Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Capture Your iOS 8 Device's Display in Video Using Your OS X Yosemite Machine [Video]

Default How to Capture Your iOS 8 Device's Display in Video Using Your OS X Yosemite Machine

One of the cool new features of iOS 8, which is Apple's premier mobile operating system, and OS X Yosemite 10.10, which is Apple's premier desktop operating system, is that they can work together to capture the display of your iOS 8 device in video over the USB sync cable using the updated QuickTime Player application in the OS X Yosemite operating system.

Once plugged into your Mac running OS X Yosemite with your USB sync cable from Apple, your iOS 8 device will show up under the camera source list. You can then easily switch over to capturing your iOS 8 device's display instead of using the FaceTime camera to record yourself.

To start a new video capture of your iOS 8 device's display, you would open the QuickTime Player application on your Mac running OS X Yosemite, and then you would go to File > New Movie Recording:

When you click on that, QuickTime Player will open up and try recording you via your FaceTime camera on your Mac. The next thing you need to go to the little drop-down arrow next to the record button and select your iOS device from the source list instead of your FaceTime camera, as shown below:

You can choose both the video input and the audio input. You can have the video from your iOS device or your Mac, and you can have the audio from your iOS device or your Mac.

This new video capture ability is awesome and is a great addition to the operating system for those that want to record themselves playing games, or record a wonderful how-to video for their friends. Once recorded, you can do whatever you want with the movie file – share or edit it.

You can watch our video demonstration of how to capture your iOS 8 device's display in video using Mac OS X Yosemite's QuickTime Player application below:

Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-10-18 at 05:58 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me AKCHRIS's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a nice Feature for those whom wanna make video tutorials & don't want to pay for Apps such as Reflector will Welcome this. Although I have reflector and will Probably us it more often as to the fact that I don't need to be plugged in to Do this since I can use the Airplay feature. I'm sure there will be a Future Update to tackle this issue not that it's a Big One.

Yes, this was a VERY pleasant surprise they didn't mention. One thing, though—if you take even a short video and send it over iMessages to somebody, iMessages will change the bitrate of the video to like 2, lol. That one was an unpleasant surprise.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Yes, this was a VERY pleasant surprise they didn't mention. One thing, though—if you take even a short video and send it over iMessages to somebody, iMessages will change the bitrate of the video to like 2, lol. That one was an unpleasant surprise.
    Actually they did back at the WWDC, but again it would have been nice if they had shown it again

Thanks

Very nice..like the integration.