Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Transmit for iOS Forced to Delete All Share Sheet Options due to Apple Dev Guidelines

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Transmit for iOS Forced to Delete All Share Sheet Options due to Apple Dev Guidelines

In the most recent App Store policy change, the Cupertino California company recently reportedly blocked Panic from adding the standard iOS Share Sheet to its Transmit file transfer app due to an unwritten policy which “forbids apps from uploading content to iCloud Drive unless the content was created in the app itself.” The policy was originally intended to prevent apps from dumping large amounts of arbitrary files into a users’ iCloud Drive storage. That being said, it’s not actually possible for app developers to disable the ability to send files to iCloud Drive because the iOS platform creates the Share Sheet.

This particular move has forced Panic to remove the entire Share Sheet from its app, a move which erases the ability to for users to send their files to any cloud service enabled by iOS 8’s New Document Provider App Extension feature including services such as Box, Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive. Panic ended up informing users of Apple’s decision in a recent blog post stating that Transmit would no longer be able to implement the “Send” feature due to iOS developer guidelines.

Apple’s new App Store Review guidelines don’t mention iCloud Drive and the section on Extensions only references iOS Data Storage policies related to iCloud Backups. Core Data and iCloud Backup seek to limit the amount of data that needs to be shuttled back and forth between users’ devices and Apple’s iCloud servers, which means that Transmit’s file transfer feature could end up causing an unanticipated server load given that iOS typically utilizes iCloud Drive as a repository for users’ active documents that are actively backed up and kept in sync. This policy ends up creating a problem for apps that want to use other cloud services which act as a simple network storage since iOS doesn’t allow apps to edit the Share Sheet to only list select cloud services.

The Cupertino California company informed Panic that their Transmit app was in violation of Apple’s rules, specifically a limitation on uploading data to iCloud Drive that isn’t created in-app, and would need to remove the “Send” feature. Removing the association with iCloud would end up forcing Transmit to delete Share Sheet compatibility since iOS doesn’t allow developers for selective Share Sheet customization. Panic, the developers behind the Transmit app had the following to say regarding the matter:

In short, we're told that while Transmit iOS can download content from iCloud Drive, we cannot upload content to iCloud Drive unless the content was created in the app itself. Apple says this use would violate 2.23 — "Apps must follow the iOS Data Storage Guidelines or they will be rejected" — but oddly that page says nothing about iCloud Drive or appropriate uses for iCloud Drive.
    As of right now, Panic is hopeful that it will be able to bring “Send” functionality back in a later update.
    We’ll have to wait and see what happens going forward. In the meantime, losing out on functionality is never fun but we have to deal with it regardless.

Source: Apple (Developer), Panic (blog), iTunes

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Panic apps are unrealistically expensive, which is because with the demise of iSSH there are no real competitors. I would really like prompt 2, but not at $9.99. I wonder if this affects that app too?

Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Panic apps are unrealistically expensive, which is because with the demise of iSSH there are no real competitors. I would really like prompt 2, but not at $9.99. I wonder if this affects that app too?
    $10 is "unrealistically expensive"?

One person buying an app for $10 pays for maybe 10 to 20 minutes of a developers wages, not including any overhead like electricity, hardware, bandwidth, or office space.

How selfish are we becoming as a society where we can buy an iPhone or iPad but call $10 for a good app from a very awesome small company "unrealistically expensive"?

I do agree that $10 is more expensive than the average small app - and it's probably about my upper limit unless an app is really big or important... But I wouldn't say it is "unrealistic". I might say "it's not a cheap app."

I have bought a couple Panic apps which I use. But not all of their apps are things I need. However Panic has outstanding customer support.

But the price of a couple Starbucks drinks is not too unrealistic for an app which is useful to me.

--
    Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

This is exactly why I never turn on the Auto Update feature for Apps. And why I wish ASUpdateHider would return for iOS8.

Panic produces great apps and I hope this works out. But meanwhile I would never let expensive, work critical apps like this "auto-update" at the risk of losing features. Anyone else remember the "update" to the Netflix 3.0 app that locked out most users for weeks?
    Last edited by Kupe; 2014-12-10 at 05:04 AM.