Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prime Minister of Finland Blames the iPhone and iPad for Country's Economic Downfall

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Prime Minister of Finland Blames the iPhone and iPad for Country's Economic Downfall

In a recent interview which discusses Finland’s recent sovereign debt downgrade, Prime Minister Alexander Stubb stated that that Apple’s iOS devices (mainly the iPhone and iPad) killed Nokia and the paper industry, both of which played a major role in Finland’s economy. As a result, the iOS devices were seen as contributors to the downfall of Finland’s economy and the subsequent performance of its debt rating. For those of you who didn’t know, Standard & Poor’s recently downgraded the country’s debt rating to AA+ from AAA.

It should be noted that the prime minister had the same comments regarding Finland’s troubled economy earlier in the year. Stubb said the following regarding the matter:

A little bit paradoxically I guess one could say that the iPhone killed Nokia and the iPad killed the Finnish paper industry, but we'll make a comeback.
    Finland is a major player in the European paper industry and plays an important role as the production site for companies, UPM-Kymmene and Stora Enso. According to the prime minister, the increasing popularity of tablets such as the iPad have impacted the paper industry negatively.

Even though Finland has to deal with a troubled economy, Stubb continues to remain confident that Nokia and their paper industry can turn the situation around. For those of you who didn’t know, Nokia previously sold off its mobility division and associated branding trademarks to Microsoft for $7.2 billion. Furthermore, it appears to already be showing gains in the telecommunications infrastructure sector. More recently, Nokia announced plans to expand availability of its “Here” mapping service on both the iOS and Android platforms.

We’ll have to see if what Stubb said comes to fruition. It would be nice though as a little competition never hurts and usually at the end, the group that ends up benefitting the most are consumers.

Source: CNBC

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Did they blame the auto manufacturers when the wagon builders lost jobs? You can't stop progress nor blame it for your troubles. If it wasn't the iPhone it would of been something else. Nokia dropped the ball and paper processing is highly toxic, nature is smiling in Finland today.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-10-14)

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Did they blame the auto manufacturers when the wagon builders lost jobs? You can't stop progress nor blame it for your troubles. If it wasn't the iPhone it would of been something else. Nokia dropped the ball and paper processing is highly toxic, nature is smiling in Finland today.
    "You can't stop progress nor blame it for your troubles" True and yes you can. They should have planned better when Nokia first started showing a downward sales trend. They can blame their problems on the iPhone & iPad and Nokia not being ready for competition. Those are the issues you face when you have an economy based on only a few industries that can easy face disruption. Diversity is the key.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RandyTG For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The blame game. I hope their economy bounces back. At the same time, they need to innovate or find a way. Depending on the old program is obviously not working as times change and tech evolves. What would Australia do if we stopped using coal? A country has to prepare for this..can't get all worked up and upset when you fall on your face. Take time to prepare, evolve and grow.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

shouldnt he blame nokia then for not keeping up?

Maybe it is poor leadership on is part.

Good,
    For years Nokia ripped us off, the churned out cheap and nasty phones, charged us a fortune , make huge profits, did sod innovation and just sat back counting their money. The phones were rubbish . I used to look forward to my contract renewal, and each and every time just over a few months from the renewal the old phone I'd given to my daughter / son packed in. Dreadful, Abd all I say is tough mate, shows that you should have used your profits for R&D.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually read a very interesting article saying that Nokia was far ahead of its time in hardware, the problem was that the top execs couldn't decide on a software so they decided to just mash some stuff together. As is said all over this forum, the software makes the phone.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!