Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FCC Pressures T-Mobile into Giving More Accurate Information to Throttled Users

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default FCC Pressures T-Mobile into Giving More Accurate Information to Throttled Users

Mobile carrier T-Mobile has announced that they had come to an agreement with the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) about being more open and honest with its customers about the speed of Internet connection they are getting. T-Mobile has promised to give more ‘accurate information’ in regards to bandwidth speed and will do so even when the data is throttled. Apparently FCC put pressure on the mobile company when they found inaccurate information was provided to its customers when speed tests were ran.

It was found that when a customer surpasses their allotment, the speed for the Internet gets decreased to as low as 64kbps. But when a customer runs a speed test, the information given doesn’t show that and makes it seem as though it’s being run at normal speed. According to the FCC:

"The FCC is committed to ensuring that broadband providers are transparent to consumers. I'm grateful T-Mobile has worked with the FCC to ensure that its customers are better informed about the speeds they are experiencing," said FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler. "Consumers need this information to fully understand what they are getting with their broadband service."
    The mobile carrier has agreed to provide direct links to customers allowing them to run actual speed tests on their phones by sending them text messages. The changes will take effect sometime in the next 60 days.

Source: FCC

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Honestly, their throttled speeds are still faster than my nonthrottled AT&T speeds and Tmoile has been very straightforward about how they throttle their connections. Basically when you are throttled, they take you down one step form where you normally would be on that particular tower.

Default 1gig of LTE, then 2g speeds
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Honestly, their throttled speeds are still faster than my nonthrottled AT&T speeds and Tmoile has been very straightforward about how they throttle their connections. Basically when you are throttled, they take you down one step form where you normally would be on that particular tower.
    I know on the new 100.00 for up to four people, the plan is 1g of LTE, then throttled to 2g speeds; which is basically good for checking emails.