For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-12-18)

Quote Originally Posted by a2943149 View Post
    You are kidding right? Let people do what they want and it will become the same mess as Android.. No thanks! This is why we don't use android..