Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Microsoft's New Ad Bashes the MacBook Air in Favor of the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro

  1. #1
    Default Microsoft's New Ad Bashes the MacBook Air in Favor of the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro


    Microsoft is on the offensive again in their latest ad showcasing the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. The new ad bashes Apple's MacBook Air in the process:



    In the ad, Microsoft touts a thinner display on the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro, which is 13mm rather than 17mm like Apple's MacBook Air. Then it goes on to show how the Windows machine can fold backwards to reveal a tablet-like interface, while the MacBook Air offers no such functionality – this also goes for the functionality that Microsoft is calling the "tent" in the video, where the backwards-folded keyboard can make for a kickstand so that the computer's display is put at a nice video viewing angle – of course, the MacBook Air can't do that, so they threw that in there too.

    The ad closes with the demonstration of the touch display on the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro, which the MacBook Air clearly doesn't have. If you want a touch display on any of Apple's products, you have to go with a mobile device like the iPad.

    Sources: Microsoft
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-11-03 at 03:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Knows something jsuddu0109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts

    This is like comparing apples to oranges. Rotten oranges at that.

  3. #3
    Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia USA
    Posts
    2,197
    Thanks
    1,697
    Thanked 826 Times in 526 Posts

    Default Microsoft's New Ad Bashes the MacBook Air in Favor of the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jsuddu0109 View Post
    This is like comparing apples to oranges. Rotten oranges at that.
    Actually, I think windows makes some half decent comparisons in these ads. What they don't seem to realize is that anyone who wants to actually spend that much money on a laptop doesn't want to do it on the crap that is windows 8.

    Edit: and they sure as heck don't want it on a desktop.

    ......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

    jsuddu0109 (2014-11-03)

  5. #4
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Jaw'Ja
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 88 Times in 67 Posts

    I was gonna say, the problem is, it's WINDOWS! Which sucks!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to edwilk55 For This Useful Post:

    SpiderManAPV (2014-11-03)

  7. #5
    So here is the kicker.....

    with that Lenovo I can.... Program my car yet do everything i want to do afterwards.
    With a Mac I have to dual boot. I recently got a Mac Pro and got yosemite on it. I forced myself to use it... Its "beautiful". There is no way around that. The OS looks great. But the reality is that the windows OS is a much better OS for pretty much everything. OSX is more convoluted. A little bit more difficult to do certain tasks. Each other can learn from their competition. Yosemite has a big plus now with the iPhone. But Windows is just still the better OS. Even for watching videos and such it is much more easier to setup than OSX.

    After liking the looks 10x more on OSX than Windows, learned its "culture" in the past month, i've gradually come back to Win8. It could be that 15+ years of experience on one OS or that its simply easier to setup and use.

    For instance the software support for Windows just blows away MAC out of the water and that makes the difference.

    So... those of you saying windows sucks probably have never used it on a day to day basis and really learned the OS.

    I still find Mac lacking on many things (things like uninstall center or something like that).

    Anyways... That yoga 3 looks nice, but the lack of LTE connectivity and something that integrates it like Apple TV/Handoff/Yosemite, will make it a hard sell @ 1300$.
    Last edited by The Highlander; 2014-11-03 at 04:41 PM.

  8. #6
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Jaw'Ja
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 88 Times in 67 Posts

    I was gonna say, the problem is, it's WINDOWS! Which sucks!

  9. #7
    Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia USA
    Posts
    2,197
    Thanks
    1,697
    Thanked 826 Times in 526 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
    So But the reality is that the windows OS is a much better OS for pretty much everything. OSX is more convoluted. A little bit more difficult to do certain tasks. Each other can learn from their competition. Yosemite has a big plus now with the iPhone. But Windows is just still the better OS. Even for watching videos and such it is much more easier to setup than OSX.

    After liking the looks 10x more on OSX than Windows, learned its "culture" in the past month, i've gradually come back to Win8. It could be that 15+ years of experience on one OS or that its simply easier to setup and use.

    For instance the software support for Windows just blows away MAC out of the water and that makes the difference.

    So... those of you saying windows sucks probably have never used it on a day to day basis and really learned the OS.
    When it comes to windows, that's actually my daily (and virtually only) computer. I actually enjoy windows and its software support us truly vastly better than OSX. I only truly have a problem with windows 8. You wanna talk about convoluted? I couldn't find anything. Traded back "down" for windows 7. It also depends on what you want to do with your computer. Not being in these fields I have no personal experience, but people I know in things like programming and graphic design prefer macs much more. It really just depends on the context.

    ......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

  10. #8
    The only thing I noticed is that the guy dancing was filmed a black and a half from my place (3rd/Pico)! LOL!

  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
    So here is the kicker.....


    After liking the looks 10x more on OSX than Windows, learned its "culture" in the past month, i've gradually come back to Win8. It could be that 15+ years of experience on one OS or that its simply easier to setup and use.
    I think your experience is the actual kicker. I fled from Windows about 5 years ago and have never looked back. Well, I did for a second, but it was brief. I pointed a buddy to the Surface at a great price. Well, helping him get it all set up reminded me of one of the worst things about Windows in my opinion: daily updates. Oh look, another pop-up telling me to install and restart, or remind me in 4 hours...That stinks! With Windows or Mac, I'm in good shape in terms of familiarity and file infrastructure. I don't think either has a corner on the market of file organiztion. Otherwise, I absolutely love how Apple products work hand-in-hand, especially in Yosemite. Today in the office I've already taken a few calls on my iPad sitting in a speaker dock with my iPhone sitting happily in the protective belt holster. I truly dislike Windows due to many years of poor expreience, and love the OSX experinece. Here again, it's subjective, so go with what you like. Oh, my MacBook will undreline misspelled words as I go...not so on this Windows 7. Finally, personally, if I want a tablet, I'll get one. A laptop, I'll get one. I don't need to flip my laptop around all precariously to make it feel like a tablet, but that's just me...

  12. #10
    I've used the windows OS since Windows 4.11. I got my first MacBook pro about 4 years ago. I like it so much better than my old windows machine (which I custom built). These advertisements don't show real screen scenario or speed. I can do so much more on my MacBook than I was able to do on my windows PC. Especially with windows 8. It's such a horrible experience. windows 10 might be a lot better, but no one I've talked to enjoys a windows 8 PC (or the windows phones).

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
    So here is the kicker.....

    So... those of you saying windows sucks probably have never used it on a day to day basis and really learned the OS.

    I still find Mac lacking on many things (things like uninstall center or something like that).
    I think if you used OS X more you would see that installing and uninstalling a program could not be easier. It makes more sense to move a program to the Applications folder to install and then simply delete it from same location to delete and erase all necessary files.

    I was a windows user from 1985 (Windows 1.0) until 2005, until I bought my first Mac, then I never looked back.

  14. #12
    Livin a dream. H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,857
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 274 Times in 260 Posts

    Half the people in here whining and moaning about Windows 8 have used it for maybe 5 minutes at most.

    OK, they replaced your precious start menu with a larger screen with live tiles. It still has every function that the start menu had. What's so bad? People are such bandwagoners and resistant to change, it's amusing.

    I've used every version of Windows up from 95, and I don't have a single problem with 8. If it's such a big deal to you, get one of the many FREE shell extensions availiable all over the internet, rather than moaning and complaining. Seriously.

    Now let's jump to Windows Phone. What do you hate about it? Have you even used it? I've used iOS devices for 2 years, I've used Windows Phones, and I'm currently using an Android phone (GS3). Out of all, Windows Phone has by far the easiest, smoothest, and functional interface around. Sure, there aren't as many apps, but other than that, what is there to hate?

    If someone in this thread can give me a legitimate reason why OS X is better than Windows, other than "IT LOOKS PRETTY OMG LOOK AT THE SPARKLES" and "OMG IT FEELS SO FAST", I'll be amazed. I can only find one reason to like OS X: the computers that ship with it are solid and well built, despite having subpar specs. Other than that, it's insanely overpriced (don't even tell me that you're paying for quality, seriously, you're paying for the "Apple" name and logo, it's not like it costs them a lot to make them considering they're made in China just like everything else on this planet and the workers get paid a dollar an hour), lacking in features compared to Windows, etc.

    I like Linux and Windows. I don't hate OS X, but there is no real advantage to using it, and as I said, it's lacking in so many areas.

    I don't agree on the comparison of devices here, I agree that it is unfair, but in a way, it is valid because Apple doesn't even have a hybrid device, so I think that, in a way, they're attempting to showcase that. I still don't 100% agree with it, but it's valid up to a certain degree.
    Last edited by H4CK3R; 2014-11-03 at 09:38 PM.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
    The only thing I noticed is that the guy dancing was filmed a black and a half from my place (3rd/Pico)! LOL!
    Hehe awesome!

    I have to say this comparison doesn't make any sense. If you are looking for a competitor to a MacBook Air you would be looking at ASUS, Toshiba or Lenovo LAPTOPS not hybrids like the Yoga 3. It runs a tablet CPU while newer has less powerful integrated graphics than the MB Air. The Yoga 3 is priced like a higher end, much more powerful laptop. What a lame device.
    Last edited by StuG III; 2014-11-03 at 09:38 PM.

  16. #14
    By the way, I use windows 8 for my job. Still don't like it.

  17. #15
    Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia USA
    Posts
    2,197
    Thanks
    1,697
    Thanked 826 Times in 526 Posts

    Default Microsoft's New Ad Bashes the MacBook Air in Favor of the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    Half the people in here whining and moaning about Windows 8 have used it for maybe 5 minutes at most.

    OK, they replaced your precious start menu with a larger screen with live tiles. It still has every function that the start menu had. What's so bad? People are such bandwagoners and resistant to change, it's amusing.

    I've used every version of Windows up from 95, and I don't have a single problem with 8. If it's such a big deal to you, get one of the many FREE shell extensions availiable all over the internet, rather than moaning and complaining. Seriously.
    .
    I've not used 8 extensively, but I've done a decent amount in it. The problem to me between 7 and 8 is the fact that so much is obfuscated and hidden. It's like windows is afraid that you may actually know what you're doing and change some obscure setting.

    If I should run a shell extension, why should I even bother? Why not just use the FREE copy of windows 7 I already own? The basic fact of the matter is that it's a tablet/touchscreen OS running on non-touchscreen devices.

    ......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jsuddu0109 View Post
    This is like comparing apples to oranges. Rotten oranges at that.
    At least both of them are fruit

    The lenovo hardware does look good, but I would not touch Windows with a 10 foot pole.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to cpotoso For This Useful Post:

    jsuddu0109 (2014-11-04)

  20. #17
    "this also goes for the functionality that Microsoft is calling the "tent" in the video, where the backwards-folded keyboard can make for a kickstand so that the computer's display is put at a nice video viewing angle – of course, the MacBook Air can't do that"

    The angle of the MBA screen in the photo looks pretty optimal for viewing movies to me!

    This is just bad product comparison. If they want to compare a a yoga to a Mac equivalent, they should just have an empty space where the MBA sits, because the simple truth is Apple doesn’t make a hybrid equivalent yet, which is totally fine. I personally wouldn’t buy a hybrid because I think it’s just too much compromise and too high a price-to-performance ratio, so I don’t bother even looking at hybrids. conversely, someone who really wants the versatility of a hybrid wouldn’t bother looking at a MBA or windows equivalent.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
    I forced myself to use it... But the reality is that the windows OS is a much better OS for pretty much everything. OSX is more convoluted.

    For instance the software support for Windows just blows away MAC out of the water and that makes the difference.

    So... those of you saying windows sucks probably have never used it on a day to day basis and really learned the OS.

    I still find Mac lacking on many things (things like uninstall center or something like that).
    It’s clear that YOU never bothered to learn OSX well enough to pass judgement! Also, you claim OSX is convoluted, and comment how there’s no “uninstall center” but that only shows how “institutionalized” you are in Windows that you can’t even fathom the idea that an uninstall center is totally unnecessary! In OSX all you have to do is grab the application over to the trash can, empty the trash, and you’re done!

    Your perception that OSX is convoluted is built on your preconceived notions that an OS should work like Windows, and when you come on to something that doesn’t, even though that task is actually easier than Windows, you jump to the conclusion that because it doesn’t work the way you think it must be more difficult!

    I am an OSX convert of over 7 years, but I still use Windows daily at work, as are many OSX users do. So we typically we know both operating systems much better than Windows only users. Therefore, when we choose to use OSX, it is generally because we genuinely find it to be a better user experience. All people are welcome to their opinions, but it appears that yours is less based on fact that others.

    Your comment on software is also biased. I will say that there is more software on windows, but pretty much all major software developers have a Mac equivalent that is just as good. Not all the time, but the vast majority, and that meets the needs of the vast majority of consumers.

    Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    If someone in this thread can give me a legitimate reason why OS X is better than Windows, other than "IT LOOKS PRETTY OMG LOOK AT THE SPARKLES" and "OMG IT FEELS SO FAST", I'll be amazed.
    Excellent software included in iLife and iWork
    Command line
    System/software navigation
    Smart integrated file organization features
    Airplay
    Handoff
    Continuity
    Spotlight
    Install/Uninstall
    Software update management/Mac Store
    Mission Control
    Magic Trackpad/Multitouch gestures
    Memory management
    Fusion Drive
    One version
    Free OS upgrades

    These arejust a few reasons off the top of my head why I like OSX better. I could list more. And your wrong about OSX users not touching Windows more than 5 minutes. Due to the fact that Windows is the legacy OS in most pplaces, especially offices, OSX users generally have much more experiences with Windows than the other way around. So generally when we choose OSX it's a more informed and unbiased choice, whereas many Windows users have never touched OSX.

    Now, does that mean Windows doesn't have anything on OSX, of course not! Both have different qualities that may or may not appeal to people, and at the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference. If you can't understand that, then you are just being closed-minded and obtuse.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-11-03 at 11:24 PM.

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

    Carvensno (2014-11-04), Kotin6006 (2014-11-04), NSXrebel (2014-11-03)

  22. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    "this also goes for the functionality that Microsoft is calling the "tent" in the video, where the backwards-folded keyboard can make for a kickstand so that the computer's display is put at a nice video viewing angle – of course, the MacBook Air can't do that"

    The angle of the MBA screen in the photo looks pretty optimal for viewing movies to me!

    This is just bad product comparison. If they want to compare a a yoga to a Mac equivalent, they should just have an empty space where the MBA sits, because the simple truth is Apple doesn’t make a hybrid equivalent yet, which is totally fine. I personally wouldn’t buy a hybrid because I think it’s just too much compromise and too high a price-to-performance ratio, so I don’t bother even looking at hybrids. conversely, someone who really wants the versatility of a hybrid wouldn’t bother looking at a MBA or windows equivalent.



    It’s clear that YOU never bothered to learn OSX well enough to pass judgement! Also, you claim OSX is convoluted, and comment how there’s no “uninstall center” but that only shows how “institutionalized” you are in Windows that you can’t even fathom the idea that an uninstall center is totally unnecessary! In OSX all you have to do is grab the application over to the trash can, empty the trash, and you’re done!

    Your perception that OSX is convoluted is built on your preconceived notions that an OS should work like Windows, and when you come on to something that doesn’t, even though that task is actually easier than Windows, you jump to the conclusion that because it doesn’t work the way you think it must be more difficult!

    I am an OSX convert of over 7 years, but I still use Windows daily at work, as are many OSX users do. So we typically we know both operating systems much better than Windows only users. Therefore, when we choose to use OSX, it is generally because we genuinely find it to be a better user experience. All people are welcome to their opinions, but it appears that yours is less based on fact that others.

    Your comment on software is also biased. I will say that there is more software on windows, but pretty much all major software developers have a Mac equivalent that is just as good. Not all the time, but the vast majority, and that meets the needs of the vast majority of consumers.



    Excellent software included in iLife and iWork
    Command line
    System/software navigation
    Smart integrated file organization features
    Airplay
    Handoff
    Continuity
    Spotlight
    Install/Uninstall
    Software update management/Mac Store
    Mission Control
    Magic Trackpad/Multitouch gestures
    Memory management
    Fusion Drive
    One version
    Free OS upgrades

    These arejust a few reasons off the top of my head why I like OSX better. I could list more. And your wrong about OSX users not touching Windows more than 5 minutes. Due to the fact that Windows is the legacy OS in most pplaces, especially offices, OSX users generally have much more experiences with Windows than the other way around. So generally when we choose OSX it's a more informed and unbiased choice, whereas many Windows users have never touched OSX.

    Now, does that mean Windows doesn't have anything on OSX, of course not! Both have different qualities that may or may not appeal to people, and at the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference. If you can't understand that, then you are just being closed-minded and obtuse.
    Everything he said.
    I'm an IT tech/consultant and 90% of the computers I work on are Windows. I still use a OSX for my laptop because I find it's a much better experience. It's as easy as booting a Windows VM to get to anything I would need to support my customers. It only takes seconds on a SSD to come up.
    There are only 2 advantages I ever see in Windows. It's obviously a better choice for gaming and the entry level to a PC is much cheaper, but you get what you pay for.
    Also if you simply don't want to learn something new.

  23. #19
    I think it's funny how people argue over which OS is "better." It's all just personal preference and your own opinion.

    I have an Asus laptop that I tri-boot windows 7, windows 8, and OSX Mavericks on. Windows 8 really grew on me, and "StartIsBack" makes it so much better. Windows 7 runs a few of my programs better than windows 8 and OSX is good for other things like airplay, GarageBand, and Photoshop.

    I can't say one OS is better than the other because I think they're both equally awesome.

    Also, I really like that tablet. But I kinda like the surface pro 3 better. idk.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to CabooseLoL For This Useful Post:

    SpiderManAPV (2014-11-04)

  25. #20
    Command line = CMD
    Airplay = Intel WiDi
    Spotlight = Win8 Search
    Mission Control = Smart Gesture on any ASUS
    Magic Trackpad/Multitouch gestures = Smart Gesture on any ASUS
    Memory management (how OSx uses free memory?)
    Fusion Drive ...Why? dual SSDs are faster

    I had a 2012 Macbook Pro for a while. I think it came with 10.8 when I got it. the Performance was second to none and was the first Apple product I owned. I really liked the smoothness of everything. Now I own ASUS UX51 and the only advantages I see to OSX are the Apple ecosystem (Continuity), ease of use and battery life. Then it really just comes down to what you use your computer for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •