Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Police Don't Need a Warrant to Search Cell Phones in Canada According to Court Ruling

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Police Don't Need a Warrant to Search Cell Phones in Canada According to Court Ruling

We reported just yesterday that Iowa was looking to get an app developed for driver’s licenses so that a physical license will no longer need to be carried around. However, recent reports are saying that the Supreme Court of Canada have made a 4-3 decision that during arrests, police officers can search mobile phones without a warrant under specific circumstances. If you ask us, it seems like these two are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Police officers will need a rational reason behind the search, the arrest has to be lawful, detailed records of the search must be kept by officers, and the search is limited to suspected crime. According to Justice Andromache Karakatsanis on behalf of three dissenting judges:

I doubt not that police officers faced with this decision would act in good faith, but I do not think that they are in the best position to determine ‘with great circumspection’ whether the law enforcement objectives clearly outweigh the potentially significant intrusion on privacy in the search of a personal cellphone or computer. If they are wrong, the subsequent exclusion of the evidence will not remedy the initial privacy violation.
    The three judges did not agree with the conclusion and felt that officers should indeed have a warrant in order to search mobile devices. It was noted that apparently the court was trying to come to a decision where Canadian citizens could steer clear of unlawful searches while law enforcements could be upheld. We feel that the ruling will definitely be a controversial one and that if this ever happened in the U.S., we would hear no end to it.

Source: Global News

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I really REALLY hope this never passes in America. Can't say it wouldn't surprise me though.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

What surprises me is that Canada made this law. And beware, police CAN search your phone without warrant if you leave it open with no passcode. They cannot force you to give up your passcode without a warrant. Your phone & laptop are subject to search without a warrant at border crossings also.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    What surprises me is that Canada made this law. And beware, police CAN search your phone without warrant if you leave it open with no passcode. They cannot force you to give up your passcode without a warrant. Your phone & laptop are subject to search without a warrant at border crossings also.
    This is one of the reasons why everything I own has a password of some form if possible.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Thanks

Slowly but surely that Police State is creepy up on us. Reality can be stranger than fiction.