Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook: I'm Proud to be Gay

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Tim Cook: I'm Proud to be Gay

Apple CEO Tim Cook recently wrote a letter to Bloomberg Businessweek, which revealed that Cook decided to announce that he is “proud to be gay” to the public. It noted that his choice to finally announce his sexual orientation was “not easy” and was a difficult decision. Cook stated that he was open about it between colleagues and friends for years now but to announce it publicly was another story. He decided to do so though, because he wanted to “bring comfort to anyone who feels alone" and to "inspire people to insist on their equality." Cook stated:

While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven't publicly acknowledged it either, until now. So let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me. Being gay has given me a deeper understanding of what it means to be in the minority and provided a window into the challenges that people in other minority groups deal with every day.

It's made me more empathetic, which has led to a richer life. It's been tough and uncomfortable at times, but it has given me the confidence to be myself, to follow my own path, and to rise above adversity and bigotry.
    There were rumors in the past in regards to Cook’s sexual orientation, but he never publicly addressed it. He has however, supported the LGBT community in the past by marching at the 44th annual Pride parade, and supported the gay marriage rulings in 2013 in an issued statement. Cook has also mentioned in the past the importance of diversity and equality

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

Apple CEO Tim Cook recently wrote a letter to Bloomberg Businessweek, which revealed that Cook decided to announce that he is “proud to be gay” to the public. It noted that his choice to finally announce his sexual orientation was “not easy” and was a difficult decision. Cook stated that he was open about it between colleagues and friends for years now but to announce it publicly was another story. He decided to do so though, because he wanted to “bring comfort to anyone who feels alone" and to "inspire people to insist on their equality." Cook stated:

There were rumors in the past in regards to Cook’s sexual orientation, but he never publicly addressed it. He has however, supported the LGBT community in the past by marching at the 44th annual Pride parade, and supported the gay marriage rulings in 2013 in an issued statement. Cook has also mentioned in the past the importance of diversity and equality

Source: Bloomberg
    I have a hard time accepting the gay idea... I very active in my church which has always taught me that God persecuted Gays. With me now being in a relation ship with a young lady that has a daughter that has autism and she really thinks of herself as a boy, makes it hard to believe that God could punish this little girl for acting normal. I've came to the conclusion that I keep my relationship to my self and don't go around saying I'm straight and I wouldn't want to be made fun of for being straight! So what other people's status is their decision and people shouldn't care.

it's like saying I'm proud to be a woman/man, or tall/small. Stupid, nothing more.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Obviously Steve Jobs and others that work there don't care at Apple LOL

I'm not trying to start anything between God and beliefs. But it's almost kinda a hypocritical thing between what the bible says about gay people, but then everyone is suppose to be a child of God. So if that is the case? If you were born a child of God, but gay, shouldn't you be loved anyways besides what the bible says. But then again, there are people that are born gay and others that choose to be gay for whatever reasons. So maybe the bible is referring to them that choose to be, rather than being born with it. Just saying!

I am straight and have a girlfriend, but also have gay friends also. I also go to church and know some gay people that go to church also.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post

I'm not trying to start anything between God and beliefs. But it's almost kinda a hypocritical thing between what the bible says about gay people, but then everyone is suppose to be a child of God. So if that is the case? If you were born a child of God, but gay, shouldn't you be loved anyways besides what the bible says. But then again, there are people that are born gay and others that choose to be gay for whatever reasons. So maybe the bible is referring to them that choose to be, rather than being born with it. Just saying!

I am straight and have a girlfriend, but also have gay friends also. I also go to church and know some gay people that go to church also.
    I can't speak for all religions but in mine (LDS or "Mormon") we're taught that God loves us no matter what. I know a lot of mormons that are gay, it doesn't mean God hates them, He loves all his children and just wants to see them be happy. Now you hear about mormons bashing on gays and telling them that what they're doing is wrong, but that's a personal choice that those indiviuals have choosen to say or believe, they don't represent the church as a whole. So you hear all this negativity against the LDS church when it comes to sexuality when in reality the church's view is to not discriminate, they want ppl to know that God loves them no matter what.

Anyway, I didn't want to get all preachy there but I think it's cool that Tim came out publicly, he's a great example of what you can accomplish despite adversity!

Quote Originally Posted by nesamone View Post
    it's like saying I'm proud to be a woman/man, or tall/small. Stupid, nothing more.

Exactly

gay people should keep that ***** to them self!!!!
    ModMy

Religion...

Man wrote the Bible, Quran, Torah, whatever, and they added/withheld a lot of stuff as they deemed necessary for their intentions.
    That's all I'll say on religion.

Good on Tim. I'm straight, from Catholic parents, but I don't practice religion. I have lots of gay friends, and I respect them like any other friends. Get over yourself with your hatred.

GOOD FOR HIM!!! We are all equal, gay or straight
    Last edited by orgy9111; 2014-10-30 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    Religion...

Man wrote the Bible, Quran, Torah, whatever, and they added/withheld a lot of stuff as they deemed necessary for their intentions.
    That's all I'll say on religion.

Good on Tim. I'm straight, from Catholic parents, but I don't practice religion. I have lots of gay friends, and I respect them like any other friends. Get over yourself with your hatred.
    I don't understand why you say that. Have you studied the Quran, bible and Torah to make that claim?

Quote Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
    I don't understand why you say that. Have you studied the Quran, bible and Torah to make that claim?
    Do you need to study a dictionary to know it was man made?

Quote Originally Posted by TwinSouls View Post
    Do you need to study a dictionary to know it was man made?
    Sigh....Does a dictionary claim to be the word of God?

there is no god... honestly people. unless of course all mythological stories are real like the tooth fairy, santa clause and peter pan

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is this in an Apple forum? He's gay. OK, so? I see a lot of unnecessary bashing by both sides.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

I don't think Tim was hiding anything. It was pretty well known. He just never made a "statement" as straight people don't have to make statements about their sexual orientation. Unfortunately, society can't leave well enough alone. People have to talk about it and speculate. News stories are written about it. It makes no sense!

It'll be nice when the day comes when such a thing doesn't have to be stated. Gay and straight people will all just be normal and carry on their normal, private lives in their own right. But for now, strong people in leadership position do need to make statements like this to battle the ignorance and prejudice out there.

Three words: Council of Nicaea! Look it up!

The Bible is man-made. It was written, and edited, by men. It borrows heavily from vegan rituals and beliefs that predate it. For example,e marriage rituals predate the bible.

Quote Originally Posted by redwolf View Post
    Exactly

gay people should keep that ***** to them self!!!!
    As long as you keep your hetero **** to yourself. No kissing, hugging, or holding of the opposite sex in public.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-10-31 at 03:54 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2014-10-31)

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I don't think Tim was hiding anything. It was pretty well known. He just never made a "statement" as straight people don't have to make statements about their sexual orientation. Unfortunately, society can't leave well enough alone. People have to talk about it and speculate. News stories are written about it. It makes no sense!

It'll be nice when the day comes when such a thing doesn't have to be stated. Gay and straight people will all just be normal and carry on their normal, private lives in their own right. But for now, strong people in leadership position do need to make statements like this to battle the ignorance and prejudice out there.

Three words: Council of Nicaea! Look it up!

The Bible is man-made. It was written, and edited, by men. It borrows heavily from vegan rituals and beliefs that predate it. For example,e marriage rituals predate the bible.

As long as you keep your hetero **** to yourself. No kissing, hugging, or holding of the opposite sex in public.
    i believe you mean pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post

Well, FYI, the Bible states very clearly that we are adopted into the family of God. This idea I hear so commonly that "we are all God's children" is simply made up by people wanting to believe so. If interested, I'll post the verse references. Otherwise, Jesus teaches in the Bible to love your enemy, pray for those who persecute you (you being the Christian), and that ALL are sinners and needs to accept Jesus to be saved. The old testament Jewish law imposed many harsh and unbearable requirements that were designed to point out our inability to follow His perfect standard.

The fact that Mr. Cook is gay is not a revelation to many. It's his business, should be kept that way, and I'm not going to give him an award for publicizing it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nesamone View Post
    well, so if you walk in a street holding hands with a girl, do people around you say in your face "ha you're man"?
    think about it, because they're not treated equal like us so they have to say they're proud although people treat them like sh!t
    if you see a man holding another man in a street, i don't know but some people gonna be like "ha you're gay"
    get the point, they're like us but they're treated differently, don't compare when nothing's the same